Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ecu problems

Views : 11246

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2008, 22:51   #21
BrockyV70Turbo
brockyv70t

Thanks guys, do you think one from a scrapper would be ok , or should I go to a main stealer for one?
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 23:22   #22
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockyV70T View Post
Thanks guys, do you think one from a scrapper would be ok , or should I go to a main stealer for one?
FRF would be my recomendation....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57125

Cheers
Jod
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 08:16   #23
BrockyV70Turbo
brockyv70t

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jod T5 View Post
FRF would be my recomendation....

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=57125

Cheers
Jod
Cheers Jod,

Does this sensor effect fuel economy? If it doesnt then I wont bother replacing it. I need new front discs this month, and am off to Germany this month on holiday.

Last edited by BrockyV70Turbo; Sep 25th, 2008 at 08:20.
BrockyV70Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 08:27   #24
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Cheers Jod,

Does this sensor effect fuel economy? If it doesnt then I wont bother replacing it. I need new front discs this month, and am off to Germany this month on holiday.
Tbh i would not know exactly what the pressure switch does, technically ,without doing some research, (obviously it a switching device active at a certain pressure) but i dont expect its apparent failure will cause any extra fuel usage

Cheers
Jod
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 08:44   #25
BrockyV70Turbo
brockyv70t

Thanks Jod,
I was asking because Mr T said it is on the same circuit as the other sensor that I replaced. That other sensor does affect fuel apparently. So I assumed it would affect it somehow. If I could find out what sort of fuel economy I should be getting from the car, that would tell me. I have been doing around 31 mpg on a motorway.
I have found another sensor which seems to have an open circuit inside it. That is just next to the brake servo, so assume it tells you when the brakes need replacing. But thats another story.

Cheers
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 09:40   #26
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Thanks Jod,
I was asking because Mr T said it is on the same circuit as the other sensor that I replaced. That other sensor does affect fuel apparently. So I assumed it would affect it somehow. If I could find out what sort of fuel economy I should be getting from the car, that would tell me. I have been doing around 31 mpg on a motorway.
I have found another sensor which seems to have an open circuit inside it. That is just next to the brake servo, so assume it tells you when the brakes need replacing. But thats another story.

Cheers
As i mentioned i have no idea what the switch function actually is and it seems strange it shares a code with a apparently unrelated sensor. The barometric sensor would effect economy, for sure, the A/C switch, probably not, unless it caused the A/C to run against the wishes of the driver...
But as i say without reference this if off the top of my head
Cheers
jod
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 14:15   #27
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hiya,

maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but I thought the point was both these 2 sensors/switches share a common earth, so although a failing A/C pressure switch wouldn't normally cause fuel issues, if the voltage is being messed up by it, it could cause the barometric pressure sensor to look like it's reading high or low to the ECU, hence bad fuel consumption?

I wonder if you could just disconnect the A/C switch if you're prepared to clear the fault codes when you replace it, and live without its demisting abilities for the Germany trip? That assumes it's the A/C switch causing a bad signal, rather than the wiring to it...

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 14:29   #28
BrockyV70Turbo
brockyv70t

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
Hiya,

maybe I got the wrong end of the stick but I thought the point was both these 2 sensors/switches share a common earth, so although a failing A/C pressure switch wouldn't normally cause fuel issues, if the voltage is being messed up by it, it could cause the barometric pressure sensor to look like it's reading high or low to the ECU, hence bad fuel consumption?

I wonder if you could just disconnect the A/C switch if you're prepared to clear the fault codes when you replace it, and live without its demisting abilities for the Germany trip? That assumes it's the A/C switch causing a bad signal, rather than the wiring to it...

Cheers, Pete
Hi Pete. I aint sure exactly whether it is causing the old girl to sup too much juice, I just presume it is. And what you wrote there makes sense to me: re voltage messed up etc !!!
It turns out there are two sensors on the AC system ( HP AND LP sides). So I have ordered both sensors, as I know one to be deffo defect. I have tried disconnecting the AC but the fault re-apears after a few miles. I went onto 247 spares.com and found the parts in Doncaster ( both with 90 day warranty). When they get here on Monday, I will swap em over and see what happens.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 19:54   #29
BrockyV70Turbo
brockyv70t

Default Thankyou very much

THANKYOU, THANKYOU, THANKYOU for everyones help with the fault on my car. I replaced the AC linear sensor this evening. I reconnected the battery and the light stayed off. I went for a drive- went past the 2.6 miles it normally stays off for, got to 5 got to 6 , drove 10 miles and the light stayed off. And it even seems like I am getting a bit more poke from the engine. And to cap it all the AC now works properly...........Once again thanks guys. Especially Mr T. who came up with the solution.

Great site this innit !!!

Last edited by BrockyV70Turbo; Sep 29th, 2008 at 19:57.
BrockyV70Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote