Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 power loss

Views : 600

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2021, 23:45   #1
Guy Dickinson

Default V70 D5 power loss

Recently I’ve had intermittent power loss - as if only firing on 4 or even 3 cylinders. It comes and goes, and the worrying thing is it could easily happen just when I need power (like overtaking). I’ve put in several injector cleaner doses and the fuel filter was changed the other day. Any suggestions where to go next please?
Guy Dickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 23:58   #2
XCR
Master Member

Sounds like the symptoms I had prior to replacing the Swirl Flap system...
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 07:10   #3
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile ideas

What mileage is it at?, are you getting any messages up like engine service?

I recently had the intercooler go on mine, and that caused a massive power loss, although it would idle fine, if youre getting a garage to diagnose ask them to do a smoke test on the inlet pipework (it goes allover the place and a leak anywhere would be identified by some escaping smoke, the inlet runs at up to 20psi on full boost. a cheap Elm327 blutooth obd and an app like torque would let you see the boost pressure and many other things like coolant temp although only only some engine related data as you drive. Ill post some pics of where to look for intercooler failure if your interested.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 07:26   #4
Guy Dickinson

Thanks very much
The mileage is about 165,000. I should add that about 4-5 years ago I was having episodes of loss of power associated with black exhaust smoke which lead (thanks to this forum!) to a new intercooler which solved it. This time no black smoke just periods of reduced power of varying degrees. It then cuts back in again
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 09:28   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Check your intake and charged air system for leaks.

At best with a smoke test using a smoke machine
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 13:29   #6
tykesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Dickinson View Post
Thanks very much
The mileage is about 165,000. I should add that about 4-5 years ago I was having episodes of loss of power associated with black exhaust smoke which lead (thanks to this forum!) to a new intercooler which solved it. This time no black smoke just periods of reduced power of varying degrees. It then cuts back in again
Not sure if similar but I'm also having issues (Euro3 D5), accelerate normally and it's fine right through the rev band but floor it or accelerate hard like for an overtake and between 1600 and 2000 RPM it surges as if I've let off the throttle.

Currently looking at getting VIDA to look at that and a couple of other niggles.
tykesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 07:47   #7
big_yin

Could it be the same issue as in this post?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...air+inlet+hose

Last edited by big_yin; Jul 23rd, 2021 at 07:49.
big_yin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big_yin For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2021, 17:05   #8
Dazza95

Is this a Euro 4 D5? I had a similar issue with the car feeling like it wasn’t firing on all cylinders a few years ago; it turned out to be faulty connectors on 2 injectors. These were replaced with genuine Volvo connectors and I’ve had no problems since.

I used Vida to diagnose the problem and from what I remember, the fault description was “injector no.2 power stage signal too high”.

More info here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=266805
Dazza95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 15:39   #9
Guy Dickinson

Thanks everyone - one update if it's relevant....

When the car starts with this power loss thing, at the beginning of the episode, a message comes up "Service required" - or similar. If I cancel it it won't return despite more power loss episodes but will if I turn the car off and start again.

Does that mean anything?
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 20:02   #10
Guy Dickinson

As mentioned at the end of this thread, there now is an 'engine service required' message. If it is the swirl flaps, that's really expensive isn't it?