Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

STC/DSTC traction contol

Views : 6645

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 15:19   #1
Gen_Billy

Default STC/DSTC traction contol

Whats its all about?
Its always on for me.
If you turn if off does it effect handling? Only tried it once and I felt the steering is more lose. Does people drive it with it off?
Gen_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 15:55   #2
imac
Premier Member

STC is traction control, DSTC is traction control plus dynamic stability control.

In basic terms the traction control stops you wheelspinning and dynamic stability control uses computers to help keep you on the road. Unless you're driving hardish or in extreme conditions you wouldn't notice if it was on or off so you might as well keep it on.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 15:56   #3
AClough

There's two parts to it; Dynamic stability & Traction control.

First Traction control: This is the only part you can turn off. It stops (mostly) your wheels spinning under power. Don't see why you should turn it off unless you like buying new tyres. You shouldn't notice any difference in steering etc. with it off however.

Secondly Dynamic Stability: This is always on and can brake individual wheels to negate oversteering/understeering and stuff. Helps to keep you on the road if you do something silly.

Cheers,

Alistair
AClough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 16:07   #4
neek

I think pressing the button for a couple of seconds turns it all off, not just the traction control.
Could be wrong though.
neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 17:24   #5
Viper_7
Premier Member

No, I belive DSTC is always on even if you push the button for a few seconds - it only turns off Traction control. Reason for this is snowy/icy conditions - it can be impossible to set off!

the DS part is integral to Volvo's Safety design - it's clever stuff, constantly analysing throttle/steering input / current direction and angle of the steering, speed/acceleration braking force of each individual wheel, analysing yaw rate

if it decides it's about to lose control in any shape or form, no matter what the driver is doing it corrects it - it not only brakes individual wheels to regain control but also reduces throttle input when necessary. It's also built into the ABS / EBD / Emergency brake assist systems

big thing about it on the news the other day - apparently in mass production it will only cost manufactures about £50 to add these kind of systems to every car made - they made soon be forced to do it by default not just as an extra.

It's especially usefull with the D5 and R due to the huge amounts of Torque
easy to spin the wheels in first,second,third gears!

It summary leave it turned on!
Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.

Last edited by Viper_7; Aug 24th, 2006 at 17:28.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 18:05   #6
Viper_7
Premier Member

Hmm been looking about, on the R - hitting it 5 times, totally disables it.

Also seen that hitting it onece for a few seconds turns off the TC, hitting it again turns it on, hitting it again turns off the TC, hitting again turns it on, then hitting again turns it all off!!

The responses are "DSTC REDUCED" or "DSTC OFF"

I know when I hit mine just one for a few seconds it says "DSTC OFF"

I may have been thinking about the Emergency brake assist than you can't turn off - seeing lots of different answers though?! The R is deffo different Kown that, maybe that is where you can place it into "reduced" and the other models it's just completly on or off.... anyone?!!?
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 18:27   #7
TJMurphy
VOC Member

Default R not the same as "normal"

The 'R' is the only one to need the five stabs of the button. On a normal S60 you just hold it down for a second or two and it goes off (until you hit it again or it's automatically on when you restart the car).

In normal driving you'd never notice the difference*. I had a play with it on / off on an airfield once on an advanced driving course. Was quite interesting as you could feel it grab / release / grab / release the car to keep it from spinning. That was the DS bit of it.

I've never quite been sure about the traction control - you can still spin the wheels - does it just kick in if they're spinning at a different rate?

Tony

* Having said that, on my remapped T5 the little orange light does flash more than it used to - can't think why
TJMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 18:49   #8
imac
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJMurphy View Post
I've never quite been sure about the traction control - you can still spin the wheels - does it just kick in if they're spinning at a different rate?
They will still spin but the power should be cut shortly after to bring things back in check. I found it a great help in the snow/ice in Switzerland & France last winter.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 18:37   #9
T5JAS
Gorgeous Master Member

an excellent system.. when it works. my ecu that controls it packed up so have to live without it for now.. a pain with new pirellis on cos they wear down!
i could just take the lead out of my right shoe but hey where's the fun in that!!
Jason
FACTORY DVD ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE.
never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
T5JAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:52   #10
neek

So are we saying that on the S60 you can turn the DSTC off or not?? just to clarify like
neek is offline   Reply With Quote