Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear offside fog lamp not working - MOT fail

Views : 1570

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2023, 18:32   #11
940volvoman
Master Member

So Dave(Laird Scooby) says that the wire is in place for the nearside fog?

Am I understanding him right,especially as mine is one of the last Celebrations to roll off the production line?

If so I've wasted a good number of years waiting for the "right time" to run a cable from offside to nearside to feed an additional bulb.

In reality it make sense as these cars were also made for left handed drivers(Europe and beyond)
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2023, 18:52   #12
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Fix the rear fog and take it somewhere else for MoT - before you do, pop the cover off the 3rd brake light bulb, clean and tighten the connectors to the unit and on the bulb, refit and i reckon you'll have solved the problem as there is no relay for the 3rd brake light. There is a rear Bulb Failure Unit which may be giving problems but if the 3rd brake light isn't working intermittently, chances are the connections need cleaning/tightening.

Your car is on the changeover between Bosch ABS and ABS-2E, either way, the ABS warning light is meant to come on during self-check, either it goes out when started (ABS) or after 6-8 seconds (ABS-2E) but either way should be out with the engine running and alternator charging. As such, it sounds like it's behaving itself as it should be.

Does your replacement speedo even look the same? The difference is in the tripmeters and odometers. Yours being a 1992 has a unique speedo/instrument cluster so needs the correct year and just for fun, they had a high failure rate that year!
Those bulbs are an absolute nightmare to get to! I'll give it a go later as it's already ruined my day getting worked up over it. The centre light brake bulb is very intermittent, it's definitely the bulb failure unit. The circular one located in the dash behind the gearstick. Cost a fortune to replace, I've had this car five years so I know it well.

The car starts, no ABS light, drives up to about 15mph and then the ABS light comes on. Classic "no sensor reading" symptom, but could be anything else. Again, no space, time, skill, tools or patience to investigate. Garage admitted they'd struggle as well.

Replacement speedo looks identical apart from the back of it. The car is a 1992 and has an electronic clock adjustment on the dash, near the light switch. The replacement cluster has the manual clock adjustment and is from 1996. The speedo components are both made by Yakazi and look identical on the facia but have dramatically different circuit boards and screw locations. Not compatible in the slightest (despite research suggesting they were the same speedo unit)

This is a new garage to me, I took it to them after not trusting the garage I took it to in March (plus it's closer) - I'm pretty sure as I've been a new customer that they've suspected I'm a DVSA inspector making sure that they are failing cars as necessary. I've certainly had that before where i lived previously.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2023, 18:56   #13
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

An early 945, with orange-coloured indicator lenses, will have a rear fog lamp in each cluster. The usual fail point is a poor connection between the lamp-holder and the power or earth track on the lamp cluster; this can often be rectified by removing the entire cluster, cleaning the track, lightly bending the connectors on the holder and refitting the cluster.

Late cars, with the clear indicator lenses, had only the off-side rear fog lamp; the nearside holder was moulded as a solid part of the cluster and, IIRC, lacked the earth track. Not very economical as they had to produce two distinct clusters for LHD and RHD models; Vauxhall fitted the Zafira B with two lamps but omitted the short power feed with its proprietary electrical connectors on the passenger side

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2023, 19:02   #14
GingerMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
The car starts, no ABS light, drives up to about 15mph and then the ABS light comes on. Classic "no sensor reading" symptom, but could be anything else. Again, no space, time, skill, tools or patience to investigate. Garage admitted they'd struggle as well
This is a common issue on the 406, where the front reluctor ring develops a hairline crack, not really noticeable but once the car is moving then the centrifugal force will make the crack wider - just enough to trigger the abs sensor....

I'm assuming the Volvo has a similar set up, I've not needed to look as yet....
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old May 20th, 2023, 19:54   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The car starts, no ABS light, drives up to about 15mph and then the ABS light comes on. Classic "no sensor reading" symptom, but could be anything else. Again, no space, time, skill, tools or patience to investigate. Garage admitted they'd struggle as well.

Replacement speedo looks identical apart from the back of it.
Renew your rear ABS sensor - it's in the diff and feeds the speedo as well - this is a hunch so might be wrong, you really need to find someone with an oscilloscope or a multimeter that will read a pulsed output from the diff sensor.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2023, 19:01   #16
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940volvoman View Post
So Dave(Laird Scooby) says that the wire is in place for the nearside fog?

Am I understanding him right,especially as mine is one of the last Celebrations to roll off the production line?

If so I've wasted a good number of years waiting for the "right time" to run a cable from offside to nearside to feed an additional bulb.

In reality it make sense as these cars were also made for left handed drivers(Europe and beyond)
You should find a violet/white wire taped-up behind the nearside rear lamp unit. This already has a spade connector ready to push on to the corresponding terminal on the cluster. An original nearside cluster might be lacking this terminal but a replacement Volvo unit will have it there.

There are two violet/white wires in this spade connector. It is where the wire that goes across to the offside unit connects.

I have found that a UK supplied replacement nearside lamp unit had the bulb holder slightly nobbled to disable this bulb. All you have to do is check carefully if one of the contacts in the bulb holder has been pushed down so as not to make contact with the bulb and restore to its correct position. This has, of course, never been an issue with units supplied mail-order from the continent.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2023, 19:59   #17
GingerMagic

Following on....

I've just been tinkering on the car and I thought I would check my OSR fog light.
Turns out my NS is working but the OS has no bulb in the cluster...!!

As far as I can see I have a wire with a spade connector somewhere floating above the hole, and there are the metal spring tabs fitted on the cluster.

Mine is 1998 so I'm lead to believe that only the OS should be working, but the car did pass an MOT like this.

I guess I should swap the bulbs over to meet with the law
2019 Citroen C3 ( wife's )
GingerMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GingerMagic For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2023, 21:20   #18
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Renew your rear ABS sensor - it's in the diff and feeds the speedo as well - this is a hunch so might be wrong, you really need to find someone with an oscilloscope or a multimeter that will read a pulsed output from the diff sensor.
Sounds sensible, the odometer has always worked though. I feel like that would rule out anything non-local to the speedometer/dash cluster, unless the signal is split and there just isn't enough voltage split three ways to operate the speedo, ABS and odometer?

I did get the rear fog light and centre brake light working, but not touched it for a bit. I'm convinced the MOT tester did something to break the ABS, and I don't like mysteries.
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2023, 21:28   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Sounds sensible, the odometer has always worked though. I feel like that would rule out anything non-local to the speedometer/dash cluster, unless the signal is split and there just isn't enough voltage split three ways to operate the speedo, ABS and odometer?

I did get the rear fog light and centre brake light working, but not touched it for a bit. I'm convinced the MOT tester did something to break the ABS, and I don't like mysteries.
If the odometer is working then so is the rear ABS sensor - the fault obviously lies in the instrument itself and one of your front ABS sensors is faulty.

Did you say they replaced something on the front end or am i mixing this up with a thread on another forum?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2023, 22:27   #20
J liddy

ABS Sensor has been covered before.my light came on I was advised to get a Sensor of ebay About £22 both front plug inn's are easy accessible under bonnet on each wing so unplug each one inturn with the new Sensor as they are both the same each side .this will show if any of these are faulty .Next job replace that Sensor we can guide you through that job too !
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post: