Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the problem with electric cars?

Views : 70725

Replies : 1330

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 17:17   #1081
Whippy
Premier Member

I wonder what they / anybody actually thinks forcing us into overpriced cars is gonna achieve. Does anyone actually believe that the population of India, China, USA, south America, Russia, Pakistan etc are going to say "yay, let's spend money we don't have just to make westerners feel good about themselves".

No, it's just Joe muggins, the rich elite, footballers wives and green eco willy wavers that are rushing to promote this ****e. "Oh Dahling, you simply must buy me the latest £100k EV, everyone's doing it".

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you put in your drive if the person making the pollution carries on. And he will.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 17:26   #1082
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I wonder what they / anybody actually thinks forcing us into overpriced cars is gonna achieve. Does anyone actually believe that the population of India, China, USA, south America, Russia, Pakistan etc are going to say "yay, let's spend money we don't have just to make westerners feel good about themselves".

No, it's just Joe muggins, the rich elite, footballers wives and green eco willy wavers that are rushing to promote this ****e. "Oh Dahling, you simply must buy me the latest £100k EV, everyone's doing it".

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what you put in your drive if the person making the pollution carries on. And he will.
We’re spending this money to save the environment right?? Can’t put a price on that can we???? Nice try Pal. If you keep saying it often enough someone might actually believe it.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 17:39   #1083
Whippy
Premier Member

Sorry, we had lamb at the weekend and I used up all my tinfoil, I'll make a new hat after we've been shopping.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 18:39   #1084
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Sorry, we had lamb at the weekend and I used up all my tinfoil, I'll make a new hat after we've been shopping.
Good plan…… I might join ya 😉😉

Last edited by The Thong; Apr 2nd, 2024 at 19:50.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 23:34   #1085
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
I think there’s been a lot of keeping the proverbial turds under the waterline to keep the agenda going. We don’t like negativity, just keep smiling and hopefully it’ll go away. Not the greatest method by far but it’s the way our government roll. It just proves how much they don’t understand the electorate and the way to get everyone on side. Buzz words and phrases are not cutting the mustard anymore as everyone is sick to the teeth of hollow promises.
I’ll be sticking with hybrid for now until this lot is sorted. I like the EV idea and they’re a nice drive from what I’ve tried so far but I don’t want to get lumbered yet with some thing that could potentially drain the Bank of Thong. The battery pack on my Crosstrek is warranted for 8yrs or 80k but I’m not planning on putting it to the test either so I’ll be changing my motor in circa 3yrs while its repairs are still the dealers problem.

I still like that EX30 though

TT
It'll be the same after the next general election. Whichever party wins will promise the world and won't deliver. Its always been like that.

One thing I know for sure is if they want more EV's on the road, they have to invest massively into infrastructure and manufacturer's will have to start making affordable EV's. There's far too many that only the wealthy can afford.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 2nd, 2024 at 23:38.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 04:36   #1086
baggy798
🤍💙💗

We've never had it so good.

In 1894 there were 150,000 horses in New York City, producing some 3,000,000 pounds of manure and 40,000 gallons of urine every day. This is roughly the same amount produced at the Conservative and Labour party conferences, respectively.

Urban streets were minefields that needed to be navigated with the greatest care. “Crossing sweepers” stood on street corners, and for a fee they would clear a path through the mire for pedestrians. Wet weather turned the streets into swamps and rivers of muck, but dry weather brought little improvement. The manure turned to dust, which was then whipped up by the wind, choking pedestrians and coating buildings.

It piled up faster than it could be disposed of, and more than farmers could use, so vacant lots in cities across America had piles of poop 40-60 feet high. Streets were littered with the bodies of dead horses, with more than three dozen of which had to be hauled off every day. All this was a huge breeding ground for flies and disease, including deadly outbreaks of typhoid and infant diarrhea.

But this wasn’t just an American crisis: London had a population of 50,000 horses in 1900, producing around a million pounds of manure a day. The Times newspaper predicted "In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure."

Guess ICE cars aren't so bad after all.😉

Last edited by baggy798; Apr 3rd, 2024 at 04:40.
baggy798 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baggy798 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 09:31   #1087
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post

In 1894 there were 150,000 horses in New York City, producing some 3,000,000 pounds of manure and 40,000 gallons of urine every day. This is roughly the same amount produced at the Conservative and Labour party conferences, respectively.

Urban streets were minefields that needed to be navigated with the greatest care. “Crossing sweepers” stood on street corners, and for a fee they would clear a path through the mire for pedestrians. Wet weather turned the streets into swamps and rivers of muck, but dry weather brought little improvement. The manure turned to dust, which was then whipped up by the wind, choking pedestrians and coating buildings.

It piled up faster than it could be disposed of, and more than farmers could use, so vacant lots in cities across America had piles of poop 40-60 feet high. Streets were littered with the bodies of dead horses, with more than three dozen of which had to be hauled off every day. All this was a huge breeding ground for flies and disease, including deadly outbreaks of typhoid and infant diarrhea.

But this wasn’t just an American crisis: London had a population of 50,000 horses in 1900, producing around a million pounds of manure a day. The Times newspaper predicted "In 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure."

Excellent point well made. That’s a staggering amount of waste per horse when you boil the figures down. I think people imagine the Victorian Streets as nice clean cobbled streets with carriages rattling up and down them like on those period drama’s when these above figures paint a completely opposite picture.

TT

Last edited by The Thong; Apr 3rd, 2024 at 11:43.
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 11:37   #1088
Existential Crisis

Quote:

Are you suggesting that ICE cars are the zenith of our engineering evolution? Perhaps pictures will be shown that show smog bound cities of the past one day...and no, I don't know if EV are the answer, but I do know that progress is not for progress sake, it is akin to planting trees for future generations to enjoy...
Existential Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 11:51   #1089
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
Are you suggesting that ICE cars are the zenith of our engineering evolution? Perhaps pictures will be shown that show smog bound cities of the past one day...and no, I don't know if EV are the answer, but I do know that progress is not for progress sake, it is akin to planting trees for future generations to enjoy...
Even modern cars are a vast improvement on cars s of the past. I used to live a quarter of a mile from the M6/M5 split and on a still summers night when the rush hour and holiday traffic was stationary you could cut that with a knife. There was a brown haze over the Tame Valley caused by all this trucks and cars ticking over. Cars and trucks are way clearer than they used to be. There’s a few old skool cars that bumble are our streets and they smell of half burned petrol…. There’s a few sooty diesel’s and they stink. It’s easy to forget those times.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 11:56   #1090
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Those in power believe different. Emissions have gone up in London, despite the ULEZ zone expansion.

Khan regrets lack of data on expanded ULEZ air quality impacts before mayoral election. Sadiq Khan has said he regrets the fact that voters will not be able to see data on the specific air quality impacts of the expanded ULEZ until after the London mayoral election.

Wonder why that is???