Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil change at National tyres Not bad !!

Views : 1051

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2013, 11:16   #1
bluecube50
I fix people ! not cars

Wink Oil change at National tyres Not bad !!

Just had an oil change at National Tyres ,
6 ltrs of Magnatec 10/40 plus new filter and oil disposal, all for £50, PLUS I went on the website and printed off a 10% discount voucher so £45 all in.

Do you think thats a good deal ? obviously not as cheap as DIY, but sitting in a warm waiting room with a coffee for 30 minutes beats laying on my cold damp driveway fiddling about !
(96 20v 850 petrol estate)

Last edited by bluecube50; Nov 19th, 2013 at 11:17. Reason: forgot car details
bluecube50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:18   #2
byootox
Premier Member

I've seen cheaper prices but I think it was cheaper oil too.
And... as you said sitting in the waiting room with a coffee is probaby worth it if your not inclined to lie under car draining the oil out.
I just done mine, 5/40 Quantum fully synthetic in mine but I wasn't paying for the oil :-P
The price is usually reflected by whether it's a just a load of cheap bulk oil being put in or good quality oil like the Magnatec.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 12:18   #3
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Did they drain it properly via the drain plug, or suck it out via the dipstick tube? If the latter, then that's not a great oil change as it doesn't remove all the oil or all the gunk from the sump. If the former, then yes, not bad value I guess.
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 13:59   #4
bluecube50
I fix people ! not cars

Thumbs up

They did drain it, and I considered a flush through for an extra £8, but decided against it, as I will do my own in the spring when its a tad warmer, and I will have put another 6/7000 miles on the clock
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 14:07   #5
yeti76

I personally wouldn't use a flush on an older engine unless it has been done since new.

Just getting the engine nice and warm before an oil drain suffices. I always prefer to do my own oil changes as you can use your patience to wait till every last drop falls. Garages tend to rush as ramp time is precious to them and like said previously the horrible suction change through the dipstick is a common occurrence in most chain garages.
yeti76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19th, 2013, 16:22   #6
bluecube50
I fix people ! not cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti76 View Post
I personally wouldn't use a flush on an older engine unless it has been done since new.

Just getting the engine nice and warm before an oil drain suffices. I always prefer to do my own oil changes as you can use your patience to wait till every last drop falls. Garages tend to rush as ramp time is precious to them and like said previously the horrible suction change through the dipstick is a common occurrence in most chain garages.
Thanks for the info, in fairness the guy at National did warn me off a flush, as I wasnt sure if one had been done before.
They did drain, but the they werent very busy today.
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 09:49   #7
byootox
Premier Member

The reason is simply if the flush dislodges a bit of carbon it could block an oil way...
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 10:10   #8
brickman
Premier Member

Do they really have those dipstick oil suck jobs in the UK? I saw them in Japan/S.Korea about 15 years ago, then they started to get popular in the states but never thought they'd make it t the UK.

Oil flush's can do just that, esp with highly strung engines (not sure if the volvo 5 pots fit into that category?) as it doesn't take much to block or restrict an oil way/galley/feed.

I did my TDI the other day.
Oil/Air/Fuel filter + A3/B3 spec'd (6 litres of) 5/40 fully synth for £43.50 all in. Took me about an hour, though most of that time was spent wrestling the fuel filter, to do just oil + O/A filters could be done in 15 minutes as its a super easy one to do, you don't even need to jack the car!

Easiest car I've ever come across to service was the 200x-present fiat 1.3 JTD and the VAG 1.2 & 1.4 3cyl TDI motors. Again don't have to jack them, the oil filters are high up and easily accessible inside re-usable plastic housings that just take a 1/2" drive to undo / refit. The sump drain & filter both drain into the same area so you don't have to move the oil pan. You can literally do the oil in 10 mins, 3 minutes of that is drinking tea whilst it drains.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 14:49   #9
krussel
Premier Member

Sounds a fair deal to me. The main thing is that its done and prob only cost the price of a large pizza more than doing it yourself.

Sod being a diy hero in this weather as it was snowing down south today.
krussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2013, 14:52   #10
bluecube50
I fix people ! not cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussel View Post
Sounds a fair deal to me. The main thing is that its done and prob only cost the price of a large pizza more than doing it yourself.

Sod being a diy hero in this weather as it was snowing down south today.
Ha Ha my thoughts exactly.