Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Relocate Engine?

Views : 2972

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2009, 09:42   #1
st5ve
S60 R

Default Relocate Engine?

Ok here goes my turn for the sill question of the day!
Many members including myself modify our cars to get the best out of them, not just in performance but in handling as well. I have looked into the pro’s and con’s of converting my T5 to the conventional ic set up to a reverse ic as per the very first T5’s, I have read and being told that one of the advantages of going for the reverse ic is it shortens the length of the pipe work and helps to reduce heat and increases throttle response.

So here goes the silly question; Is it possible to move the engine further back closer to the bulk head and turn the engine round back to front, so instead of the turbo being at the back it is closer to the ic, has better cooling properties, shorter pipe work from turbo to ic and over all better balance of the car, or does the heat from the turbo and exhaust manifold negate any advantages of the turbo being closer to the ic?

I know in the na BTCC 850 they moved the engine further back as the balance of the car is not ideal for racing (to much weight forward). I have read one or two projects not just on here but other forums where owners have gone to great lengths to reduce weight of the 850 but none seem to have looked at relocating the engine.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 13:01   #2
simonc
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
Ok here goes my turn for the sill question of the day!
Many members including myself modify our cars to get the best out of them, not just in performance but in handling as well. I have looked into the pro’s and con’s of converting my T5 to the conventional ic set up to a reverse ic as per the very first T5’s, I have read and being told that one of the advantages of going for the reverse ic is it shortens the length of the pipe work and helps to reduce heat and increases throttle response.

So here goes the silly question; Is it possible to move the engine further back closer to the bulk head and turn the engine round back to front, so instead of the turbo being at the back it is closer to the ic, has better cooling properties, shorter pipe work from turbo to ic and over all better balance of the car, or does the heat from the turbo and exhaust manifold negate any advantages of the turbo being closer to the ic?

I know in the na BTCC 850 they moved the engine further back as the balance of the car is not ideal for racing (to much weight forward). I have read one or two projects not just on here but other forums where owners have gone to great lengths to reduce weight of the 850 but none seem to have looked at relocating the engine.
i thought it was april the first when i read this.
simonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 13:18   #3
GSMGuy
Master Member

Totally not worth doing, you could prob buy a nice new car for the money...

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 14:08   #4
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonc View Post
i thought it was april the first when i read this.
You must be very knowledgeable on this topic to make your statement, could you specifically specify why it would be deemed in your opinion to be an April fool?

If it is just down to the expense of doing the conversion then indicate the work that would be involved and an estimate of the cost. If costs were significant I would review future plans.

Many enthusiasts undertake projects that either cost a considerable amount of money or seem to be unrealistic, if everyone took your negative input we would still be in caves marvelling at the discovery of fire!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 14:13   #5
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMGuy View Post
Totally not worth doing, you could prob buy a nice new car for the money...

Mike
Hi Mike I realize the expense would probably be prohibitive but I just wanted to know if it was viable not taking into account the cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 14:43   #6
Blue 8
Premier Member

Why the negative input here fellas?

Do you think it was deemed April fool when the guy fitted two engines to his Vw Golf or when the first guy fitted a porsche engine into his beetle? or maybe when the first roof chop was done? no i doubt it .

Enthusiasts are just that " enthusiasts " all projects they undertake have to start somewhere, and normally that's with the help of others

Maybe if like me this thread is out of your league and you have nothing constrictive to say best to leave it to those that have and can help, and then you can like me just watch and learn if you wish too

Ruby-red pearl 854 GLT 2.5 20v 62k.....Andy
Blue 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue 8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 14:48   #7
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue 8 View Post
Why the negative input here fellas?

Do you think it was deemed April fool when the guy fitted two engines to his Vw Golf or when the first guy fitted a porsche engine into his beetle? or maybe when the first roof chop was done? no i doubt it .

Enthusiasts are just that " enthusiasts " all projects they undertake have to start somewhere, and normally that's with the help of others

Maybe if like me this thread is out of your league and you have nothing constrictive to say best to leave it to those that have and can help, and then you can like me just watch and learn if you wish too
You have got it in one mate, I just want to learn and see if this is a viable project for me
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 14:55   #8
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
You have got it in one mate, I just want to learn and see if this is a viable project for me
Maybe folk should read your sig strip, then they might see how enthusiastic you are about you cars and a dreamer your not, forums like this are all about projects/modification/car care etc i guess some just can`t see passed there own limitations.

Last edited by Blue 8; Jun 12th, 2009 at 14:58.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 15:04   #9
simonc
I've Been Banned

its hardly rocket science, the cost /effort involved is just not justified by the gains it will achieve theres far more cost effective ways of gaining the extra power
simonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 15:08   #10
Blue 8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonc View Post
its hardly rocket science, the cost /effort involved is just not justified by the gains it will achieve theres far more cost effective ways of gaining the extra power
Simonc why not just leave the school boy input at the door on this one and let the OP get on with his post , theirs a good fella
I`ll add no more as will only spoil the guys thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to Blue 8 For This Useful Post: