Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Views : 306196

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 15:15   #71
d2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8disco View Post
Mine didnt. The steering wheel controls dont work, but apart from that its perfect. I cant imagine that Volvo would put a genuine/non genuine radio flag in the software.

When I did mine, I did first try and get an auto electrician to do it who refused on the basis that it wasnt possible on Volvos, so clearly there is an air of mystery about them, but once you rip them apart, its little different than any other car.

Attached are a couple of pics
how much you pay for those headrests..???, were they a pig to install..??

im gonna be changing the 803 HU for a double din TV unit soon, as the CD's skip constantly with the 803 unit... its bloody annoying!!

but id like screens for the kids in the back.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 16:14   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Yes, definatly. You can't fit a second hand Volvo radio safely but you can have the ecu programed to accept a none Volvo aftermarket radio. The Volvo radio's are very good though.

No point in designing a security system that can be overidden is there?
Thats a shame. It may be classed as a security system but it seems more like a way of making money as you cant use second hand items!! Not very eco friendly either! Ive heard the radios are good. I was only thinking of changing the radio if I got a s60 as I want one with a tape player not just a cd player but this wont be a problem on the c70's as they all have tape/cd players.
747727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 16:39   #73
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747727 View Post
Thats a shame. It may be classed as a security system but it seems more like a way of making money as you cant use second hand items!! Not very eco friendly either! Ive heard the radios are good. I was only thinking of changing the radio if I got a s60 as I want one with a tape player not just a cd player but this wont be a problem on the c70's as they all have tape/cd players.
You could say it was more eco friendly as it means you have to repair the radio you have if it developes a fault. You can fit additional devices so you can connect pretty much anything. I have a 1TB hard drive and a 8Gb memory stick connected to mine. I'm contemplating getting an internet radio to add on at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 14:21   #74
v8disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2k View Post
how much you pay for those headrests..???, were they a pig to install..??

im gonna be changing the 803 HU for a double din TV unit soon, as the CD's skip constantly with the 803 unit... its bloody annoying!!

but id like screens for the kids in the back.
From memory, they were about 250 for the pair off Ebay. They were brand new from a Dealer getting rid of old stock. They fitted fine in the seats, but the wiring was a bit of a pain. I cut the plugs off and taped the cable ends to an old choke cable inner. I then threaded that down inside the seat and then made up a new loom to convert the cable ends to go into a rear AV distribution unit. This also has Freeview TV run into it and a volume/source controller on each rear trim panel so each rear passenger can select TV/DVD or Ipod and watch/listen independantly of the other.

Also, you do not need to tell the ECU that there is not a Volvo radio fitted.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 23:37   #75
UKTech

Hi all
I don't seem to remember signing anything that would allow Volvo to dissable everything in my car if I should do something to it, surely they can't render your car totally useless if you've tampered with something in YOUR vehicle.
I don't think it would be legal to do that, I can understand them refusing to deal with an item you've fitted but surely they can't render your vehicle useless.
Has anyone actually experienced this or is it all a mythe?
Can they render YOUR car useless?

UKTech
UKTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 17:07   #76
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTech View Post
Hi all
I don't seem to remember signing anything that would allow Volvo to dissable everything in my car if I should do something to it, surely they can't render your car totally useless if you've tampered with something in YOUR vehicle.
I don't think it would be legal to do that, I can understand them refusing to deal with an item you've fitted but surely they can't render your vehicle useless.
Has anyone actually experienced this or is it all a mythe?
Can they render YOUR car useless?

UKTech
It's part of the security system. You buy the car and get the security system as standard. You read all that small print when you signed the purchase agreement didn't you? ;-)
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 21:47   #77
UKTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
It's part of the security system. You buy the car and get the security system as standard. You read all that small print when you signed the purchase agreement didn't you? ;-)
No, I didn't, I bought mine from a non Volvo dealer and nothing was mentioned and there's nothing in my sales agreement saying that Volvo could render my car useless if I done something to it that they didn't like.

Do you truthfully know anyone who this has happened to, even more, is there anyone else on this forum who can actually name people who this has happened to.

I await with interest to the answers.

Best regards

UKTech
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 17:28   #78
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
No, I didn't, I bought mine from a non Volvo dealer and nothing was mentioned and there's nothing in my sales agreement saying that Volvo could render my car useless if I done something to it that they didn't like.

Do you truthfully know anyone who this has happened to, even more, is there anyone else on this forum who can actually name people who this has happened to.

I await with interest to the answers.

Best regards

UKTech
You don't have any agreement with Volvo about what they can and can't do. If you allow it to be connected it to VIDA and you've changed any modules without making necessary updates to the program it's asking for trouble. It's what the security system is designed to do, like the alarm system setting when you use the remote locking.

I only know by reports on the forum of it happening and that it was difficult and expensive to fix. I haven't made any changes to my car so it's not an issue for me. I like having a secure car that's an undesirable target for crooks, so I like the system personally.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 23:04   #79
UKTech

Hi again
Thanks for your reply and sorry to the OP for coming in and going partly off subject but, I think the answers to this are of interest to them as well as anyone else.
Nobody so far has named anyone who this has happened to or sent us off to a thread that does, I still can't see how Volvo can render your car useless, either legally or morally or any other thing for that matter. Hopefully someone will come in and give us a definitive answer, until then I think it's a myth.

Regards to all and sorry to go slightly off subject.

UKTech
Old Feb 14th, 2012, 18:22   #80
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi again
Thanks for your reply and sorry to the OP for coming in and going partly off subject but, I think the answers to this are of interest to them as well as anyone else.
Nobody so far has named anyone who this has happened to or sent us off to a thread that does, I still can't see how Volvo can render your car useless, either legally or morally or any other thing for that matter. Hopefully someone will come in and give us a definitive answer, until then I think it's a myth.

Regards to all and sorry to go slightly off subject.

UKTech
Ask Clan. He knows cars it has happened to.

Why would it be wrong to build in a security system that protects the car from theft? There is no way for the software to tell who is tampering/has tampered with the car, but if you follow the instructions in VIDA there won't be an issue. It's only the electronic modules that are affected.
The Following User Says Thank You to RoyMacDonald For This Useful Post: