Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HELP ! Crank pulley bolt

Views : 928

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2008, 14:04   #1
raffip

Default HELP ! Crank pulley bolt

I can not get the crank pulley bolt loose, I have tried everything. Is there a trick? Is it reverse threaded? Help please
raffip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 17:04   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

You need to buy/ build /borrow a tool that interlocks in the holes in crank pulley to hold it rigid whilst you undo the pulley bolt, the crank pulley bolt is torqued up tight so it will take some shifting.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 23:12   #3
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Do you have a dealer or decent garageist near to you. He/she should be able to loosen it for you. Are you attempting to renew the cambelt? Then let a garage do it as they can reset the timing as well. I doubt if the pump drive belt is worn but the garage should be able to do it relatively easily. The torque is very high compared to a petrol engined car, around 280 lbsft/380 Nm/38,64 kgfm, where the petrol engine only needs around 65lbsft/88,14 Nm/8,97 kgfm.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2008, 19:49   #4
phasesonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo48 View Post
You need to buy/ build /borrow a tool that interlocks in the holes in crank pulley to hold it rigid whilst you undo the pulley bolt, the crank pulley bolt is torqued up tight so it will take some shifting.
Hi,

I agree with the above comment- I had to weld a thick pipe that fitted into the slot around the bolt with part of the pipe cut so it acts as a counterhold.

This bolt is Tight!

In an Audi manual(for a simular engine) it says you can put it in 4th and press hard on the brake. I tried this on an audi and it worked but not on the volvo.

It took a 3/4" T bar with a long scafolding pole extension and lot's of elbow grease.
phasesonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2008, 22:10   #5
sticks

if u can fit air gun in, have used ats/ kwiq fit .3/4 air guns undo anything.pay em a drink cash works wonders !!!!!
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2008, 18:41   #6
phasesonix

It's not too bad to get it undone it's just making or buying the right tool to counterhold the engine from turning over.Don't knoe if a volvo dealer will sell you a special volvo tool.
phasesonix is offline   Reply With Quote