Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Compression value difference between dry and wet test

Views : 2223

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2023, 22:17   #1
SalvadorP
Master Member

Default Compression value difference between dry and wet test

What's the acceptable variation between compression values between dry and wet tests?

This is not actually concerning my volvo, but I couldn't find the answer online and I feel being a general question it is as valid for our cars as for any other.

I came back to Portugal and found out my mum had been driving my Polo IV low on engine oil, don't know for how long. The oil light came on and off and I checked the level and it was just bellow minimum. I have done a compression test with good test results (220psi), but since the engine was low on oil I was more interested in knowing if the piston rings were bad.
Wet test showed an increase of compression of up to 16% (260psi).

Is 15% increase an acceptable value?
Also, my intuition tells me if I'm puting oil on top of a piston, I'm efefctively reducing the size of the chamber and therefore increasing the compression. I'm wondering if that could justify the 15% increase or at least some of those percentile points!? But maybe I'm being dumb and this makes no sense.

Again, sorry for making a post that it's not volvo centered, but I wanna do a wet test on my 940 too, so this information will come handy.
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 23:07   #2
buick boy

The reason a wet compression test is useful is to determine whether a compression loss is caused by worn/damaged piston & rings , or some other cause such as worn/damaged valve seats or head gasket etc . The oil on a wet test has the effect of sealing the piston and compensating for any wear in the bore or piston rings . All pistons leak to a certain degree when dry so don't be alarmed at a slight difference between wet & dry tests , 10-15% would be acceptable. If you still get a low reading with a wet test , further investigation will be needed.
Hope this helps
buick boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buick boy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 23:29   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What he said ^^^^^

The compression figures seem extraordinarily high though - 220psi dry and 260psi wet - what's the CR on that engine?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 23:45   #4
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What he said ^^^^^

Yes, I knew that. I didn't do the wet test because I thought the reading was low (on the contrary), but because I was already in there, and the oil was low, so I wanted to check the rings.

The compression figures seem extraordinarily high though - 220psi dry and 260psi wet - what's the CR on that engine?
As far as I can gather is 10,3 :1, but they have a 6v and a 12v version, mine is the latter, but I'm not positive that's the correct value. They made like a million versions of these cars.

EDIT: upon searching a bit more, seems to be 10.5 actually. I found a few posts online of people with similar values above 200psi.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Jun 2nd, 2023 at 00:01.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SalvadorP For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 07:00   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadorP View Post
As far as I can gather is 10,3 :1, but they have a 6v and a 12v version, mine is the latter, but I'm not positive that's the correct value. They made like a million versions of these cars.

EDIT: upon searching a bit more, seems to be 10.5 actually. I found a few posts online of people with similar values above 200psi.
It will not be over 200PSI: 10.5 x one bar is about 150PSI. That doesn't really matter though, it just means your gauge isn't calibrated to reflect the real world. Only the difference between dry and wet readings matter here - and 15% difference is fine (you were correct about the oil taking up some of the compressed volume of course).

Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 10:10   #6
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It will not be over 200PSI: 10.5 x one bar is about 150PSI. That doesn't really matter though, it just means your gauge isn't calibrated to reflect the real world. Only the difference between dry and wet readings matter here - and 15% difference is fine (you were correct about the oil taking up some of the compressed volume of course).

It's a cheap tester from amazon. Thanks for clarifying 15% isn't too much.
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 11:23   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post

Quote:
It's a cheap tester from amazon. Thanks for clarifying 15% isn't too much.
Thanks for doing the maths Alan, seems Geoff Bezos sent an overly-optimistic tester out!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 12:48   #8
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thanks for doing the maths Alan, seems Geoff Bezos sent an overly-optimistic tester out!
Let me get this straight Dave, are you saying that Amazon (purveyors of only the finest quality products) have somehow managed to stock a chinesium product that doesn't work properly? This can't be possible as Amazon only sell the finest products known to man!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 12:56   #9
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Let me get this straight Dave, are you saying that Amazon (purveyors of only the finest quality products) have somehow managed to stock a chinesium product that doesn't work properly? This can't be possible as Amazon only sell the finest products known to man!
My biggest issue is that I bought it while I was in spain and now I'm in portugal so I cannot return it for being defective.

I'm planing on testing it with compressed air to see how off it is. Because it seems to give consistent readings at least. So if I know how off it is, it's at least usable.
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 13:16   #10
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
My biggest issue is that I bought it while I was in spain and now I'm in portugal so I cannot return it for being defective.

I'm planing on testing it with compressed air to see how off it is. Because it seems to give consistent readings at least. So if I know how off it is, it's at least usable.
I think it will be perfectly usable, most of the time only relative rather than absolute measurements are required. As us surveyors say it is precise but not accurate.

If you could find a reference source to calibrate it against (it would need to be something that maintained a constant pressure when tested, something like a fairly large pressure vessel, but only at around 100 PSI - not like a diving air bottle (200 bar = 3,000PSI)) then you could just mark the scale accordingly.

You already know that the reading it gave (over 200 PSI if I recall) probably equates to 150 PSI), so I would tend to accept that as the calibration done and scale things from there. Good enough for government work.

I don't think this issue is much the fault of that nice Mr Bezos, most non-calibrated gauges are probably much the same. Unless an instrument is something that needs sending off for calibration every year and comes back certificated then that will probably be the case.

Last edited by Othen; Jun 2nd, 2023 at 13:17. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: