Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Snow

Views : 1728

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2015, 07:45   #1
surveyman

Default Snow

Ive a V40 D3, can anybody tell me what they are like in the snow. Is there any settings I should put it in or turn off. I live on a very steep hill so any advace will be welcome before the snow starts
Old Nov 30th, 2015, 21:41   #2
wilkhaven
---------

I've a D3 auto and not experienced snow yet - however the most important thing are the tyres. I've got a full set of winter rubber ready to put on in the next couple of weeks - had them on the old V70 last year and the difference was amazing.
wilkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wilkhaven For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 16:10   #3
anton differing

It depends entirely on what is meant by "snow". There comes a point, even on winter tyres (which we all have here in Swizzieland), when only chains will do, when all steering feel totally deserts you and you're going straight, even when the wheels are pointed left and spinning like crazy.

I also have a V40D3 and I also live on top of a cliff. I have yet to experience really heavy snow in the car, but in the snow I've experienced so far it seems fine. Most importantly, it is driven by the right set of wheels, the front ones. Our old car (an Astra Caravan) used to chug up the hill, past powerful RWD cars floundering helplessly.

I confess to some misgivings about the car in heavy snow. The Astra's tyres were relatively skinny, which was one of the reasons it managed so well in winter. I now have these whopperous 17" things that look like refugees from steamrollers. What will they be like in really heavy stuff? I await results with interest - and keep the chains in the boot ready...
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 17:41   #4
MJamson

Sweden gets a fair amount of bad winter weather and the Volvos handel it pretty well, they sell like hot cakes all over the nordic countries.

In winter it is mandatory that all cars have winter tyres (either studded or friction), also to get a driving licence you must complete a skidpan course (many drivers repeat this course voulantarly every five years or so).

The best thing you can IMHO is do a skid pan driving course and get a good set of winter tyres that are right for the weather conditions that you often experience.

Not all winter tyres are created equal, and they all have different strengths and weaknesses. My winter tyres are weak in wet conditions but are rated the best on snow and ice. Being based in England you might be best having tyres that favour wet rather than snow or ice.

Mike
MJamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 17:44   #5
MJamson

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
It depends entirely on what is meant by "snow".
At the first sight of a snow flake the country grinds to a stop, people panic buy and then the English people collectively have a nervous breakdown whilst watching the news :P
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJamson For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 12:25   #6
anton differing

For a good guide to winter tyres, here's this year's guide from the TCS, Switzerland's AA:

https://www.tcs.ch/de/testberichte-r...nterreifen.php

Yes, only in German, French or Italian, I'm afraid, but the message is pretty clear. Interesting how many of the tyres are marked down for lesser performance in wet (as opposed to snowy) winter conditions.
anton differing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 13:44   #7
Brendan W
Premier Member

I find the V70 gets more traction going up steep hills in snow at walking pace with the STC switched off.
We have a steep hill both ways outside the gate. Sometimes if there is a lot of ice under snow I won't attempt a descent but leave the bus parked up in the garage forecourt at the top.
Wood ash works wonders. I wouldn't have believed it until a neighbour from Lithuania came knocking as he knew I burn a lot of wood. Laying a trail with tiny amounts he rescued six cars that had unwisely decided to come down into the hollow outside our gate.
Winter tyres in the right hands on a two wheel drive are as good as many so called awd cars.
The best car for the snow was our old Morris 1000. Skinny tyres like a train on tracks when all around us were skating on the more fashionable wide alloys.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 07:01   #8
MJamson

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton differing View Post
For a good guide to winter tyres, here's this year's guide from the TCS, Switzerland's AA:

https://www.tcs.ch/de/testberichte-r...nterreifen.php

Yes, only in German, French or Italian, I'm afraid, but the message is pretty clear. Interesting how many of the tyres are marked down for lesser performance in wet (as opposed to snowy) winter conditions.
Unfortunately that appears to be current way, tyres cant be good in all conditions and people have to ultimately make a comprimise.

I choose to comprimise in the wet, I slow down anyway so to be more vigilant in the wet isn't a problem for me.

I have spoken to a few people who had tyres that were ok in all conditions and they hate their tyres, they generally said that driving was so much more difficult overall.

The main thing is to pick the correct tyres for your conditions (i.e. you dont have snow tyres if you mostly get rain).

Last year I took my dad on a skid pan course, and he was so thankful for it over the winter. I'm still not sure how much he learnt about controlling his car, but he certainly got a feel fore the loss of control points.
Old Dec 5th, 2015, 07:06   #9
MJamson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Wood ash works wonders.
Never heard of that, I usually drive with a bag of small stones in my boot aswell as snow chains.

Sometimes the swedish car magazines do tests about 'rescue remedies' and they have never mentioned ash. They have tried stone, salt, tree branches, cardboard and car mats.
Old Dec 21st, 2015, 21:06   #10
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Wife's current V40 D4 has winter tyres fitted from about end of October usually. We use Conti TS850's which is a superb winter tyre. Never had a problem and can only recommend them.

As for driving the V40 in snow.....with these winter tyres, absolutely no problem!
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote