Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 B6P discontinued

Views : 838

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 8th, 2024, 17:07   #11
ergonomist

+1

I understand that it reduces costs, and allows manufacturers to offer features that wouldn't be economical via physical buttons, but the demands, both cognitive and tactile, of selecting via complex touchscreen menus are significant - there's a reason why it's unlawful to interact with a smartphone while driving. And voice control isn't a complete solution - the cognitive demands of using voice commands are significant.

Agree it's already a lost battle, but I do wonder how Volvo reconciles the increased use of touchscreen dialogues with their avowed pursuit of safety...
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 17:09   #12
ergonomist

And apologies - I realise that this is getting off topic...
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 17:22   #13
James77

Loosely back on topic. It saddens me how little Volvo sell now the range is so small compared to other manufacturers, BMW will sell you a car for every occasion there's nothing I want from Volvo anymore the configurator is just a limited selection of benign slabs, take a look. The SPA cars were so fresh reflected in sales volume who's buying them now my coin is going elsewhere. I don't see any other manufacturer gifting market share.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 19:02   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonomist View Post
......there's a reason why it's unlawful to interact with a smartphone while driving....
It's amazing how many people believe that.

The law is clear. You must not hold and use a mobile while driving or in charge of a motor car.

The word "and" has a clear legal definition. So under the mobile phone legislation you may hold and not use, or you may use and not hold. But if you do both you are breaking the law.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 22:05   #15
ergonomist

Interesting - I stand corrected. Does that mean that it's legal to prod and poke at a smartphone that's sat on the centre console, provided you only do it with one hand (ie not holding it)?
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 22:57   #16
MK09

Bringing things loosely back on topic again. There are a whole load of XC90 mild hybrids available on the XC90 UK configurator at the moment - around 40 in total, 2024 and 2025 MY, with delivery timescales of 8-11 weeks. These include quite a few 2024MY B6P Ultimates. Given that cars are generally built to order these days, how do these cars which are already configured and in the “system” / build process (sometimes already built) come about, as opposed to cars which you configure to order (with lead time estimates of up to 5 months)?
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 00:03   #17
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

will likely have been built for fleet/leasing and cancelled.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 02:32   #18
silo24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
will likely have been built for fleet/leasing and cancelled.
Unlikely. Mainly because you can't just slow down or shut down a production line.....

Basically they will have had insufficient orders to fill the shift/shifts at the plant, so each country will have been told to place a load of stock orders.

In real terms that means the dealers are told to specify some cars and they will sit in inventory until they are sold.

These cars may well end up on lease special offers towards the end of the month/quarter/half/year if they haven't moved though.....just to get them off the balance sheet.
silo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silo24 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 09:56   #19
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergonomist View Post
Interesting - I stand corrected. Does that mean that it's legal to prod and poke at a smartphone that's sat on the centre console, provided you only do it with one hand (ie not holding it)?
I don't know. I think they might take the view that because it was not being specifically held by a cradle that you were in a way holding it. But I don't know.

My phone sits in a brodit cradle level with the main screen. When driving I will glance at it and maybe click one touch to chose a different map route, or one click to skip a programme on bbc sounds. I won't do anything which isn't just a glance. Anything involving text input is simply impossible to be done safely.

Of course the mobile phone laws are just one part of legislation. If I was operating my phone (in a cradle) in such a way that I was seriously distracted then I could be guilty of careless or dangerous driving.

Bit as long as it is in a cradle and I am making small touches and glances to the phone then I am confident I am safe and legal.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: