Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator wire: size/grade

Views : 834

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2007, 13:27   #1
BillKat

Default Alternator wire: size/grade

Going to upgrade the wire from alternator to fusebox, do I also need to upgrade anywhere else? i.e. from fusebox to ... ?

Not sure what the output is, alt is a Lucas from a 260 so thinking to go with 10mm-square wire / 70A. Sound reasonable?

(Electrical idiot speaking)

cheers
Bill
BillKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 14:23   #2
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

The critical path is the alternator to the battery. Your alt may be a 55A in which case a 70A cable would be OK. However if the 260 had AC it may have had a bigger alt as well in which case the 70A may not be enough. I don't know the order things are connected but I doubt the fusebox will need such a hefty feed itself especially as some items are ignition switched.
You only need to upgrade other wiring if you upgrade or add other components in the car.
Having said that adding relays into the headlamp circuits can improve light output dramatically according to some who've done it.

How did you mount the alternator?

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 14:54   #3
BillKat

Cheers for that. I was hoping 70A would be OK, found a Bosch alt listed for the 260 which was given as 70A but no idea what this Lucas is.

I think the B+ goes from alt to fusebox, and from there poss to the starter solenoid. There's 3 wires on there plus the main lead to the battery. Haven't tried to trace what's what yet. I read on here somewhere about upgrading wires, but don't know which ones.

The alt is mounted on the dizzy side. 7/16" UNC bolt at the bottom 'ear' on the block. Drilled out the alt lug a merest tad to suit the bolt. Will have to file or grind the back of the alt lug a fraction to get the pulleys to line up.
Top screw for adjuster bracket is 3/8 UNC (just under the nose of the rocker cover). Of course I haven't got a useable one out of the loads in the shed... I used the dynamo adjuster bracket, adjusted in the vice and with a BFH to line up with the alt lug.
Old May 26th, 2007, 17:18   #4
BillKat

Looking into it more I think I see now. B+ to starter terminal is one to watch like you said. Because of the route I'd assumed it went via the fusebox but I guess not. I'm not adding any load apart from a radio so I'm forgetting about other upgrade/replaces.

I'd also assumed the alt would be always putting out it's rated output, but seems not so. So apart from the right length 3/8 bolt I'm good to go... Cheers for your help.
Old May 26th, 2007, 19:08   #5
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Sounds like you're pretty well set. My only comment on the radio is that a modern CD/radio capable of putting out 30W per channel or more may well need a better supply than the original AM radio driving a single 2W speaker. Not to mention a low current permanent 12V supply to keep the memory going. On an 1800 you also have very little depth behind the panel without interfering with the wiper mechanism.

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2007, 19:31   #6
BillKat

Cheers, it's a 60s or poss very early 70s one so hopefully not much of a strain. Good thing is it has a "U" channel which is FM so can be used with the MP3 and FM transmitter, so no need for CDs 'n that,

cheers,
Bill
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:50   #7
malb

Default What about the regulator?

Have no idea of which altenator you are retrofitting, but for a long time, all altenators had a seperate regulator. Eventually they changed to integrated regulators.

Did you collect the regulator with the altenator, or get a confident assurance that the unit has an intergtated regulator? If not, sort this out before running the unit. Either way, you will need to add additional wiring for the regulator.

Output cable for the altenator should be 70A capacity as suggested and should run directly from B+ output terminal to either the battery terminal or the battery cable terminal on the starter, whichever is shortest/most accessable. Don't worry about cabling back to to the fuse box, and then to battery or starter.

Make sure that the altenator is properly earthed to the block, directly via mounting brackets or via an earth cable. Some 240 brackets are rubber bushed for vibration and won't provide an earth. Other Volvo brackets may be also so it is worth checking.

Was the car originally configured with an altenator or a generator/dynamo, and positive or negative earth? These factors also ned to be considered in the conversion.
malb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:28   #8
BillKat

Thanks for that malb, but all is accounted for. I chose an alt with an integrated reg, and the car is neg earth. Also the alt is mounted direct to the block and will have a separate earth wire as well.
cheers,
Bill