Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange rpm behaviour when releasing the accelerator pedal

Views : 1356

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2018, 15:53   #1
mirelay

Default Strange rpm behaviour when releasing the accelerator pedal

Hello,

I have a Volvo S60 2001 with the petrol B5244S2 engine and manual transmission. It is has the throttle repaired by some German company Actronics and has the Sacer module in it (done by some previous owners).

I have observed the following:
First, it has a rev hang, but I've read that this is common for these ETMs.

Second, when I drive and release the throttle pedal and I move to neutral, the rpms does not fall completely to idle, but fall an hang at somewhere around 1200 for 1-2 seconds, then continue to 1000, where a shorter hang can be noticed. Then the fall to (I suppose 750) idle.
This also happens when I stay at a traffic light and decide to rev to say 3000 rpm and release the gas pedal.

Sometimes, when I decelerate to stop, the RPM hang under the normal 750, but I rarely observe that, after I changed my serpentine belt, tensioner and alternator freewheel.

If it is a vacuum leak, where should I look at?

I will be happy for your advice.
mirelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 16:58   #2
AndyV7o
Premier Member

It might just be anti-stall measures due to a very lean mixture because of emissions etc...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 17:34   #3
oragex
Premier Member

Being the non turbo it is fairly easily to clean the throttle body flap with a piece of lint free cloth, just undo the large hose at the tb then flip the flap open and clean both sides all around all surfaces. But it may also be an issue with the throttle body itself.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 19:56   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Regarding cleaning the ETM on a non-turbo.

Is it OK to move it by hand or should it be opened and closed by moving the accelerator pedal?

I don't want to strip any gears or damage any small motors.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 21:37   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
Regarding cleaning the ETM on a non-turbo.

Is it OK to move it by hand or should it be opened and closed by moving the accelerator pedal?

I don't want to strip any gears or damage any small motors.
You won't be able to cause any damage it is an extremely robust device , direct drive with no gears at all … ( Unlike the later ones which do have gears that can strip )
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 00:56   #6
mirelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Being the non turbo it is fairly easily to clean the throttle body flap with a piece of lint free cloth, just undo the large hose at the tb then flip the flap open and clean both sides all around all surfaces. But it may also be an issue with the throttle body itself.
I cleaned it once some time after I bought the car, but just from one side, without removing the throttle body. It was very clean any way (I've seen pictures of very bad throttles). Yesterday, just before posting, I removed it from the car an cleaned it from both sides, and payed attention to the hinges. It still ran the same.
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 09:07   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink The system needs to "re-learn" i.e. self adapt to new values

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirelay View Post
Yesterday, just before posting, I removed it from the car an cleaned it from both sides, and payed attention to the hinges. It still ran the same.
Did you re-use the gasket or replace it when you re-fitted the ETM? Apparently re-used ones tend to leak, which can cause problems.

When the ETM is removed the ECU "re-learns" how it is performing so will initially run the same way that it was. When the system has fully updated it should alter how it is idling and the "hanging" should stop.

There's a how to for the 850 series at the link below, but the same process works for most Volvos/cars & other similarly controlled cars/vans & etc.

http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/8...rn-procedures/

The exact procedure differs a little depending upon year of manufacture and model but the key is to let it idle for 5 or 10 minutes BEFORE you start driving it after doing anything with the throttle body.

It might be better to restart the process by either disconnecting the battery if you have the radio code, and carrying out a cold reset - battery disconnected for in excess of 15 minutes - short +ve and -ve battery leads/clamps, which makes sure that the memory is dumped. Reconnect the battery having turned the ignition key to positionII to prevent the airbags firing or you could try pulling the ecu fuse for ten minutes if you don't want to mess about disconnecting the battery.

When you've got everything turned off - including the lights, if you have DLRs put the light switch to the sidelight position start the car and let it idle for at least ten minutes in neutral with the hand brake off. If yours is an auto, then turn off the engine after those ten minutes and put it in drive with the wheels chocked so it can't roll forward, again letting it idle for ten minutes with the handbrake off. Apparently keeping the hand brake off means no warning light so the only current drain is from the various sensors/ecu/cem which makes it re-learn more quickly.

The process also works if you ever replace lambda sensors etc.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Aug 5th, 2018 at 10:05.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 11:11   #8
mirelay

Thank you for the details.
Yes, I had a new gasket, so I put it after the clean.
I will try the reset process.
I tried this, which I read on some Volvo forums:
Ignition to position 2 and then press all the way and release (both directions slowly) the throttle pedal twice, but this doesn't help.

Yesterday I also removed the MAP and tried to clean it with MAF cleaner. Some time ago my MAP hose was off, I found that the car will stall behave very bad if you manage to keep it in revs. (I wasn't intentional, I didn't know what the problem was at that time)

Last edited by mirelay; Aug 5th, 2018 at 11:19.
The Following User Says Thank You to mirelay For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2018, 13:28   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirelay View Post
Thank you for the details.
Yes, I had a new gasket, so I put it after the clean.
I will try the reset process.
I tried this, which I read on some Volvo forums:
Ignition to position 2 and then press all the way and release (both directions slowly) the throttle pedal twice, but this doesn't help.

Yesterday I also removed the MAP and tried to clean it with MAF cleaner. Some time ago my MAP hose was off, I found that the car will stall behave very bad if you manage to keep it in revs. (I wasn't intentional, I didn't know what the problem was at that time)
Your " problem" is normal after a new throttle or repair ., you have to drive the car around, do some idling too , switch off .. you might have to do this twice , That should re adapt the throttle , When you turn off, the system learns the new figures , so try it a few times.
Old Aug 6th, 2018, 10:12   #10
mirelay

I started to suspect the break booster, so tried multiple break pushes when the car is stopped and at idle. See the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPww6iYQyI

Last edited by mirelay; Aug 6th, 2018 at 10:15.