Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Space saver how to mount in boot?

Views : 2653

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2013, 12:47   #1
Jonnyborell

Default XC60 Space saver how to mount in boot?

I would really appreciate some advice ref fitting a space saver in the boot of my 2010 XC60.

I've bought the wheel, the polystyrene inner holder for the jack and brace, all genuine volvo.

My problem is this - the mounting lug which sticks up out of the boot floor is slightly wider than the hole in the center of my spare wheel. This means the wheel just wants to pivot and wobble around on top of this protrusion without actually sitting securely on the boot floor.

Secondly, when i fit the polystyrene part inside the wheel, the securing bolt isn't long enought for its thread to engage into the threaded part of the lug in the boot floor.

Am I missing something? Is there an intermediate part which I should have bought?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Jon
Jonnyborell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 16:18   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

These are photos of my spare wheel in the XC60. One car came with a space saving tyre, the other came with a tyre inflating kit which was replaced with a spare wheel. It just slotted in using the attachment bits from the first XC. Maybe you aren't seating it correctly?

It should give you some idea how it looks when fitted?

volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 16:41   #3
Jonnyborell

Thanks for the photos.

It sounds like I've done the same as you - replaced the tyre inflation kit with a space saver / jack kit.

My problem is the wheel will not sit flush to the floor of the boot, it wobbles around on top of the protruding piece of metal which the retaining screw should thread into. It seems as if the wheel should 'drop over' this but the hole in the wheel isn't big enough to allow it to.

Would it be possible to post a photo with the polystyrene holder removed? I would really like to know if your wheel drops down over this lug in the middle.

Kind regards

Jon
Old May 19th, 2013, 17:17   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

I have removed it. What a kerfuffle to refit!!

What I reckon you are doing is trying to screw the long bolt thing into the wrong hole - ie the hole in the middle with no thread.

Take polystyrene inner out of spare wheel. Place spare wheel over metal thing with 3 holes in it that is welded to boot floor. Place metal spindle through polystyrene thing - the polysterene with the jack and tools in it, and locate that in centre of wheel ensuring you are screwing into one of the outer holes of the metal thing welded to boot floor.

Not too technical on the words, although trust you get the idea??..!!

Regards

Old May 19th, 2013, 19:16   #5
Jonnyborell

Thank you so much for going to all that trouble!!

I think I've just about got it sorted now - the wheel is bolted down and not going anywhere but I'm still not too happy by how much it wobbles around...

That lug sticking up still wants to act as a central pivot point for the wheel to balance on. I just think it would have been a better design if it were slightly smaller so the hole in the centre of the wheel could drop all the way over it.

Heyho.... The wheel is in and I'm much happier than I was.

Thanks once again.

Jon
Old May 19th, 2013, 20:50   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

You are welcome.

Thinking about it, I think the hole in the wheel perhaps doesn't actually cover the welded lug on the boot floor, instead balancing on it, (evidenced by the scratches on it in my photo). Tightening up the bolt that goes through the polystyrene parts is what makes the wheel as stable and secure as its likely to get.

Glad you sorted

Regards
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:24   #7
Pesky

My car has a foam spacer thingy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (166.3 KB, 67 views)
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 01:05   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

In what way does the foam thing help Pesky?

Cheers
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:56   #9
Pesky

It stops the wheel rubbing on the tyre well, Volvo dealer advised to order it with the other bits.
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boot floor, mounting, space saver wheels, wheel