Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo B5 engine details

Views : 5771

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2019, 16:53   #1
xsaab
Master Member

Default Volvo B5 engine details

I am interested in the B5 engine, how it works etc, I have seen some data but I cannot find a very detailed description. I have been actively Googling but so far I have not got the full information (for what it is worth)

Thank you for any info or directions
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xsaab For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 09:09   #2
jonnyu

The B5 engine is a mild hybrid which is basically either the D5 or the T5 engine with an additional electrical engine.

The B5 engine is the only one that can have either a petrol or a diesel engine, depending on what model you are buying.

The B5 engine will have an additional 14 hp electrical engine while the B4 for example will have an additional 10hp electrical engine.

What happens is that the battery will charge each time you break. Then you you need to take off, the electrical engine will help on reducing the effort done by the diesel or petrol engine and therefore reducing the fuel consumption and increasing the performance at the same time.

Keep in mind that the 14hp of the electrical engine equals to 40Nm of additional torque.
So basically for the user, the B4, B5 or B6 is "invisible". You dont need to do anything different comparing to normal petrol or diesel engines.

Check more info here:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...2019-uk-review

Last edited by jonnyu; Aug 27th, 2019 at 09:12.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 11:52   #3
xsaab
Master Member

Thank you - I have driven a B4 it appeared to be much smoother on startup. At the moment there is not a Polestar option for the B5 - perhaps the Polestar techs could not improve the performance of the Brange of engines.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 13:00   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
What happens is that the battery will charge each time you break.
So the charge on the battery depends on the reliability of the car... the more unreliable (the more times the car breaks) the better the charge???

Or do you mean brake?
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 13:14   #5
jonnyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
So the charge on the battery depends on the reliability of the car... the more unreliable (the more times the car breaks) the better the charge???

Or do you mean brake?
Typo. He got the idea without being a smart-arse.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 13:44   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsaab View Post
I am interested in the B5 engine, how it works etc, I have seen some data but I cannot find a very detailed description. I have been actively Googling but so far I have not got the full information (for what it is worth)

Thank you for any info or directions
From what i understand it is very similar to the old V60 D6 Hybrid It has an oversized alternator which acts both as an AC generator and a powerful AC motor with a hefty Aux belt and special tensioner .
There is a small electric vehicle battery which gets charged when you take your foot off the throttle or you brake brake ( Much like alternators do on volvos since the first Driv e models 10 years ago but on a bigger scale .)
so the current flows back and forth between the alternator/motor and the battery . the starting is dead silent as there is no mechanical gears involved , just the Alternator/motor unit starting the engine via the AUX belt ... .

something well worth having .. the energy usually wasted when braking or slowing down is recovered to be used again for power .
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 17:16   #7
xsaab
Master Member

I read forums with my eyes and with my mouth, the mouth pronounces the sound (silently), then the sound is processed by the mind.

So again thanks for the information coming forth. I should get one in October.
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 08:35   #8
jonnyu

I apologize for this but there are some users that don't contribute positively to future or current owners questions and they only intent to flame off topic discussions, as usual in internet forums.
There is a psychological justification for that, I'm sure.
I'm glad that you will consider a Volvo as your next car.
If you have any doubts, please let us know.

Just for your reference, in terms of timeline, Volvo will introduce this year the full range of mild-hybrid cars, in 2020/21 they will add their new technology to track the driver's status and behavior with in-car cameras, as well as a safe key to all the range and in 2022 they will launch the new SPA2 platform (new XC90) that will include a lot of new features, including autonomous driving level 4.
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 09:09   #9
Hottieshigh

Does the B5 engine have PowerPulse like the D5?
Hottieshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 14:15   #10
jonnyu

I don't think so.
I think that the electrical engine capability replaces the powerpulse.