Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suitable compensation for car delivered in wrong colour?

Views : 2163

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2011, 16:41   #1
menduffy

Unhappy Suitable compensation for car delivered in wrong colour?

I would like to poll people's thoughts on suitable compensation from a dealer when the colour of the car is wrong after the salesman makes a mistake? After 4 months of waiting, i turned up to find the car colour wrong!! the salesman thought i was having a laugh.
menduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 16:46   #2
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Getting to punch him in the face

Then sleep with his 18 year old daughter ?

just a suggestion.

But seriously... you're under no obligation to take it... I'd say at least a couple of hundred quid in accessories or a few hundred quid back, or just walk away.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 16:46   #3
jimbg
Master Member

what colour did you want and what has arrived?
jimbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 16:56   #4
Mrjon
Master Member

Its quite simply not the car you ordered, don't accept it, unless of course you like the colour.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 16:58   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by menduffy View Post
I would like to poll people's thoughts on suitable compensation from a dealer when the colour of the car is wrong after the salesman makes a mistake? After 4 months of waiting, i turned up to find the car colour wrong!! the salesman thought i was having a laugh.
Not good, and you would be within your rights to reject the car - assuming that you have something from the dealer stating the colour and spec that you ordered?

I assume that you have signed and dated proforma summarising what you ordered, you will need something like that to have a watertight case against them - then you can effectively go to town, with the knowledge that you can walk out if they won't play ball - but then you won't have a car

What you can get is dependent upon what you have and how hard-nosed you can be with what you have.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 17:00   #6
844PHW
Master Member

If the colour delivered was acceptable, I would be looking for for some compensation (free accessories, or free servicing, or reduced price etc), depending on mood a few hundred or several hundred pounds worth.

If the colour was not acceptable, I would refuse the car. What happened next would be a matter for negotiation.

Those are the two ends of the spectrum. There could be a more difficult situation of intermediate acceptability.
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 17:21   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by menduffy View Post
What colour did you order and what was delivered?

If you sort of like it then maybe accept with compensation, although dont let on.

TBH I would want a grand for a mistake like that.

The garage,if you refuse it will have to sell it on for less if its been registered so its an easy solution to them.Remember they will lose more selling to someone else.

Are you prepared to wait for another to be built? Have you a p/x

Ask the salesperson HOW it occurred.

I couldnt accept something if I loathed the colour as youll have it for a long time

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 17:39   #8
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
What colour did you order and what was delivered?

If you sort of like it then maybe accept with compensation, although dont let on.

TBH I would want a grand for a mistake like that.

The garage,if you refuse it will have to sell it on for less if its been registered so its an easy solution to them.Remember they will lose more selling to someone else.

Are you prepared to wait for another to be built? Have you a p/x

Ask the salesperson HOW it occurred.

I couldnt accept something if I loathed the colour as youll have it for a long time
All these questions are relevant but need to be discussed with the dealer principal not the salesman

Much may hinge on the actual paperwork and also on if the car has been registered (If so, in who's name?)

Was a price agreed for a p/ex and how long ago?

If the colour was charged extra then certainly that should be taken off for a start. If the colour supplied is totally different then you don't like it, reject it, because you'll look at the thing every day and say "I really wanted...."

If it's the wrong shade of blue or something like that you can live with haggle hard

Remember you will get more by taking add ons such as 3 years free servicing, mats, accessories than asking for straight cash discount
961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 19:47   #9
menduffy

So, i had 24 hrs of negotiation. The dealer was in fact very good and agreed compensation in the form of accessories and extra's worth approx £1400 to me. Luckily the colour wasn't massively different from what we had believed we had ordered and so was prepared to accept a compromise.

We were advised if we wanted to wait for a new car, delivery would be mid March 2012......I couldn't wait that long.

So we picked the car up today and i have to say i am utterly thrilled. Only did about 10 miles in it and the weather was atrocious. I cannot wait for the weekend and in two weeks time will be doing a 600 mile round trip to the North and so will have a chance to give it a good run.

Will get some pictures posted in the coming week if it stops raining! here's to my XC60 future! The wife has even started calling it the XCSexy as she thinks the car is superb looking, even in the wrong colour.
menduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 20:19   #10
Ransman
Master Member

OK, so what is the wrong colour?

Sounds like you got a good deal.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote