Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering/Tracking problem.

Views : 5514

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 23:40   #1
heliflair500d

Question Steering/Tracking problem.

I've recently purchased an 04 model xc70 with a steering problem. I fear it may well end up being the steering rack, as I'm experiencing a 'pulsation' in the steering wheel when turning around roundabouts and sweeping bends.

However when my local independent Volvo mechanic looked at it he diagnosed lower ball joint wear, so I had him fit new lower ball joints. It has helped a little, but the problem has definitely not gone away. He also suggested that the unevenly worn tyres -strangely the two off-side tyres were worn on the outside edge, (but of course the wheel positions may have been switched around since the damaged occurred), and poor tracking might account for the steering problem. I had two new tyres put on the front axle, and the two remaining good tyres moved to the rear, then took the car to have the wheels aligned.

PROBLEM - the garage could not do the tracking as the track rods were already adjusted to their max in one direction.

My questions are:

1. What is this likely to indicate?
2. Would replacing the track rod ends solve the problem or is there some other underlying issue?
3. Is this tracking issue likely to be connected to the steering pulsation, or are they separate problems?

Any help/suggestions anyone can give would be gratefully received as I really need to avoid the expensive " replace the entire steering/front suspension bit by bit to see if it helps" scenario!!!

Thanks,
heliflair500d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 01:05   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

Something is seriously out if there's no further adjustment available . The track rod end screws in or out along the length of the track rod to adjust toe in or out of the road wheel but to avoid the need to dislocate the track rod end from the hub and in order to make fine adjustment the track rod can be turned instead to mimic this.
The only way new track rods or ends would work is if your current ones are deformed.
Obvious I know but I'm assuming you've checked the obvious like the pas fluid being a clear blue green colour.....
The pump could also be at fault. Not cheap but cheaper than a rack.
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 02:30   #3
oragex
Premier Member

As Chesired mentions, that sounds shocking. There is plenty of thread to adjust them, I don't see how there is no threads left. Maybe the steering wheel was removed for some reason then put back with one spline off-center. In this situation, for the steering wheel to stay straight, the track rods must be turned more than the usual to one side.

Or the track rods are not the right ones - shorter than the OEM.

I would carefully have the car inspected by some good mechanic. They can disconnect the track rods both side, and feel if the steering rack itself is causing that pulsation. Then check all bushes, ball joints, fixation bolts, etc.. and replace only what is clearly too worn or broken. Not just blindly replacing in hope of fixing the issue.

Also inspect for accident damage or bent suspension components.
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 12:11   #4
pacman67
VOC Member

If the steering wheel is pulsing or kicking back then it's the rack. My 53 V70 did the same. Quite a big job to replace, go for a recon and replace the track rod ends with new.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pacman67 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 19:53   #5
D5meister
Premier Member

I wouldnt drive it until you have checked to see it one of the inner tie rods has unscrewed.

This would extend the rack and you would run out of adjustment and it would give vibration and noises as loose threads.

They should be tight with plenty of loctite
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5meister For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 20:04   #6
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

It seems really odd that you can't adjust the tracking any further, but that's already been discussed.

There are 2 things that I'd like to add as there is a difference between pulsating and kicking back.

I'm afraid to say that if it's properly kicking back, then that is a sign of a rack that has had it.

However, if it's pulsating then it could just be a faulty power steering fluid reservoir, believe it or not!! I experienced this and was delighted to have rectified what I was dreading was going to be an expensive rack on my previous '01 V70, but ended up costing £35 for a new bottle from Volvo and some new fluid. Basically, there's a tiny little brass valve inside the inlet into the container. Apparently, they break up. Its purpose is to even out changes in pressure in the system so that you don't feel it through the steering. See what I'm going to say?! It completely sorted the pulsating I was experiencing and my mate in the parts department at my local Volvo dealer told me he sells lots of them.

Separately, I have experienced the joint at the bottom of the steering column to go tight. The symptoms were the steering felt tight when the wheel was at certain angles. It was most noticable at parking speeds rather than on roundabouts and sweeping bends like you're saying, but could be worth considering. I sorted it out with a good clean up followed by a good lube.

I would very much hope that either of both of these very cheap possibilities sort you out!

All said, I'm still concerned about your adjustment. I would try and get an idea of the angles to give you a clue as to what's going on there
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2015, 21:47   #7
pillapow
05 V70 T5 G-tronic

I have pulsating/snatching back of the steering wheel also, even at standstill, my tracking is out a fair bit also, I have two S60's, the steering in one is perfect but in the one with the pulsating issue, the steering is very, very light.

With regards to your issue, could some idiot in the past have fitted track rods or track arms off a different model?

Volvos are great cars, sometimes.

Last edited by pillapow; Feb 4th, 2015 at 21:51.
pillapow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 20:00   #8
heliflair500d

Default re- steering problem

Hi thanks for all your replies.

So far I've had new steering arm ball joints, replaced a track rod end - they were different on each side, and had the tracking (4-wheel alignment), done.
The steering feels better,but still pulsates on corners!

My next move is going to be replacing the steering fluid and fitting a new fluid resevoir - total cost about £45 - it's got to be worth a try before replacing the steering rack.

I'll keep you posted!
heliflair500d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 20:52   #9
jgjones095
Master Member

Since I had my v70xc tracked last year it kept going out of track within a 5mim drive and the steering wheel never sat right.
the guys doing the tracking shock the drivers wheel alot and said there was play.
This year the car faild mot on the same side. Granted there was a clunk on there for a few months before.
This was also about 5k miles or 1 year since I changed both balljoints and track rod ends.

I have also noticed my inner tie end on the passenger's side has faild.
And having stripped the drivers side down the inner tie rod end on the drivers side also needs replacing.

I have also changed the pas fluid and bottle.
What i noticed was low fluid caused pulsing and growning at full lock

I'll look at the pas inner tie rod ends if outer and ball joints have done.

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 22:21   #10
D5meister
Premier Member

my steering pulsed one time when it was low and it kind of foamed, this was the pulsing
D5meister is offline   Reply With Quote