Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol leak and replacing the fuel pump

Views : 1260

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2023, 13:09   #1
volvo2
Master Member

Default Petrol leak and replacing the fuel pump

2002 Volvo V70 petrol

I can’t seem to find much on the forum for the fuel pump leaking and replacing the pump, even though this seems a fairly common issue. I recently replaced the rubber pipe on the filler line after seeing petrol leaking during filling - ONLY during filling and no other time. All had been well for about a year until I could smell petrol around the rear of the car but ONLY after driving the car. No petrol leak was visible during filling. After a little online research, it seems this could be coming from the plastic top of the petrol pump itself. So today I removed the cover under the back seat to have a look. By the way, there is an excellent how-to guide on this here (it’s not difficult but takes a while): https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...hp?f=9&t=67480

I attach a couple of photos. At the base there seems to be petrol visible (and smellable). Also, some sort of jelly-like deposit. Any ideas what that could be – it is dried out petrol maybe?

Anyway, I’ve ordered a new pump with the intention of replacing over the Christmas period. What I’m slightly puzzled by is where the electrical connection to the pump is? I notice that most guides / YouTube videos on this (this one is quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmRebDmvStQ&t=764s and also does not have the pump electrical connection) mention a plug on the pump, but as can be seen from the images, I don’t have one! Maybe it is via the unit under the other cover (on the LHS)?

I've also ordered this tool to undo the pump locking ring: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374858741...3Avlp_homepage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel pump 1.jpg (159.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump 2.jpg (249.5 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by volvo2; Dec 9th, 2023 at 13:12.
volvo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 14:23   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2 View Post
2002 Volvo V70 petrol

I can’t seem to find much on the forum for the fuel pump leaking and replacing the pump, even though this seems a fairly common issue. I recently replaced the rubber pipe on the filler line after seeing petrol leaking during filling - ONLY during filling and no other time. All had been well for about a year until I could smell petrol around the rear of the car but ONLY after driving the car. No petrol leak was visible during filling. After a little online research, it seems this could be coming from the plastic top of the petrol pump itself. So today I removed the cover under the back seat to have a look. By the way, there is an excellent how-to guide on this here (it’s not difficult but takes a while): https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...hp?f=9&t=67480

I attach a couple of photos. At the base there seems to be petrol visible (and smellable). Also, some sort of jelly-like deposit. Any ideas what that could be – it is dried out petrol maybe?

Anyway, I’ve ordered a new pump with the intention of replacing over the Christmas period. What I’m slightly puzzled by is where the electrical connection to the pump is? I notice that most guides / YouTube videos on this (this one is quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmRebDmvStQ&t=764s and also does not have the pump electrical connection) mention a plug on the pump, but as can be seen from the images, I don’t have one! Maybe it is via the unit under the other cover (on the LHS)?

I've also ordered this tool to undo the pump locking ring: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374858741...3Avlp_homepage
There are TWO sender units both under the back seats, the main one with the pump is under the right seat . Your leak on the left side is probably the green rubber seal ring softened, can you nip up the big ring a bit ?

Last edited by Clan; Dec 9th, 2023 at 14:26.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 14:32   #3
volvo2
Master Member

I did try to move the ring by hand with no luck. I have ordered the socket for the ring from eBay so I will try tightening it when that arrives. Can I ask, in your experience, how often is it just a case of tightening vs. the plastic cracked, as there seems to be a lot of YouTube videos showing the plastic cracked. I must say that I can't see any cracking.

I'm not sure if this is related, but the other thing I've noticed of late is that I think I can hear the pump priming in a way I never did before. It's like a sort of sort swoosh sound when I turn the ignition key to start the car.

Last edited by volvo2; Dec 9th, 2023 at 14:44.
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 16:55   #4
rogereld

I had to replace the fuel pump on our 2001 2.4T petrol V70 in December 2022. For a while I could smell fuel near the rear driver side of the car on random occasions but could not identify the source of the problem. At first I thought it could be the fuel filler. Eventually I traced it to a cracked plastic top on the fuel pump under the rear right seat.

The electrical connections go inside the tank to the fuel sender under the rear Left seat. The covers are similar. There are a bundle of wires and a connecting tube that run inside the petrol tank from one side to the other. You need to open both sides to disconnect the wiring to the pump. Do not remove the pump without first attaching a bit of wire or something to the end of the cables. you then use this to pull the replacement wires back inside the fuel tank from one side to the other. It is a good idea to do the job with as little fuel in the tank as possible.

Replacing the fuel pump presents a significant risk of fire or explosion as there are two open holes inside the rear passenger area which can fill the car with petrol vapour if left open with the doors and windows closed. I disconnected the battery completely before starting work. Using the remote door lock and setting off the interior lights with a car full of petrol vapour is not a good idea. Get all the replacement parts ready before you open the pump and sender unit. Have all the doors and windows open and do not use electric lamps or any other items that could ignite fuel. Do not use electric or battery power tools. I replaced my fuel pump last December. It was not the best time of year with cold weather and short daylight hours to have the car unlocked with doors open.

I had some difficulty finding the correct part. There are several that look similar but differ from one vehicle to another.
This forum thread may help. https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=329056
rogereld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogereld For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 17:18   #5
volvo2
Master Member

A smell of fuel near the rear driver side of the car on random occasions is exactly what I am getting. Given that the leak seems minor, I had considered leaving it until the summer. I note like you, others report a failure in the circular part with the cross. Did you have a puddle of petrol in there? I don't seem to have that but it must be seeping from somewhere. I'll start by tightening the ring, although that seems a long-shot to me.
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 17:28   #6
rogereld

This thread shows a picture of where my pump was leaking. I suspect constant heating in summer and freezing in winter over 20+ years may have made the plastic brittle and caused it to crack. The plastic is white. Some models have a pump made of a yellow plastic that may be different and less prone to cracking. The petrol models may use a different material to diesel? It was not easy to find the leak. I opened the hatch a couple of times to look before going ahead with the replacement. On one occasion there was a small amount of petrol in the "cross" section. On another occasion it looked dry but the dirt and dust around the area was damp. The fuel had probably evaporated before I saw it.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=328878&page=2
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 17:38   #7
volvo2
Master Member

I noticed that the dirt in the circular region with the cross was looking damp on mine too but not wet like the area in the lower part of my photo - which is odd. I thinking more and more that I may have to replace the pump, which I am assuming will be expensive if I go to Volvo. Where did you find your replacement pump?
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 18:37   #8
rogereld

I ordered a Hella 8TF 358 146-561 Fuel feed unit from Autodoc on 24 November 2022. By 14 December it had not arrived. During the wait I had found a vehicle dismantler who had an original Volvo pump (somewhere near Coventry I think). I made a direct bank transfer and he sent it to me via DHL. It arrived the following day. I cancelled the original undelivered Autodoc parcel which had been with Evri for several weeks and eventually received a refund from Autodoc.

The part I fitted was a used original volvo pump stamped with part number 30761743 which was a replacement for the original which was stamped with part number 8649681. I took a chance having seen pictures of the part and made a guess that the donor car had already had a fuel pump replacement in its lifetime as the original part number had been changed for a newer one. So far it has worked with no leaks.
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 22:58   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo2 View Post
I did try to move the ring by hand with no luck. I have ordered the socket for the ring from eBay so I will try tightening it when that arrives. Can I ask, in your experience, how often is it just a case of tightening vs. the plastic cracked, as there seems to be a lot of YouTube videos showing the plastic cracked. I must say that I can't see any cracking.

I'm not sure if this is related, but the other thing I've noticed of late is that I think I can hear the pump priming in a way I never did before. It's like a sort of sort swoosh sound when I turn the ignition key to start the car.
Working on them on a professional basis for many years I have never come across a cracked ring, or a leaking one un-molested from the factory. you just fit a new seal ring and tighten it firmly not as hard as you can' and make sure every piece of grit is removed from the groove the rubber seal sits in.... I would suggest someone previously has overtightened it if cracked.
your swoosh sound with a low fuel level is likely to be the jet venturi device on the end of the left hand pick up, it sucks up fuel and transfers it to the Right side.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 11:00   #10
volvo2
Master Member

OK, thank you Clan. I will get a new Volvo seal (from Volvo) and do as you say, then report back.
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo2 For This Useful Post: