Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Red paint- is it lacquered ?

Views : 1091

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 07:33   #1
overwoody
AKA "Hugh Janus"

Default Red paint- is it lacquered ?

Quite literally in my case!

2009 V70R has peeling lacquer from front bumper, a bit on the bonnet and some on rear bumper....

I'm sure dealer (Volvo) will twist and turn like a twisty turny thing and say its been re-painted, the cat ate the homework etc and generally not be interested...

Any suggestions to try and see if it is or has a repaint or if it is genuine Volvo paint that is going funny?
overwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 07:39   #2
Spike1918
Looney

Yep sounds like the clear coat is lifting for sure.

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2012, 10:47   #3
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Are the bumpers not just coloured plastic with a lacquer coat to make it shiny?

I had a similar scenario on my 2006 Passat, lacquer came off the front bumper but underneath it looked like the plastic was coloured rather than painted. I assumed that was the reason why the bumper peeled and not the metal bodywork, basically the lacquer coat didn't bond to the plastic as well as it does with metal and normal base coats.

Not sure if that helps in the slightest but thought I'd throw in my tuppence!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 18:04   #4
ex Triumph Man

Should the dealer not co-operate, either insist upon seeing Volvo's area technical guy OR call Volvo Customer care expressing your concern.

May be worth your while in the interim period of getting a 2nd opinion from a reputable paint shop in your area first.
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2012, 20:14   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overwoody View Post
Quite literally in my case!

2009 V70R has peeling lacquer from front bumper, a bit on the bonnet and some on rear bumper....

I'm sure dealer (Volvo) will twist and turn like a twisty turny thing and say its been re-painted, the cat ate the homework etc and generally not be interested...

Any suggestions to try and see if it is or has a repaint or if it is genuine Volvo paint that is going funny?
very unfortunate , but volvo factory paint just does not do this , i would say it has been poorly repainted after it left the factory and the paint adhesion is poor . I'm sure that is what a paint analyst will say too . Do you know it's haistory from new? have a close look at the paint any dirt or specks or imperfections in it prove the point .
And no the bumper is not self coloured it is painted like the rest of the car hence the perfect match .
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 20:47   #6
overwoody
AKA "Hugh Janus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
very unfortunate , but volvo factory paint just does not do this .
I don't wish to dispute your statement, but after being a Volvo owner since the 145 days, I'm not inclined to agree.

The paint guy is a 100 mile round trip, so it's not an easy time to book in, I'll do so soon and then see what he says.

After experiencing Volvo after care service with peeling genuine foot mats, and non existent faults with the power steering that meant I didn't like using the car in the wet, I'm expecting them to do a Baldrick and deny everything first then see how I react....
overwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:44   #7
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

easy way to know if it has been repainted is a paint thickness gauge at various points so long as it has not all been repainted any repainted area will be a lot lot lot higher most volvos are pretty decent thickness wise (around 150), if it is repainted easily expect double this (230+).

If so it should aid your case in arguing that the paint is still original, although what i can see being said in light of what is said above unfortunately is that there has been a stone chip which has then been powerwashed to aggressively and compromised the clear coat layer.

And yes it does happen, and is possible. In the long run i might sound negative but pay for it yourself, if done properly you will DEFINITELY need a blend on the bonnet and into the wings otherwise it will be very very obvious that the car has received some "attention" anyone who does not then is kidding themselves the bonnet is one of the most obvious places due to the nature of it to see if a car has received paint. the rear you might get away with but ideally i would say blend that to.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2012, 20:45   #8
pont

Sounds like a minor bump was repainted.
pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 21:36   #9
slicksteveie

Default Red paint

Hi

Maybe I can shed some light on this, I worked at the Nedcar Factory in the Netherlands from 1995-2001 as a smart repairer ( a few years before it really started happening in the UK), our job was to repair small localised areas of damage that occured during the building up process on the production line, these faults could be anything from a scratch on a bumper to a scratch on a roof, from memory the code was 240 or 241 and this was applied as a solid colour, However all the Bumpers arrived pre painted and were laquered. To give you an idea I used to do 10 blow in repairs per shift and then checked inch by inch by a team of Inspectors who really didn't miss a trick.

As one of the posts on here suggested the repair would have to be taken alot further across the panels to allow the colour to blend it although this really does depend on the skill of a smart repairer and this varies considerably, some of the metallics could be kept really small (often no bigger than a small dinnerplate) not all Panel painters have the eye for it, you really would be suprised and shocked at what was blown in and what can be done with the right painter.

Bad repairs are often the result of a lack of keying the panel up and not cleaning the surface properly, the panel needs to be keyed to a much wider area than the actual repair, 2000 wet and dry or a red scotch bright and a good fade in thinner to blend the edges, UPOL do a good blend in thinner in Aerosol form along with a good laquer also in Aerosol but to be honest red was always a tricky colour, any dirt in the paint can be flattened out (use a block not your fingers!) and buffed with cutting compound varying from a coarse to fine grit, a good paint motor factor will be able to help you with that.

Taking time, good preperation and using good materials can provide excellent results for those willing to give it a go at a fraction of what the bodyshop will charge ( I have just fully resprayed an Audi cabriolet for around £300). For those less inclined a good smart repairer would repair this kind of fault easily.

Regards Steve
slicksteveie is offline   Reply With Quote