Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Saving Kiloran's 940

Views : 25169

Replies : 110

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2021, 16:45   #91
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
Ever onwards, good luck with sorting the teething shakedown issues.

At least it should be a simple fix.

Cheers
Steve
How bored would we all be if there was nothing wrong with them
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 18:23   #92
kiloran

I can't believe it but I'm seriously considering getting a portable hydraulic scissor lift, with three cars in the household it would pay for itself in service and repair costs pretty quickly. Thing is, if I get one it will inevitably lead to a car port, and who knows what else. When we moved here our second choice property had an attached double garage with a pit, oh to have that now.
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 18:56   #93
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
I can't believe it but I'm seriously considering getting a portable hydraulic scissor lift, with three cars in the household it would pay for itself in service and repair costs pretty quickly. Thing is, if I get one it will inevitably lead to a car port, and who knows what else. When we moved here our second choice property had an attached double garage with a pit, oh to have that now.
I'm thinking along the same lines ! I'm coping ok with ramps etc but if I could get something to lift the car to a sensible height in the garage I would consider it
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 08:53   #94
Steve 940
Premier Member

Oh, it's not just me then 😀

Just before I bought my barge, I was even looking at four point lifts that can go outside!! Not really viable I understand.

This has in turn now turned to extending our single garage into a large double, just awaiting planning 🤞 unfortunately we've used permitted development area in extending the house some 20'years ago.....Just want somewhere dry, with concrete floor, and space to work around the car.

I believe the diagnosis is Man Maths as SWMBO has implied😀

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 09:01   #95
stephend
Premier Member

And me...

There is a company (I forget the name right now) that does a drive-on ramp using four farm jacks to get a 4' lift, enough to sit under. I've sorely tempted by one of those.

Or CJ Autos do a system with four hydraulic ramps, where you drive on with them flat then pump to raise them. They look a bit higher than regular ramps.

But they're both over a grand, and so far all I've done is drool!!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 09:32   #96
kiloran

I'm fortunate that my partner suffers from "man maths" too. We set aside a budget for house maintenance every year - garden, fences, shed, patio, pointing, guttering etc and then need to choose which we do. Or in her case, just get on with it and plan the lot! It's taken me a while to adjust to the fact that her grand schemes change frequently and often we end up spending no money - quite fortunate that trying to secure tradespeople is about as tricky as finding a heater control valve for a RHD 940. Every conversation starts with "Don't worry, this doesn't mean we're actually spending the money"

Pretty sure therefore that if I mentioned it a lift would be approved. Portable ones are around a grand and there's enough old car nuts in school who'd be happy to chip in on a group purchase. Hmmm. Time to sound them out I think.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 09:35   #97
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
And me...

There is a company (I forget the name right now) that does a drive-on ramp using four farm jacks to get a 4' lift, enough to sit under. I've sorely tempted by one of those.

Or CJ Autos do a system with four hydraulic ramps, where you drive on with them flat then pump to raise them. They look a bit higher than regular ramps.

But they're both over a grand, and so far all I've done is drool!!
I believe the CJ Autos quad hydraulic ramps are 16"/400mm lift. Not entirely convinced about using 4 farm jacks to get a 4' lift, i assume there's also some sort of safety system involved?

I'm currently working on a design for my own ramps, not dissimilar to the basic mechanical lifting ramps that CJ Autos produce but with a couple of major differences so that i can't be accused of copyright infringement. How many different designs can you come up with for an adjustable height ramp though? Not many! Inevitably there will be similarities of course.

Before i moved here my driveway had a 4' deep pit in it which was extremely useful and much safer - if it's not lifted it can't fall!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 09:59   #98
kiloran

Dave, Dave, Dave - you're going to cost me a bloomin' fortune! I was unaware until now of the joys of CJ Autos. Just need to find the tradeoff between portability, stability, and lifting ability.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 10:59   #99
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Dave, Dave, Dave - you're going to cost me a bloomin' fortune! I was unaware until now of the joys of CJ Autos. Just need to find the tradeoff between portability, stability, and lifting ability.
Far be it from me to deprive you of those joys Alan!

https://www.cjautos.org.uk/phdi/p1.n...ocument&part=2

Enjoy!

If nothing else it gives you a few ideas of what to look for and what's available.
Others are available from Twinbusch but they tend to be ŁOUCH and then some :

https://www.twinbusch.co.uk/

At the bottom end of the scale are these things too :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393703544526

Very undecided if they're a good idea or not, it can still be tricky getting a low car onto a standard set of ramps whereas the CJ Autos offerings seems to be lower to start with. Then there are these on fleabay at the moment :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154698540894

Look like an older version of the CJ Autos mechanical adjustable ramp with a 16" total lift. This type also appear on ebay every so often :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124978597564
(That's a recently completed listing so the link may disappear quicker than "live" listings)

Couple something like that with a pop-up garage from Machine Mart and you will get round the planning permission problem and save a bit of money on the building.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/sheds/

There are loads of options out there, all depends on individuals' budgets, needs and so on. Just needs a bit of thought as to what would work best for the person - i'm still deciding, it's only been 9 years so far!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 12:52   #100
kiloran

Never been a fan of conventional ramps because so much car maintenance is wheels, hubs, brakes, suspension bits, etc. Now I'm getting on a bit I'd appreciate the extra height but something which uses the sill lifting points seems a better option. Also those of us with tiny B200Fs have so much access from the top of the engine there are fewer reasons to have to get underneath.