Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New arrival this week....

Views : 1071

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2007, 16:14   #1
48pop

Default New arrival this week....

Well, after much thought, worry, will I/won't I etc. etc .I finally sold my second car today to be replaced by a '66 122s

Have I done the right thing? Will it fall to pieces/breakdown on the drive home on Sunday??? Time will tell.

It will have to live on the street in all weathers, get driven by me and occasionally my missus for school transport, on short/medium runs. Not every day, but on a pretty regular basis.

Its not perfect, needs a wee bit TLC, but I'm looking on it as a "rolling restoration". I'm no stranger to older cars, (got a couple in the garage right now), but they have always been weekend toys doing a few thousand miles over the year, not providing dailly duties.

My wife appreciates that this is all part of my mid life crisis, and it may pass over time......

Site has been great for information, but if anyone has some top ten tips/must have upgrades I'd really appreciate your input !

Cheers
Gerry

Last edited by 48pop; May 16th, 2007 at 16:16.
48pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:04   #2
amazondean
amazondean

The Most Important Upgrade Is To Find Where The Water Is Getting In Including The Boot On A Wet Day And Seal It Up So That You Are Not Looking Through A Permanent Mist Every Morning. As Well As Stopping The Car Rusting From The Inside Out!!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:32   #3
TomTom
Master Member

If you're used to older cars you won't have much trouble with the Amazon. First check that it's not going to let in any water, because this is the killer. Look under the dashboard with a torch to see if you can see any rust where the screen might be leaking. Do a hose test etc.

Second on my list would be to check the servicing records and if you're at all unsure then get a decent service which includes checking the brakes, clutch, genuine Volvo oil filter. Amazons don't tend to be too picky on the oil, mine has Duckhams Q. Lubricate everything that can be lubed.

Amazons do rust quite nicely but it's all in known areas (rear wheel arches, spare wheel well, inner/outer wings, the floor if water gets in). If you find that water might get in, then remove the jute covering on the floor because water makes it acidic and it will rot the floor - just go with the mats.

If I remember correclty then the '66 doesn't have the non-rusting trailing arms, so check whether they are holding up.

I've found that the electrical system can throw up annoyances if it's not checked over, so see what state the fuse box is in, make sure you know how to get to the various connections just in case.

As discussed before, unleaded will be fine for a few years or more if the valve seats are original, but I feed mine 99 octane when I can get it and occasionally some leaded when I'm feeling flush.

UPGRADES
A lot of buyers like originality, but if your car's a keeper then there's lots of things you culd do:
inertia reel seatbelts - I don't really care, but I got so bored of helping passengers to click them in that I fitted newer belts;
a stereo - you can get an original 60s radio converted with an mp3 adapter under the dash, if you want to be flash
suspension - new bushings, uprated anti-roll bar, progressive springs, bilsteins/konis
there's a good article about power upgrades in the "Volvo P120" book - details on volvoadventures.com on the books page;
halogen or better in place of the original beams;
soundproofing on the floor, bonnet, firewall;
extra rear LED brake light;

Things that may irk you (but then again may not) are the heavy steering at slow speeds, the heavy pressure needed on the brakes and clutch compared to modern cars, the noise at motorway speeds, and the lack of fan ventilation in the summer (use the quarterlights fully open).

THings that hopefully you will like are the feeling of solidity, the excellent turning circle, the excellent layout of all the switches, the powerful heater, the unbeatable synchromesh, and the waves and comments from people amazed that something that old still moves!

Have fun, and keep extolling its virtues to anyone who will listen!

Tom

Last edited by TomTom; May 17th, 2007 at 10:59.
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:41   #4
devilishdesigner

yep, the turning circle is pretty amazing. i was in your position in december last year (although i probably had less experience with classics) and i can say i am completely happy with my choice, as has been said, keep the water out and keep it well tuned and it will make for a fantastic driver (mine covers about 200km per week) and you should find it a joy to live with. (make sure she gets some good long runs though, mine isnt a big fan of short cold trips)
as far as upgrades all i have done to mine is upgraded the stereo, even those skinny tyres grip remarkably well in all conditions.
best of luck!
devilishdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:41   #5
devilishdesigner

oh yeah, i also added some mesh just infront of the radiator cos cleaning bugs out of the radiator fins after a long drive is not fun
devilishdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 13:02   #6
hairyapple
Queer4Amazons

Default congratulations

I recently talked a friend, on Cape Cod, out of replacing his played 240 with a newer Volvo. He found a one owner 66 estate in New Hampshire, an older feller who thought he didn't need it anymore. A deal was struck and as it happened the seller had a home on Cape Cod as well and said he'd deliver the car by Friday. Saturday at the latest. Monday arrives and still no car. Friend phones New Hampshire to find out what was going on, wife says "Oh he left here on Friday in the old girl and got to the Cape by lunch time"
The problem, he just couldn't part with his old friend after all those years together. He just needed a few days to reminisce. Car arrived on Wednesday
and all was well.
hairyapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 13:13   #7
48pop

Thanks for you input Folks !!

I will report back on Sunday night after I collect, (assuming no unforseen problems )

cheers
Gerry
Old May 17th, 2007, 14:07   #8
222s
Amazoniste

Hi Gerry,

There's nothing that I can add to what everyone else has said, and glad to hear that you've found yourself an Amazon!

Paul

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 15:48   #9
48pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Hi Gerry,

There's nothing that I can add to what everyone else has said, and glad to hear that you've found yourself an Amazon!

Paul
Cheers Paul ! Thanks for your help, ( I hope I checked all of the things you mentioned......)
Old May 17th, 2007, 17:20   #10
wellshj

Agreed, if you want a classic for driving not fixing the Amazon is the ultimate! Use waxoil liberally in the trouble spots (door bottoms can added to the list) and contact cleaner on the fuse box connectors to get rid of the glowing charge light.

Three small user tricks to aid your enjoyment:
- open the rear windows for better, low noise ventilation - about 2" on 4 doors or estates.
- learn how to open the bonnet without using the cable (only works on post '65 style grilles - more open with double vertical bars) I had great fun doing this at the Basingstoke meet. This will be useful when you want tinker without unlocking and enables spare key storage incase of locking them in the car.
- carry the correct top fuse, its an unusual size.
wellshj is offline   Reply With Quote