Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake control module

Views : 525

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 21:27   #1
Mrhitman48

Default Handbrake control module

Hi All
Looking for your advice, or input, I have just had to do the rear brakes on my v70 2008 estate, it has an electronic hand brake, I have my own diagnostic system which I used to put the handbrake into service mode, which wound the motors off, however after doing the job, I tried to take the service mode of or deactivate the service mode, but the car will not come out, of the service mode, meaning I am unable to use the handbrake, also I have a warning on the dash that the handbrake isn't released but I know it is, my fear is that the handbrake control module has gone down, there are 2 with identical part number on ebay, one from a 2lt deisel and the other from a 2.4, both the same year, 2008, mine is a 2008, my question is, if I purchased one ot these handbrake modules, are they plug and play or do they need coding, as the new/second hand unit will be identical to the one I will be changing.

Thanks Paul
Mrhitman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 22:41   #2
Black dog

Your own module will be fine. Sometimes we have had some minor issues with them in service mode. Go back in with your tool and activate service mode again, then deactivate service mode a few seconds later. Hopefully it should then close.
Be sure all connections on the rear caliper s are fitted correctly first.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 13:19   #3
Mrhitman48

Black Dog Thanks for the Reply, do you think the handbrake module will be faulty, if I get a second hand one with the same part numbers will it need to be programed.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 13:58   #4
big square car

Had same problem with my 2008 V70 a number of years ago. The brakes would not reset after changing the pads. I drove around for a couple of days with no parking brake and the warning flashing and shouting at me. I thought I was going to have to get it down to the dealer so I gave it one last go and it reset!
Maybe a dodgey connection or just 'a bit of electric in the wrong place!
I was using an Autel 301 EPB tool
big square car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 14:04   #5
Mrhitman48

I am using the delphi software and a laptop with the old2 data box, also known as the cap plus or autocom.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 17:28   #6
Black dog

No the module is not faulty and won't need replacing. We had the same issues using launch. The problems seem to arise when the pad change is slow and the modules within the car go to sleep mode during the change.
Hook up your Delphi again clear any faults from the parking brake module and then (what we do) entre service mode first then exit service mode and they should close.
We found it only worked when we tried to put the module in service mode before closing although it already was in service mode. Perhaps something in the software of the tool.
Good luck.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 18:04   #7
Mrhitman48

Hi Black Dog, I have tried, and it still isn't working, will git it another try tomorrow then order a second hand part for it with the same part numbers.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 18:32   #8
Black dog

Have you any faults loged? I've not known the modules to go faulty and the fact it was ok before the pad change suggests it's the tool not completing the job
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 21:41   #9
Mrhitman48

Hi Blag Dog, I have tried everything you have suggested and still no jou.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrhitman48 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2022, 22:53   #10
Black dog

I still don't think your module is bad. Have you any faults stored?
It may be worth checking if anyone local has Vida they may recalibrate it for a few beer tokens