Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

before the forum ?

Views : 637

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 16:41   #1
jeffreyt

Default before the forum ?

after my latest post on central locking problems the thought struck me 'what did I do before the forum' and I had to go back nearly 40 years to find the answer:my dad.
Back in the 60's and early 70's when I was young and poor and trying to keep various old cars going on a wing and a prayer it was my father who would wisely counsel 'do this,try that ,its probably the .......' and he was usually right.
His knowledge came from his own tinkering and then being a mechanic
in the REME during the spat with Mr Hitler.He used to say him and his REME pals could keep any vehicle going in any conditions provided they had spares or acces to shot up vehicles to cannibalise for spares.Judging from some of his wartime photos and the conditions they worked in I think they probably could.
For the next 30 years I was lucky enough to have that wonderful perk aka the company car so no real tinkering with cars for me .
Early retirement then beckoned and with it the awful shock of the price of a new/newish car when its actually coming out of your hard earned pension.
Couldn't get my head round that expense so its a 10 year old V40 and the forum to keep me out of the hands of the local Volvo dealer.
My thanks and a happy Christmas to all and Dad if you are reading this you would have loved the Volvo forum.
jeffreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jeffreyt For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 21:15   #2
m1tch1987
Premier Member

Before this forum and indeed the advent of internet cars were easier to fix with either a hammer, spanner or both so we didn't need OBD interfaces or specific bulbs lol buts its nice to be part of an awesome forum like this

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1tch1987 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 00:15   #3
fat tony
"Legitimate" Businessman

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Before this forum and indeed the advent of internet cars were easier to fix with either a hammer, spanner or both so we didn't need OBD interfaces or specific bulbs lol buts its nice to be part of an awesome forum like this
I agree with that, when i was in to 90's vauxhalls, you could strip one down to a bare shell with 10, 13, 17 and 19mm spanners, 2 screwdrivers and a hammer!!

I once swapped a clutch on a Mk2 Astra GTE in under half an hour!

But, with the OBDII interfaces, it takes a lot of the guess work out of it
fat tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 00:38   #4
m1tch1987
Premier Member

I've owned a fair few cars ranging from this Volvo, to RX7s and a 1982 Mini, I gradually saw that the newer the car is, the more plastic there is lol in the Mini it was just the air box and the dizzy cover, the RX7 had plastic on the fuse cover, air box, end caps of the radiator and emissions stuff, Volvo has a massive chunk of plastic over the whole engine lol

2003 Volvo V40 1.9D Sport - MPG below

m1tch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote