Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Saving Kiloran's 940

Views : 25156

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2021, 17:41   #71
kiloran

Tracked down the ABS issue - the fuse on top of the surge protector is really loose in the holder, which probably explains why it comes and goes whilst driving. A bump is going to be enough to jiggle it, and eventually it will jiggle enough to lose contact. Such an odd design - rather than fitting snug in a conventional fuse holder it's effective pushed down on top of the relay with the red plastic cover. Time to deploy some electricians tape I think.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 18:07   #72
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Great news! Electrical tape is very useful for these little issues.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 18:38   #73
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Tracked down the ABS issue - the fuse on top of the surge protector is really loose in the holder, which probably explains why it comes and goes whilst driving. A bump is going to be enough to jiggle it, and eventually it will jiggle enough to lose contact. Such an odd design - rather than fitting snug in a conventional fuse holder it's effective pushed down on top of the relay with the red plastic cover. Time to deploy some electricians tape I think.
Slide the ABS relay up the ABS ECU bracket so you can drop it down and get access to the fuse connectors. Squeeze them gently with a pair of pliers to tighten the contacts and then refit the fuse - no insulting tape needs be harmed!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 19:17   #74
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
insulting tape
PMSL!! "Your fuse box was a hamster and your wiring smelled of elderberries!"
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 19:25   #75
kiloran

Well, shakedowns never go entirely to plan do they - which is why we have shakedowns.

Popped out yesterday morning to a pool of coolant on the drive. "Oh bother, what now?" was a close approximation of my response.

Now, it had been fine all the way back from Luke's via Bristol and sitting in traffic for a couple of hours. Initially I couldn't find where it was coming from but then the leak got much, much worse. As in a stream of coolant ****ing off the back of the engine.

All fine on the exhaust side, no leaks from rad or expansion tank. Heater hoses dry on the bulkhead. Heater working. Puzzling. So it was time to dig out the phone camera and try and track it down.

Exhibit A:

PXL_20211114_151805079.jpg

Now, initially I thought that this was HG - as did Luke. But on further inspection Luke spotted moisture right at the top of the photo above the HG, and as the car is sitting on its wheels rather than its roof and gravity exists this actually points to the heater outlet union or hose being the culprit.

So now it's hopefully just a question of ordering the right hose and fitting it. And replacing the lost coolant with the right stuff in the right mix. Phew!

Looks like this is the hose required:

https://www.partsmonster.co.uk/genui...13-24719-p.asp

Volvo p/no 3507413 - note that it says this is for 740/940 92-95 only though. Access looks tight and here's hoping it's the hose rather than the union. At least I have a spare block and head out of the car so I can practice working blind on it.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 20:26   #76
kiloran

Also should add that this is a huge benefit of the work Luke puts in to install a clean engine and ancillaries. It's made it really easy to track the leak down because moisture shows up immediately.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 21:37   #77
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Naturally it couldn't possibly have happened when I was road testing it, it had to wait until it was back with you and full of nice new coolant!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 21:49   #78
kiloran

It's fine - all a good learning experience for the nipper! I got to explain what head gaskets do, why engines need oil and coolant, and teach the "water runs downhill" diagnostic skill.

Here's a pic of the offending beastie (dry, without the engine running because I really don't want to spray my phone with coolant)

Thanks for orienting the hose clamp so it's easy to access through the intake manifold.

PXL_20211114_150507388_2.jpg
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 22:27   #79
kiloran

Hmm, not sure that p/no I quoted (3507413) is right.

I'm thinking that this is the right one - https://www.partsmonster.co.uk/volvo...hd-19032-p.asp

Volvo p/no 3514629. Thoughts? PartsMonster also list the following which is for the exhaust/water pump side of the engine - "connects the long metal pipe to the upper connection at the bulkhead"

https://www.partsmonster.co.uk/volvo...hd-14683-p.asp

I've had a look at D088 direct and they only make LHD ones. Been a while since I've messed around with silicone hoses and I've never worked with narrow bore ones like these hoses, if I just get a length of hose will I need bends, t-pieces and the like to run it cleanly without kinking it?
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 10:09   #80
kiloran

Hmm. More parts weirdness. That hose is basically a flat S-bend, runs straight across the back of the engine, above the metal water pipe, to the lower heater inlet pipe. So it bears no resemblance to any of the parts catalog images I've seen.

Does anyone have access to the official Volvo UK catalog?

I know the hose is NLA from Volvo but the correct RHD, non-a/c, non-turbo p/no would be handy for future reference. It'll be the same as an RHD non-a/c non-turbo 740 I think.