Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 51238

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2020, 07:49   #391
Dippydog
Premier Member

I know where you're at Tom.This time last year I had two cars-and only covered 5,000mls per year at most between them-when trawling the bay of E I saw a 960 saloon for sale and I thought oh yes that's nice but I don't need a third car[didn't really need two!]and didn't particularly have anywhere to keep another one which is why I bought it Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who said something like "I can resist everything but temptation"?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 18:55   #392
TomSaintJames

So, I think sense has prevailed, we’ve decided not to go for the limo. Not only would we struggle to store it, but progress on the Hearse would stop/suffer and we'd really like to get it usable as a camper by next summer, with a decent amount of work completed this summer.

On the subject of, I spent quite a long time today unloading the engine from the hearse. It all went rather well, and I was very happy with the engine stand - it was very stable and I was able to wheel it around on uneven concrete without much issue.

Stage 1

Stage 2 required a fair amount of jiggling about, and judicious use of wooden block 'props' to keep the engine upright. However, the hearse floor was just about the perfect height to bolt the stand onto the bellhousing.

Like that!

It will be going up the garden path, and resting at the top by the paving slabs. There is a handy tree to strap it to as the path has an incline, don't really want it jollying off!

Stage 3. I didn't take any photos of this bit, I removed the inlet manifold and carbs, thermostat housing and exhaust manifold. I was VERY surprised that all of the parts came off with relative ease - even the water-cooled exhaust manifold! The bolt nearest the flywheel end required an extension bar for leverage, but it budged before it rounded off, so that is a win!

Stage 4 was the hard bit, getting the stand + engine up the makeshift ramps and path. But using the ratchet straps, the cherry tree and a good old does of shove it was nowhere near as bad as I’d thought.

The dog was helping at this point too.

The head looks not too bad from the outside, even the exhaust ports for the 4th cylinder isn’t completely gone (apparently a weak spot, as seawater from the manifold passes the port here). This is good news, I can either sell the head or keep it *just in case* we do go +T a few years down the line.

More dog, and some parts.

Engine thoroughly tarpaulin'd and bungee'd. Not yet done the Dave trick with the ATF, but I did buy some so I may get around to it Tuesday morning. We ran out of time this afternoon, as we were due round a friend’s to help them shift some heavy stuff. It's not as if I’d been shifting a red block about by myself all afternoon! I noticed, unfortunately, that the ID plate for this engine is not present, so I don't know if it is an AQ151A/B/C/D, the engine man will be able to tell me the main bearing location and con rod sizes but it would have been good to have it!

Now for some non-Volvo content, I’ve taken a couple of photos of our garden to justify the mess of the bottom part where the engine is sat for now! Just for perspective, when we moved in and AFTER we'd cleared out all the junk, random bits of crap, strimmed and then mowed, it looked like this. You can still see a load of crap behind the greenhouse that hadn't been dispatched to the tip yet.

This is now the upper part, I’m looking out of the conservatory, so you can't see most of the patio. There is still no fence on the RHS, but there is also no-one living there (or has been for over 5 years).

The bottom of the garden is less sorted, that will be this summer’s project. The pond is busted, and waay too big, so will be reduced to about 1/3 of its size. I also need to finish building my shed, it’s structurally there, but no finishing touches or interior features like a potting bench and shelves etc. It will also have a green roof.

Back to the hearse, I had a good look at the tyre that suffered potentially 2 hours of 70mph at 6psi, it doesn't look good! Perhaps two new front tyres are required sooner rather than later... The front driver’s side is OK, but still worn on the outside of the tread from when the coilovers were fitted, and the camber was out.

The front passenger side however has a very worn sidewall.

And some bulging, that I only noticed today!

For reference, the sizes are:
Front - 215/40/17
Rear - 225/45/17

I'm thinking the new fronts need to be a little wider so they protect the lip of the steel wheel better, and so that they aren't stretched to fit the rim. I'll do some research tonight on rolling diameters etc.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Mar 7th, 2020 at 20:15.
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 19:15   #393
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Great work Tom!

Glad you found the right bolts for the stand too.

That garden has transformed from how you got it, I'm in the same boat with my house except it's all gravel in the garden

I hope there's no ruddy fish going in that pond! Leave it for the frogs and newts. I currently have about 200 tadpoles in a tank in the kitchen to protect them from the frost. I need to build a pond before they turn in to frogs so the race is on.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 20:47   #394
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What Luke said! ^^^^^

As for those tyres, that bulge could blow at anyt time so treat them as a matter of urgency.

Both tyres are borederline illegal because of the scuffing, if that's only the outer edge you may get away with it but if it's the inner edge as well and there's less than 3/4 of the width in the centre of the tread with at least 1.6mm, then they're illegal.

An oversealous cop might insist that it is less than 3/4 of the width left that is at 1.6mm or above so i'd strongly advise sorting them ASAP.

Still think those wheels and tyres that Mark is selling would be your best bet, even if you only used them as a stop-gap to keep you legal.
You'd probably prefer the ride comfort and lighter steering as well!

Did you remove the fuel pump from the Penta engine or was it already off? I think you can buy pre-made blanking plates but if not an engineering shop should be able to knock something up for you fairly cheaply.
Are you familiar with stretching a piece of paper over the bit you need and using the edge of a pencil on the edges to create the pattern?

Just don't do the central square hole!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 21:14   #395
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I read all of your post but somehow missed the tyre bulge or it didn't click with me. I'd get those tyres changed ASAP as that bulge could go bang at any time.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 23:05   #396
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The bulge is where the sidewall has already failed so get it changed asap
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 10:04   #397
TomSaintJames

I only noticed the bulge yesterday, makes me slightly anxious that we drove it home with an engine on board for over an hour on the motorway with that! I'll get some ordered today for fitting asap. The OH needs it Tuesday, so will see if I can get them fitted Tuesday morning first thing.

I understand where your coming from Dave, but for us these wheels are some of the appeal of the whole vehicle, they make it look even more cool! And whilst I know looks aren't everything, we'd like to keep them. Also, when we had new suspension, something had to be cut so they'd fit (assuming a bolt, can't remember now!) meaning we can't use normal wheels. I've never had the wheels off this vehicle oddly - perhaps it has spacers/adaptors. One way to find out.

Can't wait for my exams to be over in May, we can really get on with house, garden and car jobs (of which there are plenty to go around in each category!). To be honest, even thought the engine did need unloading, I really should have been studying rather than tinkering with engines yesterday! I did enjoy myself though
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 10:44   #398
TomSaintJames

Does anyone know if the speed sensor for these is on the front wheels, gearbox or rear driven wheels?

So i've been comparing tyre sizes and the 215/40/17 that are on there have a smaller rolling radius than the standard 185/65/15 that the internet seems to think is the standard saloon size.

215/40/17 = 23.8" diameter
185/65/15 = 24.5"

To me, although it'd be safer with the speed difference (assuming the sensor is on the front wheels) i'd rather go slightly larger than stock compared to smaller so the revs per mile are slightly lower.

Taking into account that the 215/40 tyres are slightly stretched, and that the diameter is smaller, I think i'll go for 225/45/17. It should either not be stretched, or less stretched and another aspect ration higher will give a bit more squish and comfort. What's half an inch between friends?

225/45/17 = 25.0" Preferred option
225/40/17 = 24.1" Option B
215/40/17 = 23.8" Current
185/65/15 = 24.5" Stock

We know and like Dunlop efficient performance as we've had them in two previous cars, they're quiet, comfortable and have good ratings (fuel rating B, wet grip A). They come in the above preferred size so I've ordered a set of those for 8:30 Tuesday morning. Sorted!
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Mar 8th, 2020 at 10:51.
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 11:03   #399
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
Does anyone know if the speed sensor for these is on the front wheels, gearbox or rear driven wheels?

So i've been comparing tyre sizes and the 215/40/17 that are on there have a smaller rolling radius than the standard 185/65/15 that the internet seems to think is the standard saloon size.

215/40/17 = 23.8" diameter
185/65/15 = 24.5"

To me, although it'd be safer with the speed difference (assuming the sensor is on the front wheels) i'd rather go slightly larger than stock compared to smaller so the revs per mile are slightly lower.

Taking into account that the 215/40 tyres are slightly stretched, and that the diameter is smaller, I think i'll go for 225/45/17. It should either not be stretched, or less stretched and another aspect ration higher will give a bit more squish and comfort. What's half an inch between friends?

225/45/17 = 25.0" Preferred option
225/40/17 = 24.1" Option B
215/40/17 = 23.8" Current
185/65/15 = 24.5" Stock

We know and like Dunlop efficient performance as we've had them in two previous cars, they're quiet, comfortable and have good ratings (fuel rating B, wet grip A). They come in the above preferred size so will order a set of those for early Tuesday morning. Sorted!
The speed sensor is in the diff so it's the back wheels that are sensed for the speedo. As such, i'd suggest putting the new, correctly sized tyres on the rear.

Have you looked in your handbook to confirm the correct size? Also the sticker on the drivers door.

As it happens, 185/65/15 is the correct size but also 195/65/15 is regarded as correct and if you use a GPS speedo app on your phone, you'll probably find the speedo is over-reading. If it's more than 10% fast, you're in trouble, technically anyway.

I had 185/60/15 on mine when i first got it (again a correct size) but the speedo was about 12-14% fast showing about 84mph at a genuine 70mph.
When i renewed my tyres i went to 195/65/15 (634mm dia) and the error is now about +7% so shows about 75mph at 70mph. I did consider 205/70/15 to further correct the speedo but they were a lot more money!

The 225/45/17 works out as 634mm as well so is a good choice.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 11:12   #400
TomSaintJames

Thanks for that Dave, it probably isa overreading slightly! No issues so far in 2 years ish of ownership though. Thank goodness! Handbook?! If you flick back to the start of this thread, you'll remember it was in a right state when we got it. This car came with nothing, only a recent MOT, service and V5 - there wasn't even a radio.

New tyres successfully purchased and fitted. I've found this in other vehicles, but it bears repeating - what a difference decent tyres make! How well the front feels now, after 2 new Goodyear efficientgrip performance tyres is a dramatic difference over the previous, smaller, crappier tyres. Steering is better too, it used to tramline/pull in one direction suddenly. Although I think the older fronts 'looked' better, i'd rather have a nicer ride.

New 225/45/17

Old 215/40/17

Current rears, also 225/45/17 but the same brand tyre as the old fronts, either a 'performance' or cheaper tyre. They handled very well, especially around corners but the ride quality suffered, and that is an important factor in cars for me. My other cars are a Lexus and hydraulic Citroen (lots of waft!).

Although they're the same size as the rears, these new tyres have a noticably different sidewall, they also really show up the 'ride' at the rear so much so that I want the rears changed now! But they have over half their tread left, so all in good time. I've just looked up reviews for the Jinyu Gallopro YU63's that the Hearse came with, most people say they;re very good in the dry, but range from bad to scary in the wet! This matches my experience, I assumed the slipperyness/scaryness of the hearse in the wet was because of the weight/aerodynamics etc, but perhaps the tyres affected this more! I had a scare on a wet roundabout last year, accelerated as hard as a B200E can down a hill from traffic (so 10mph ish) to 40 so I could slip into a gap going over a roundabout, it's a smallish roundabout and the back end suddenly snapped out as I went round iy. I was VERY lucky no-one was in the outer lane of the roundabout or they would have a hearse shaped dent in the side of their car... I've taken it decidedly more gently in the wet since! I'd tried before this to get the back end out, to no avail, but that must have been in the dry.

This car just keeps getting nicer to drive, engine next
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Mar 10th, 2020 at 11:29.