Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Do I go for an XC40?

Views : 2296

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2022, 01:04   #1
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Default Do I go for an XC40?

We have been looking at an XC40 as our next car, and test drove a two year old Inscription Pro B4 which we liked.
Things have changed spec wise since we bought the V90. Life was so much simpler then. All options were clearly named, so you knew what you were getting. I am not 100% sure what is on the Inscription Pro.
I am also a little worried we will miss some of the options that we take for granted on the V90.

There is quite a chunk of cash to change from the V90 to the XC40 which would pay for a lot of repairs should we ever need them.

Do we go for it or not?
Your opinions are sought.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 01:59   #2
MikeGMT
VOC Member

My thoughts, probably the biggest hurdle to cross would be the loss of space. If that's not a problem then I think you could probably spec' up a XC40 or find a used model with a lot of the creature comforts you are accustomed to.

Having had a few XC40's as loaners I'm not so sure I could jump that hurdle. I do like the chunky styling though.
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 11:25   #3
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
My thoughts, probably the biggest hurdle to cross would be the loss of space. If that's not a problem then I think you could probably spec' up a XC40 or find a used model with a lot of the creature comforts you are accustomed to.

Having had a few XC40's as loaners I'm not so sure I could jump that hurdle. I do like the chunky styling though.
I wouldnt miss the space so much now, we have stopped towing a caravan around.
Most of our journeys are on the shorter side now, which we all know is not the best thing for diesels.
So thinking it t might be time for a change.

Old Oct 30th, 2022, 07:49   #4
koolt5

I have 20 plate Inscription pro t5 phev , it's a great car with all the whistles and bells! road sign recognition / the amazing bliss system for mirrors etc / the 360 camera is incredible/13 speaker hardon karman sound system/ panoramic sunroof/ great headlights with auto dipping which is superb / foot opening tailgate/android auto/voice control/blistering performance for a heavy vehicle/ and much more !
What would you miss from your previous car !
koolt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to koolt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 14:40   #5
Haldex
Premier Member

We bought an XC40 as a second car (along an XC60..) but having realized that 40 is perfectly well sized to be our primary ride (a family of 4..) we ended up selling the 60. Other than BLIS (unavailable due to chip shortage..) our 40 is loaded with all the features we had on our 60 - so can’t say that we miss or lack anything. In terms of space - 40 has better cabin space and unnoticeably smaller trunk - which I compensated by getting the steel grille - so we just load it a bit higher 🙂 Performance-wise, the 40 is brisker (it is a B4 mild hybrid - vs. a D5 PP in the 60..) but when fully loaded and uphill in the Alpes - I do miss the endless torque of the diesel - but can live without it. Economy of the B4 is actually slightly better than D5 (8L/100km (36mpg) average vs. 8.5L/100km (33mpg) for the diesel..).

And yes, - I am loving the 7-gear DCT gearbox performance over the 8-speed auto in the 60- which I was quite reluctant at the time of purchase.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 23:15   #6
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolt5 View Post
I have 20 plate Inscription pro t5 phev , it's a great car with all the whistles and bells! road sign recognition / the amazing bliss system for mirrors etc / the 360 camera is incredible/13 speaker hardon karman sound system/ panoramic sunroof/ great headlights with auto dipping which is superb / foot opening tailgate/android auto/voice control/blistering performance for a heavy vehicle/ and much more !
What would you miss from your previous car !

£30 VED per year!
Seriously I would certainly settle for the same spec. as your XC40, as it mostly matches my V90.
Currently trawling the listings on the Volvo Selekt and Autotrader sites hoping to find a similar specced. T or B4 or 5 to yours.

Old Mar 14th, 2023, 11:49   #7
Coulsdon Eagle

Default Boot space for dogs

Hi. New to this forum.
I am test driving a new XC40 B3 tomorrow and in need of some advice.
Having to get rid of our Nissan Qashqai+2 due to the ULEZ expansion and am interested in the XC40.
We have a Hungarian Vizsla dog who has so much space in our current Nissan.
Can I ask if any members feel the boot on the XC40has sufficient room to transport a medium/large dog?
I did consider bringing him along to the test drive but I don't think the sales rep would appreciate it! Lol
Thanking you in anticipation.
Coulsdon Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2023, 19:32   #8
X70LVO

Soon moving from XC70 D4 to XC40 B4 and looking forward to it
X70LVO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to X70LVO For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 08:19   #9
ruralscot

Just picked up my 2020 70 Plate T3 R Design with nearly every pack thrown onto it from what I can gather.

Took it from Inverness to Skye yesterday (had a bit of fun in the Dynamic mode) but mostly in eco mode and it returned 48.9mpg average which I'm not going to complain about.

My 2016 Hyundai Tucson 2.0Crdi would do less on the same trip.

I have however....the sticking clutch pedal issue so it's booked in to get that looked into. No clutch slip, just randomly sticking pedal so I'd say slave cylinder. Apart from that, I'm happy
Old Jul 29th, 2023, 12:38   #10
mark1400

my XC40 T5 PRO has all the tech, blis, acc, 3d cam etc and all the other stuff and I really love the car. My very large German Shepard has loads of room and has travelled with me from Wolverhampton to Aberdeen twice no problem.
mark1400 is offline   Reply With Quote