Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High Oil Consumption Linked to EGR Cooler and Valve Issues?

Views : 5452

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 15:11   #21
ant.f

Angry

Hi, All.
My 2014 s60 D4 is now asking for 0.5L of oil every 250ish miles, FSH correct oil used, started to notice around 76K, now at 120K. Tried to ask Volvo cars UK customer complaints, if the faulty piston ring are in my engine, but they avoiding answering this by saying, they are not technical at customer services, take it to your local dealer for investigation. I think Volvo knows exactly what's been installed down to the last nut and bolt to all its cars, and taking it to my local dealer scares the sh..! out of me and my poor wallet. My question is, do petrol and diesels engines use the same type of pistons and rings?. I ask this because we know the US and Australian market has experienced this issue and had the updated pistons and rings, but always only mention petrol versions. Has anyone heard of any legal action in the UK regarding this issue?. My engine number is 1113559 which is before the 1501327 engines that got the updated version. could anyone clarify this for me, is this correct. Has Volvo ever rectified this for anyone does anyone know.
What's the long term prognosis for these engines if nothing is done. Still emailing customer service at present, will update when I hear anything.

Ant.
ant.f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 16:44   #22
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant.f View Post
Hi, All.
My 2014 s60 D4 is now asking for 0.5L of oil every 250ish miles, FSH correct oil used, started to notice around 76K, now at 120K. Tried to ask Volvo cars UK customer complaints, if the faulty piston ring are in my engine, but they avoiding answering this by saying, they are not technical at customer services, take it to your local dealer for investigation. I think Volvo knows exactly what's been installed down to the last nut and bolt to all its cars, and taking it to my local dealer scares the sh..! out of me and my poor wallet. My question is, do petrol and diesels engines use the same type of pistons and rings?. I ask this because we know the US and Australian market has experienced this issue and had the updated pistons and rings, but always only mention petrol versions. Has anyone heard of any legal action in the UK regarding this issue?. My engine number is 1113559 which is before the 1501327 engines that got the updated version. could anyone clarify this for me, is this correct. Has Volvo ever rectified this for anyone does anyone know.
What's the long term prognosis for these engines if nothing is done. Still emailing customer service at present, will update when I hear anything.

Ant.
My understanding is that the oil control ring problem is common to both petrol and diesel VEA engines. I suspect that the issue became the subject of recall in the USA because it is a huge market with far more consumer legal clout than we have in the UK. We also got a poor deal regarding the VW 'Dieselgate' scandal for the same reason.

Your car will have the earlier design of oil control ring and will, therefore, be vulnerable to the problem. Whether or not that is the cause of high oil consumption in your car still needs to be determined, however. It probably is, but a proper diagnosis is the only way to be certain.

(We stand at the same crossroads regarding my wife's 2015 V60 D3. I think that I know what the issue is, but spending £3K on work only to find out that I was wrong really doesn't appeal to me.)

What neither of us knows is the long-term prognosis. If we just keep on topping up the oil will that be enough, or does the existence of blocked oil control rings cause other problems, e.g. cylinder damage or other types of blockage?

What I do know is that the issue that we probably both share doesn't affect emissions as my wife's V60 passed its MOT with no advisories late last year.

Can any forum members offer any insights regarding how VEA engines with this problem fare in the longer term if they aren't given new pistons and rings?

Another question is how the USA was able to organize and generate enough pressure to force Volvo to create a recall. Does anyone know?

Last edited by Sotosound; Feb 7th, 2022 at 16:47.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2022, 11:03   #23
ant.f

Hi,
Thanks for the info. As for the emissions passing MOT, mine also passed last week. Think that's probably due to all the carbon and stuff getting caught by the EGR cooler, intake manifold and elsewhere blocking up the engine. Would be laughing now normally, but its gone beyond a joke now.
Cheers,
Ant.
ant.f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ant.f For This Useful Post:

Tags
burning oil, egr cooler, egr valve, high oil consumption, rough idle