Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 610921

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 14th, 2016, 23:14   #931
Redsun351

The S60 Polestar is going to have to be a 4 cylinder 2.0L. not a 3.0L 6cylinder.

It's been entered in to the WTCC as a Super 2000 TC1 entry using the new Drive-E engine so it has to be based on a production model with more than 2500 sales.
Redsun351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 23:17   #932
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
Yup, but if you look in the Polestar section of the website, it specifically describes the 6-speed gearbox (if it was VEA surely they'd mate it to the 8-speed that polestar have already optimised?), and the price list for 2016 quotes the exact same power, CO2 and BIK as your screenshot but against the 3L, 6 pot petrol. I'd reckon the pop-up you have is a typo rather than the, forgetting to update every other 6-pot reference?

Especially I'd imagine Volvo would face some harsh questions from those expecting to a 6-pot if they then had a 4-cylinder delivered because they didn't check an info pop-up on the online configuration!
The figures are also on the Volvo car comparison tool. Something must have happened to make the dramatic improvement in acceleration.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 00:00   #933
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymcp View Post
Yup, but if you look in the Polestar section of the website, it specifically describes the 6-speed gearbox (if it was VEA surely they'd mate it to the 8-speed that polestar have already optimised?), and the price list for 2016 quotes the exact same power, CO2 and BIK as your screenshot but against the 3L, 6 pot petrol. I'd reckon the pop-up you have is a typo rather than the, forgetting to update every other 6-pot reference?

Especially I'd imagine Volvo would face some harsh questions from those expecting to a 6-pot if they then had a 4-cylinder delivered because they didn't check an info pop-up on the online configuration!
There is certainly conflicting information around as the Polestar web site says it is the 6 pot 3L still.

From Australia.....
Quote:
The turbocharged six-cylinder Volvo S60 Polestar and V60 Polestar models that began life as an Australian experiment have now been wiped from the range as the Swedish carmaker prepares for its exclusively four-cylinder future.

Around 40 examples of the Polestar models remain in local stock, Volvo has confirmed, with no more examples of the current design and powertrain package to follow.

The retirement of the Polestar models is due largely to the T6 engine now being out of production, leaving a range of four-cylinder options to carry the ageing S60 sedan and V60 wagon lines.

The T6 badge will likely return with the new turbo- and supercharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine that offers 235kW in the new XC90 and 225kW in overseas S60 and V60 models.

Volvo Car Australia has confirmed that the new engine will join the local S60 and V60 lines in the third quarter of this year.
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 11:26   #934
techwatcher
Master Member

Default At seems Volvo now have a fix...

FWIW I though I would pass on what I heard at my dealer yesterday.

My V40 D4 (not a S60 etc but same engine) was back at the dealer for a second replacement EGR cooler, 5000 miles after the first replacement.

According to the dealer Volvo now have a fix for the EGR problem. The fix involves replacement pipes to the EGR valve/cooler and apparently their head technician was at Volvo in Daventry yesterday to learn about it.

The dealer did not know whether the fix will be implemented as a recall or as part of normal servicing.

As I say, FWIW...
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to techwatcher For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 16:31   #935
Flux
Premier Member

Had my car serviced yesterday (2nd year) and was also told their technical head was at a meeting about EGR issues as they apparently have a fix. Dealer said was high priority as has clearly cost Volvo millions of pounds so nice to think that a permanent solution is around the corner. Maybe we'll all get to hear something about it in more detail soon....
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 18:45   #936
Craigy

Hi all,

It mentions that there is a check engine light that comes on when the EGR is faulty? Mine has just started to put the tortoise up every so often saying that their is reduced engine performance (and I would say there is a considerable drop in power), but I have no check engine light?

Probably the same thing? Mine has almost 17000 on the clock and just over a month before the first service, just wondering if it can wait until the service!
Old Mar 15th, 2016, 19:44   #937
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I've had the tortoise for a couple of days now, EGR getting changed for the second time next week. I'm going to ring Volvo assist tomorrow and get them to take it away. The garage can have it earlier. The total lack of acceleration makes it a bit scary at times and I don't need that.

Craigy, it won't damage your car, that's the point of the tortoise, but do you feel happy with how it drives in this state?
Old Mar 16th, 2016, 09:44   #938
Craigy

No I'm not happy with the way it drives in this state but pitting that against my laziness is the issue here, I'd be happier if they can do everything in one hit! May see if I can get them to do the service early, the lease company might winge about that though.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 14:35   #939
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Interesting update for you all. I had Ariannes tortoise come to visit over the weekend whilst I was waiting for the car to go in for it's "every 12,000 mile EGR change". Saving me the hassle of the trip to the dealer I rang Volvo Assist where a very nice person arranged for my car to be taken away and a hire car turn up shortly afterwards. Cue a shiny C4 Picasso. The car was taken on Wednesday and after hearing nothing back so far I decided to give my dealer a ring. The service manager advised that they have not touched the car so far. They have sent a report to Volvo and they are waiting to hear if they can try the permanent fix rather than the bodge one we are all used to. In all the excitement I can't say for certain if Volvo told them to wait for the fix or whether the dealer suggested it. Either way it must be very imminent.

As I was typing this I received a call from Volvo assist advising that the hire car now needs to be collected by 11am tomorrow morning so I need to resolve with my dealer whether they will extend that or arrange a courtesy car with me whilst we wait for Volvo to give the okay. I'll be pleased when this whole thing is resolved.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 16:32   #940
Arianne
Premier Member

@Harvey1512,

Clearly the reason why the turtle didn't overwinter and hibernate with me was because he had made his way (slowly) to you. Now winter is ending the turtle has woken and you are now the proud owner! Which is handy because I had considered listing the turtle on eBay to see if any bidders might place a bid and look after him in future.

More seriously, thank you for the update which, together with the other recent posts, gives us reason to hope that a proper fix is not far off.

As an aside, and to obtain some light relief from the relentless thread of warning lights and turtles on this one, how are you finding the Citroen by comparison to the premium XC60? I am interested to know because we all pay a premium for our Volvos in the belief that the additional cost is worthwhile. Is it in your opinion when you compare it to your experience of the shiny C4?

Best wishes, Arianne