Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacing Inner CV boot

Views : 11787

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 21:08   #1
pacman67
VOC Member

Default Replacing Inner CV boot

Can anyone guide me on how difficult it is to replace the front o/s inner CV boot. I presume the whole shaft has to come out etc ?
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2010, 22:32   #2
DaveSVolvo

If no-one with direct experience is going to reply to you, I'll stick my oar in.

I have just changed an outer, rather than inner, CV joint gaiter but most of the procedure is the same. Yes, the drive shaft has to come out. I found that getting the splined shaft out of the hub was very difficult. Haynes says "tap it out" - I found that a sledge hammer wouldn't budge it! (I think I was particularly unlucky though. While others hint that it can be difficult, I can't believe it is usually that bad.)

I eventually made a "pusher" out of an old back brake disc / drum filled with a solid chunk of hardwood drilled 13mm in way of the 5 holes. The idea behind the hardwood insert was to leave the cast iron disc in compression. Screwfix sell a useful pack of 5 X 300mm M12 studs which fitted into the wheel bolt holes in the hub. A lump hammer fitted side on transferred the load from the wood block to the end of the drive shaft (initially with nut on, level with the shaft end until the shaft had been driven in far enough to bottom the nut.) A point to be aware of if you try this or a variation thereof is not to try to fully bottom the studs in the hub and keep an eye in them. If they turn with the driving nuts they are likely to jack the hub apart... If I ever do this job again I will fit a couple of lock nuts to the end of each stud and hold them while tightening the respective drive nut.

The other bit I found tricky was getting the shaft to pop out of the transmission, but that was for the near side: for the off side you'll have to take the intermediate bearing out. I haven't done this.

I found the geometry of the CV joint fascinating - it's like a metal puzzle and in cleaning it out all 6 big ball bearings and the inner runner pop out. Getting them all back in requires patience. The Volvo repair kit contains grease and new circlips, so you don't have to pay £8 for the latter...

Oh, the other bit of fun I found was disconnecting the roll bar drop link. I've just done both sides: one had decent flats at the ball joint to hold with an open spanner while undoing the nut - simple. The other didn't have flats and one nut was horribly tight. Even a mole grip couldn't hold the unflatted shaft and I had to split the nut. These things come with a small torx hole in the end which the assembly instructions tell you to use for counter-torquing. OK with a new part, but with an old rusty one no chance.

Good luck!
DaveSVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveSVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 09:12   #3
mattytowel

Default CV gaiter

Failed MOT on split gaiter yesterday, was quoted £60 to repair. Having read Dave's post, I'll keep my hands clean this time.
Yesterday I couldn't spell engineer, now I is one.
mattytowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 10:35   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

yes its a filthy job , best pay someone else to do it !
Old Nov 20th, 2010, 17:31   #5
darren_eire

pair of rubber gloves and a vice and its an easy job in my opinion, wheel off,jack the car up,remove the 2 bolts holding the control arm to the subframe(easier than removing the ball joint),then just pull the whole brake disc out like this,

and then tap the whole drive shaft inwards while pulling the brake disc outwards,dont hammer the threads on the shaft tho!! I ended up having to cut a few threads off mine because the nut wouldnt thread back on properly!
darren_eire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:32   #6
shamrock1959

Great tip, I think I feel confident now
shamrock1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 16:32   #7
bobbych
Premier Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren_eire View Post
pair of rubber gloves and a vice and its an easy job in my opinion, wheel off,jack the car up,remove the 2 bolts holding the control arm to the subframe(easier than removing the ball joint),then just pull the whole brake disc out like this,

and then tap the whole drive shaft inwards while pulling the brake disc outwards,dont hammer the threads on the shaft tho!! I ended up having to cut a few threads off mine because the nut wouldnt thread back on properly!
leave the nut on the shaft, but protruding,. then use a large Nylon Mallet and hit the nut. Worked for me

As for the Outer Boot, I am donig mine soon, using a Stretchy boot, far less hassle, and the CV joint can stay on. Simply remove the shaft from the hub, cut off old boot, and fit! not done the inner though

1994 850 TURBO (2008 - 2011)
Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
bobbych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 19:46   #8
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattytowel View Post
Failed MOT on split gaiter yesterday, was quoted £60 to repair. Having read Dave's post, I'll keep my hands clean this time.
Only the outer CV gaitors are MOT "failable". Inner ones are not tested weirdly enough.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 93000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301/Topdon Top Scan
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2016, 16:02   #9
Lion Heart

Hey DaveSVolvo

Is yours an automatic?? Did you lose any transmission fluid and have to refill? Was it easy?

I need to do the INNER gaitor on the nearside (V50, 2.0d, automatic)

Thanks!
Lion Heart is offline   Reply With Quote