Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power system! Service Urgent! Car dead!

Views : 883

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 15th, 2021, 19:31   #1
VolvoRob38

Default Power system! Service Urgent! Car dead!

Hi all...

I have had a Reduced Engine Performance message and service due on the dash at start up for a few months, and I was just driving to my lockup when a red message popped up "Power System, service urgent". I continue on to my destination as I was 2mins away. The message disappeared after 1min and replaced with intermittent "anti skid temporarily off" message.

I turn the car off to get what I need from the lockup and had a quick google to see what these msgs are all about, got back in the car and its dead.... completely dead. Not even the buzz of the steering wheel lock when putting in the key.

I have briefly read; alternator, ecm... The battery isnt that old, but I dont drive it very often. Even now, I think this is the first time its been driven in over a week. I work from home so it doesnt get used, and when it does its usually short journeys around my local area.

Im stuck now about 5 miles from home, so will have to come back tomorrow with someone to try and bump it. Aleast to get it to a garage. My local volvo is 1 hour away, so not ideal!

Anyone experienced this before and know what to do?

TIA

P.s. the blue dials in one pic I got from another thread. The others are mine.

UPDATE: my mate just come with his jump leads and we got it started. First time the car died again as soon as we removed the jump leads. So did it again and left them on for a good 5mins and 2nd time it stayed running and I have now driven it home. If it starts tomorrow I will yake it on a long drive to charge it up.
Is there a possability that something is draining the battery? I narrowed the Reduced Engine Performance issue down to either the glow plugs themselves or their power source. I have been meaning to check their voltage for months.

As I dont use the car very often, could something as simple as the car alarm be draining the battery?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210915_175404_640x480.jpg (187.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20210915_175415_640x480.jpg (191.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20210915_175357_640x480.jpg (184.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20210915_192558_640x480.jpg (132.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by VolvoRob38; Sep 15th, 2021 at 20:37.
VolvoRob38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 20:54   #2
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Will be alternator. Common as anything on these.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 21:00   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Alternator as well.

They get an internal short.
I am on my 3rd!! (in 13 years)

Would be tempted to remove the battery straight away and charge it otherwise the short will kill the battery as well.

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Sep 15th, 2021 at 21:04.
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 21:39   #4
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
Alternator as well.

They get an internal short.
I am on my 3rd!! (in 13 years)

Would be tempted to remove the battery straight away and charge it otherwise the short will kill the battery as well.

Iain
Is it caused by a short in the alternator? Could this cause a Reduced Engine Performance message I wonder...

Is there anyway to confirm its the alternator as well e.g. in Vida?

Thanks guys
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 21:57   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
When it happened to me all the systems started shutting down with the power steering pump and then finally the engine.

The alternator was too hot to touch and there was a bit of smoke coming from it.

I immediately disconnected the battery which saved it.
If you leave the battery connected that will very shortly be toast as well.

Quote:
Is it caused by a short in the alternator? Could this cause a Reduced Engine Performance message I wonder...
As the voltage drops you will get systems shutting down and various warnings come up. So more than likely

Save your battery, disconnect it at least, and then charge it later

All the systems on this car are very reliant on good battery voltage, they will shutdown and/or give various warning messages when the voltage starts dropping. these shutdowns and warnings become more regular before the end.
My last one, it all happened within 15 minutes, various systems shut down multiple warnings and finally, a lot of heat, a bit of smoke and then total shut down

Iain

Last edited by IainG; Sep 15th, 2021 at 22:04.
IainG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 23:10   #6
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi
When it happened to me all the systems started shutting down with the power steering pump and then finally the engine.

The alternator was too hot to touch and there was a bit of smoke coming from it.

I immediately disconnected the battery which saved it.
If you leave the battery connected that will very shortly be toast as well.

As the voltage drops you will get systems shutting down and various warnings come up. So more than likely

Save your battery, disconnect it at least, and then charge it later

All the systems on this car are very reliant on good battery voltage, they will shutdown and/or give various warning messages when the voltage starts dropping. these shutdowns and warnings become more regular before the end.
My last one, it all happened within 15 minutes, various systems shut down multiple warnings and finally, a lot of heat, a bit of smoke and then total shut down

Iain
I did notice my engine cover felt very hot to the touch. I was sat in the car for 15 - 20mins waiting for my mate, googling these codes. When I popped the bonnet after the engine was still super hot. Cooled down after 5mins with the bonnet open, but wasn't sure if that heat was normal.
Could a hot alternator heat the whole engine, or am I just making links that arent there?
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 13:46   #7
VolvoRob38

Last night I lock the car with the manual key so that the alarm wouldn't be activated and drain the battery. Ive just been out in the car and started up as normal, although I can hear a squeek like a belt is slipping.
Can someone please confirm if I have a timing belt or chain on my c30 1.6d 2009 (photo attached). Reading online it sounded like it had a chain, but looking in the engine I can see a plastic case that makes me not so sure. This does seem to be directly above the alternator belt though, so possibly something else. Ive not taken the engine cover off for a proper look. which is still getting very hot I might add.

I tried checking the battery voltage, not sure if I have it on the right setting because I read set it to 20 on V, but as there are two Vs on my multimeter I wasn't sure what the additional squiggly / dotted lines mean.
Testing on this setting anyway shows 11.65 with engine off and with engine running, so I assume there is still charge in the battery but not being charged by the alternator?
I dont understand why it died last night, but today starts ok, and charge in the battery (assuming thats the correct setting/reading). Unless that 11.65v is from the jumpstart and drive home last night?

I reckon I can do the alternator, not so sure about the timing belt. Im at 69k now so it probably due a change, if its a belt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210916_123044_600x800.jpg (286.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20210916_122804_640x480.jpg (215.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by VolvoRob38; Sep 16th, 2021 at 13:49.
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 17:14   #8
PNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 View Post
I tried checking the battery voltage, not sure if I have it on the right setting because I read set it to 20 on V, but as there are two Vs on my multimeter I wasn't sure what the additional squiggly / dotted lines mean.
Squiggly line is AC and dotted line is DC. To check the battery you'll need it on DC.
PNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 21:10   #9
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoRob38 View Post
Last night I lock the car with the manual key so that the alarm wouldn't be activated and drain the battery. Ive just been out in the car and started up as normal, although I can hear a squeek like a belt is slipping.
Can someone please confirm if I have a timing belt or chain on my c30 1.6d 2009 (photo attached). Reading online it sounded like it had a chain, but looking in the engine I can see a plastic case that makes me not so sure. This does seem to be directly above the alternator belt though, so possibly something else. Ive not taken the engine cover off for a proper look. which is still getting very hot I might add.

Testing on this setting anyway shows 11.65 with engine off and with engine running, so I assume there is still charge in the battery but not being charged by the alternator?
I dont understand why it died last night, but today starts ok, and charge in the battery (assuming thats the correct setting/reading). Unless that 11.65v is from the jumpstart and drive home last night?

I reckon I can do the alternator, not so sure about the timing belt. Im at 69k now so it probably due a change, if its a belt.
11.65v with engine Off and on = goosed alternator
shortly to be followed by goosed battery

Disconnect the battery
get replacement alternator THEN reconnect the battery

alternator going internal short Will cause Serious heat , to the point that there MIGHT in the worse case be a fire in the engine bay,,,, Disconnect the battery

anything Less than 12v with the engine off = your going to get Issues with the cars systems
less than 12v with the engine ON ,, your going to get issues with the cars systems ,need a New alternator and very probably a new battery

my advice would be
phone volvo main dealer, get Exchange alternator from them,
fit
cross fingers you havent goosed battery,, if you have go back to main dealer for a Volvo battery, they Fit, are the Correct CCA for the car and Will last 7-8+ years,
Old Sep 17th, 2021, 01:24   #10
VolvoRob38

Thanks guys 👍🏼....

I phoned Volvo today to ask for a price for the alternator, and timing belt while they're at it... that'll be an even £1000 haha.... Leave it with me pal I'll let you know lol.

Ordered an alternator, belt, and tensioner today from CES auto at a fraction of the cost, and they buy back the old one for £48.60, so happy days. Thats my weekend sorted lol.

Thinking of selling her for a 2.0L petrol Type R with a timing chain, and running it for 200,000 into the ground.

Last edited by VolvoRob38; Sep 17th, 2021 at 01:26.