Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone with a T8 at nearly 4 or 5 years old - read this!

Views : 45606

Replies : 111

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2023, 14:52   #71
GaryHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustari View Post
PM sent if you could take a look when you get a moment. Going through this also in Ireland at the moment and would appreciate your insight.
Hi, I am also going through this issue in Ireland at the moment and would appreciate any help you could offer, thanks in advance.

Gary
GaryHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 14:59   #72
GaryHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey99 View Post
Further update, my electric motor issue is now repaired (sorted by a new motor with ~70% goodwill from Volvo due at least in part to my full main dealer history). So ERAD diff failure may not be the end of the road for some people with these problems.
Hi,

I also have an ERAD failure (191 XC60 UK import). I 'seem' to be at the beginning of this journey - car just left with mechanic who has taken it to the garage believing it is an ERAD issue. I was wondering if you had any advice?
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 15:03   #73
GaryHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbanana View Post
Oct 2017 XC90 T8 with similar occasional power flat spot issue on takeoff. In with MD now for full service and they’re checking ERAD codes. Await their feedback. Outside of warranties. Bought in UK and imported to Ireland in 2020. 58k miles on clock.

Did any of the irish members manage to get any coverage up to 5 years? (Car will be 5 years in Oct 2022 so hopeful MD will provide some level of cover). Alternatively I wonder could it be covered by Volvo UK somehow given it was a UK import.
Hi,

I also have an ERAD failure (191 XC60 UK import). I 'seem' to be at the beginning of this journey - car just left with mechanic who has taken it to the garage believing it is an ERAD issue. I was wondering if you had any luck with either Volvo Ireland or Volvo UK?
Old Mar 19th, 2023, 22:42   #74
gambiting

My 2020 XC60 T8(built in January 2020) was hesitating to start moving under EV power(frequently I'd reverse out of my drive, put it into D, then the car just wouldn't move, the power needle would go up but the car did absolutely nothing - then the ICE would start and the car would move).

Reported it during service on the 20th of February 2023, Volvo authorized in-warranty repair of ERAD the next day, had my car booked in for the 13th of March(they didn't have any courtesy cars until then), the garage had my car for 3 days during which they replaced the clutch pack on the EV motor - it drives like brand new now. Very happy with the service, all went smoothly and the garage was helpful all the way. I asked their service manager if I should expect this to happen again and he said the part has been revised and this problem shouldn't re-occur. Well, fingers crossed!
gambiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 21:22   #75
volvoxc9t82017

Angry XC90 T8 2017 ERAD issue

Really helpful forum for sure, and so sad to see many XC90 T8 users suffering from this very well known and hidden problem in the car that Volvo has created and has not been accounted for.

I am very disappointed to see this Plug-in Hybrid become environmentally damaging (as you can override / Turn off the Hybrid when you start by putting it into performance mode if you choose not to repair it) and also put the family in the car and the public in danger on the roads with the sudden power loss on ERAD Electric Motor when pulling out from junction or signal or roundabouts.

My car has developed this issue, but I cannot understand the codes from the diagnostics shared by MD.

Can someone please help me with what fault codes to expect from ECM vehicle diagnostics to show it is an ERAD Electric Motor failure?

Volvo UK has refused to cover it under Manfuturering defect, as everyone experience. The worst part is that even 3rd party, Warrantywise (a bunch of Clowns and Crooks), does not cover this as they cannot see the motor to identify if this is faulty or not (They know ERAD is Sealed Motor, but they keep insisting on seeing to believe it- using all BS delaying tactics not pay for the claim).

I have had enough with them so far, and I persistently take this matter into court and report this DVLA. I am also reporting this to www. the motor ombudsman.org. I am also planning this matter to Watchdog and other social media platforms to express my dissatisfaction with vehicle quality, environmental damage etc...and to make everyone aware of these issues when buying Plug-in vehicles from Volvo.

Any suggestions and comments on this matter would be much appreciated.

Thank you once again in advance.

Last edited by volvoxc9t82017; Mar 21st, 2023 at 21:25.
volvoxc9t82017 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvoxc9t82017 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 13:15   #76
Mattea Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
I’ll definitely be keeping this in mind when it comes to buying second hand... I wonder if i phone a dealership will they know when the ERAD was modified on new cars... mid to late 2017 says Philip Fisher.... Its probably something they don’t want to talk about too much
I've spoken with a few dealerships, 2020/21 models allegedly have ironed out the ERAD Volvo day and night robbery fault (should be a recall, end of! IMO).

However, I was looking at buying a Black T8 R-design 2020 plate, I called Volvo to check whether the ERAD had any previous issues, it did. The ERAD was replaces in 2022. Now, that's either extremley unlikely, or the engineering still needs improvements? Based on the last eight years performance, I'd say the later.
Egg on the chaps face from the Vovlo dealership who prior to checking the plates insured the problem had been resolved from 2020 models.

I asked the dealership if this has been replaced in 2022, would this renew the current warranties offered on faulty ERAD's? I was told if outside the five years from vehicle registration, it's only 1 year warranty from install? Not a new 5 years from the install of the new ERAD
Mattea Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mattea Taylor For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 21:36   #77
daedal

Default XC90 T8 2019 ERAD issue

Hi all,

Adding my experience to this incredibly useful thread on the ongoing ERAD issues.

I have an MY2019 XC90 T8 that I purchased last year with 22k miles. Was driving fine when I got it, but a few months ago started to develop hesitation during pull away, I'd put the pedal down at a junction and the car would do nothing for a few seconds before the IC would kick into life and carry the car.

The car was still able to drive in pure EV mode but there were no error codes or any other unusual sounds.

Took it for annual service to Marshalls MK and mentioned the hesitation issue. The tech diagnosed it as an ERAD clutch fault, and it was showing intermittent error codes on their diagnostics tools and they were quick to say 'we caught it early but this fault usually gets worse very quickly'. Was quoted £3600 for the work to replace the ERAD clutch specifically, but luckily I had the Volvo extended warranty which covered the cost for this. I asked after the work was done whats the likelihood of this occurring again, their answer 'We can't say for sure, but this part is warrantied for 12 months'

Car was in the shop for 1.5 days which I picked up earlier today. Drives like a completely different car, ERAD to IC transition is smooth as silk, and vice versa. I suspect it must have always had an ERAD issue from the moment I purchased it but having never test driven a T8 at the time had no reference for comparison. Very grateful to have had the Volvo extended warranty!

From reviewing the video footage of the undercarriage during the recent service I noticed that the ERAD unit had 'ERAD2' engraved on the casing, which suggests this was the redesigned ERAD unit fitted from MY18 onwards.

During my driving today I noticed an intermittent 'low frequency warble/hum' from the rear when inside the car, which would periodically come on for about 10-20 seconds and then stop. This sound only manifests whilst the car is in motion in EV mode and in regular periodic intervals.

This was not a sound that was previously present in the car. Its hard to record unfortunately. Does anyone else have a similar experience? I can't determine if this is normal operation or if this is now a case of something else failing.

I'd be more worried if this was accompanied by some metallic sounds which would suggest other issues with the ERAD beyond the clutch which was replaced, but thankfully there's no other concerns so I'm leaning to just normal operation.

I hope my experience helps someone else in this situation!

Tip for prospective T8 buyers; go with the direct Volvo warranty rather than third party, from reviewing other posts on this forum it appears third party warranty providers look for any excuse to avoid paying out on these ERAD faults.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 21:46   #78
Cull06
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post

During my driving today I noticed an intermittent 'low frequency warble/hum' from the rear when inside the car, which would periodically come on for about 10-20 seconds and then stop. This sound only manifests whilst the car is in motion in EV mode and in regular periodic intervals.
Mine does this when turning in electric mode. Normal apparently.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 22:45   #79
MLI33D

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedal View Post
Hi all,

Tip for prospective T8 buyers; go with the direct Volvo warranty rather than third party, from reviewing other posts on this forum it appears third party warranty providers look for any excuse to avoid paying out on these ERAD faults.
Hi,

I've just joined this forum due to this outstanding thread.

Heard the dreaded clank from the rear while on a dual carriageway on the weekend - stopped on the side and assumed it was the brakes as they were due a replacement. Had the brakes replaced on Monday. Today just started suffering the hesitation and then the ICE kicking in.

I was just looking at aftermarket warranties as sadly my 16 plate is too old for Volvo Extended Warranty - but seeing this is stressing me as looks like I'm left with just fighting and footing the bill?

Thanks all

Last edited by MLI33D; Apr 27th, 2023 at 22:53.
MLI33D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2023, 10:51   #80
Owee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owee View Post
Excellent thread and thought I would add my experience of the ERAD failure and the favourable outcome.
Last week Saturday, driving along country lanes with approx 10 miles available on charge, car was switching between engines depending on gradient and suddenly could hear firecrackers going off under the car and strong burning smell followed by juddering and grinding sound from the back wheels. Volvo assist came out and recovered car after 4.5 hours (another story, should of just called my AA).
Dealership rang on Monday to say tech has driven it, cant see no issue (While waiting I did go backwards and forwards after the car had a chance to cool down and problem seemed to have gone). Gave more details to the service manager and said would try again. Next day rang to say problem had reoccurred on test run and its the ERAD.
Volvo UK will foot the bill fully but they cannot supply car replacement. If it went through my Volvo warranty, then they would pay for hire car but as its Volvo UK, no hire car. Dealership were excellent and have always found them very helpful and supplied us with one of their older cars which kept us mobile. Friday car was ready and having driven it since feels more responsive.

Just to add my car is 5 yrs old exactly today (from registration) and its a MY17. I have carried on the Volvo warranty after the 3 yrs warranty expired (Volvo card in post) and service it at that dealership. Also its only done 35k so I am not sure if these factors are taken into account when Volvo UK decide on who pays the bill and how good a case the dealership puts to them.
Hello again...looks like the ERAD has struck back!! Car hesitates when you put it into D after reversing (seems fine when you start car and drive off!!) Nothing happens when you put it into D and after about 10secs ICE comes on, car will start moving then about 3 secs later car will jolt forward, I assume that's the electric motor coming to life.
Bit disappointing as when the ERAD was changed in July 21, was told its the new redesigned part (was told 3k worth of repair was carried out) and its lasted just under 23k.
I have seen people mention new ERAD clutch, is this something separate to the ERAD?