Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm going off

Views : 26578

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 15:34   #1
Saltwood

Unhappy Alarm going off

Okay, I know there hve been several posts about the XC90 alarm going off without cause, and this is another one, but with an extra twist. Having had the MMS (Mass movement Sensor) replaced in June 2011, I had hoped there would be no further problem. And there wasn't, until the other day. We were at a war memorial in Flanders (don't these things happen the MOST appropriate times and places?), and the alarm went off. I opened and closed all doors, and re-locked, but it kept going off. On the way home we stopped for a bite, and sure enough - it went off again. After we got home, we worried it might go off all night and annoy the neighbours, but no, it stayed totally quiet. What were the differences, if any, in the car in France and on the journey, and at home? Answer was that we had taken out our luggage - and in that was an iPad. These don't totally switch off, just go to 'sleep'. so - does anyone have any idea if an iPad could generate a wireless signal that could effect the car's computers and alarm system? Or any other reason why this should happen? It is weird!
Saltwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 16:07   #2
Big Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwood View Post
Okay, I know there hve been several posts about the XC90 alarm going off without cause, and this is another one, but with an extra twist. Having had the MMS (Mass movement Sensor) replaced in June 2011, I had hoped there would be no further problem. And there wasn't, until the other day. We were at a war memorial in Flanders (don't these things happen the MOST appropriate times and places?), and the alarm went off. I opened and closed all doors, and re-locked, but it kept going off. On the way home we stopped for a bite, and sure enough - it went off again. After we got home, we worried it might go off all night and annoy the neighbours, but no, it stayed totally quiet. What were the differences, if any, in the car in France and on the journey, and at home? Answer was that we had taken out our luggage - and in that was an iPad. These don't totally switch off, just go to 'sleep'. so - does anyone have any idea if an iPad could generate a wireless signal that could effect the car's computers and alarm system? Or any other reason why this should happen? It is weird!
Did you have the cargo net fitted ? , this seems to upset mine as much as anything ! ! !
Big Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Stew For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 22:30   #3
kentishdriver

Leaving a Blackberry in mine sets the alarm off.
kentishdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kentishdriver For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 00:36   #4
Alajota

Change (coins) in the drinks holder?
The Following User Says Thank You to Alajota For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 11:19   #5
renesis

surely you should be able to leave whatever you want in the car besides an animal or child without having to deactivate the movement sensor on the dash?

i thought it might be a low battery that causes the alarm to go off? i say this because it used to happen alot. i changed my battery the other day and it kept going off. as soon as we took it on a long run (to charge the new battery) it seems ok now.
renesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renesis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 20:42   #6
BestGear
Master Member

What age is your xc90?
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 13:52   #7
killerbeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwood View Post
and in that was an iPad.
I think you're on to something there. I looked up this thread because I was trying to figure out why mine was going off some times for no apparent reason and having an ipad in the car is the common denominator.
killerbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to killerbeg For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 23:25   #8
renesis

well my alarm is back to its usual tricks. is there anyway to disconnect it? Noone ever pays attention to car alarms anyway. all mines doing is causing a nuisance to everybody.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 09:13   #9
mpurser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alajota View Post
Change (coins) in the drinks holder?
Is this something which others are experiencing? I have an intermittent alarm fault - checked out and sensor changed and still goes off about once per month. I keep a lot of change in the central drinks holder - surely it can't be as simple as this. Can't see what the physics would be!
mpurser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 21:46   #10
bullseal

Smile

had an alarm fault with my 03 xc90, going off for no reason at all, rectified by replacing the alarm siren situated under the o/s front wheel arch. just short of £300 to sort.
bullseal is offline   Reply With Quote