Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ford rs parts on our volvo r's

Views : 1329

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 10:36   #11
Jdsb

Never thought of using copper, good tip, I did find you need to be quick with using steel as to not weld into that as well, will try copper in future, good shout.

Looking at the porche throttle body link i noticed that the guy is using it for a c30 t5, not sure if the c30 share the same connection/software As the r's, after then looking at some throttle body's on eBay I've noticed the focus throttle body can be be used on the c30, the part number differs ever so slightly on the r, 30711553 for the r and 30711552 for the focus, I can pick up the rs throttle body for £30 so I might grab one and fit it just to see if it will plug and play, if so then I can grab the 70mm upgrade throttle body for the focus as it's a little cheeper than the Porsche throttle body, thanks all for the input and I'll keep you posted
Jdsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:26   #12
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I got a foot long lengh of 25mm ish copper pipe (although it's probably in inches or whatever) and hammered a flat end, bent that at an angle, which gives you a bit of reach and you can bend it to whatever position you need when it gets mucky cut that off and flatten a new bit

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:29   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

re: programming there's a guy called Lucas in tilbury who does it all

https://volvodiagnostic.com/

may be a bit of a trek for you, could post it or just do a one-off day trip

but anyway he's a bit of a genius, could email him first and ask if he knows if it would work

mini project - link
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 11:57   #14
TLPower

Warning boring old fart story incoming.

Blimey this takes me back, as a young apprentice on the spanners I asked an older colleague to instruct me on the art of welding. Bearing in mind welding in those days meant two bottles of gas and several bottles of water for the inevitable fires. He asked me what I wanted to weld, I said exhausts (I was a faffer then as well) and produced two new pieces.
He sent me outside to the skip to find the oldest most corroded exhaust parts and showed me how to weld old stuff, protecting the metal with the rod and only adding heat when appropriate.
Being a Yorkshireman he told me if you can weld this sh*t you can weld owt.

Forty years on I'm still welding sh*ty exhausts only they're stainless now and I use my mig.

Back on topic https://www.facebook.com/shemtekautomotive Shem (real name) is a good bloke, knows loads about Volvo tuning and also very helpful.
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 13:09   #15
Jdsb

I'm on the south coast so Tilbury isn't to much of a trek.

I just came back from Yorkshire a couple weeks ago but it's funny you mentioned shemtek as back in July I was trying to order their downpipe with mot compliant cat, I messaged them on Facebook but never got back to me, I ended up buying a magniflow uni cat with metallic and ceramic substrate, welded it up and emissions were fine, the mot guy did need some convincing that it was actually a cat though which was a bit odd, he said by rights it's modified so he could fail it but he let me off, I think for next year I'll buy a used cat for a t5, gut it and hide the high flow inside.

Back to topic, thanks I'll send some emails and see what I can find out
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 19:03   #16
TLPower

I've had a Ferrita downpipe on my T5's for the last 13 years. The testers have never mentioned it once. The gas readings will show yours has one fitted surely?
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 20:38   #17
Jdsb

As I said It seemed a bit odd, my closing point with the guy was did it pass the emissions? which he nodded with a yes, i said the cat is doing it's job then, that's where he pointed out about the cat being modified, I'll point out here that it's straight through after cat which I was more worried about, i did notice him reving the car quite hard, clearly checking for noise but he seemed fine with the eventual gunshot that came out, just as well it hasn't got anti lag mapped in.

I thought the euro class thingy, can't remember if it's 4 or 5 for was a visual check to make sure the cat is type class then emission test, I know lots of people with modified exhausts and never heard others having problems from passing the emissions
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 20:42   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsb View Post
...anti lag mapped in...
argh no ... just no.. I honestly don't get the obsession with the pops and bangs, like yeah on a rally stage I can see why you need to keep the turbo spooled up but on the trip to asda on a tuesday night.. seriously lol

there's one round the corner to me and every few days he's out there giving it rrrraaAAAAA bang bang bang bang.. rrrraaAAAAA bang bang bang bang.. rrrraaAAAAA bang bang bang bang just on his driveway.. for the love of god why??

it just makes me think, well there's a dude with a small penis

even funnier still when you hear it coming for like 10 minutes and it turns out to be some grotty little fiesta or something haha.. mate.. behave yourself

on the other hand if you have a well tuned car and after revving it hard, or on overrun, you get some honest rumbles and pops that's fair and it sounds lovely

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 20:47.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 21:08   #19
Jdsb

Not to mention the damage it causes to the turbo, I just as well it doesn't have it in the sense that I bought this car as spares or repair, I haven't had it tuned personally, I was also worried that fitting a cat on having being mapped for delete would cause issues but few months in and still no fuel trim issues, apart from when it develops the occasional boost or vacuum leak.

Am currently having an issue with the boost control valve though at least I believe, it's boosted around 1 and half bar since I've had it, I thought it seemed a bit high to be honest but recently it's maxing out at 2/3 of a bar, another symptom that appeared the same time as the boost drop is over rev on wot gear change, I've researched this but most put it down to rev hang and it's normal, from having this car for a year now it's definitely not normal behaviour, I'll be ordering a boost control solenoid at the end of the month so I'll see if my suspicions are right but I can't see how the boost valve can cause over rev on hard shifts
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 21:14   #20
Jdsb

This was the problem I found
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210728_204105.jpg (140.5 KB, 14 views)