Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 Arch Extensions

Views : 4691

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2012, 21:37   #11
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Reverse View Post
Keen to hear how you get on with these. I need osf wheel arch, mine has few nasty scrapes, and had considered buying set of these, as dont want just one new.

If you do end up using the new ones, i'd be interested in one of your old ones - if you decide to sell them. To buy one new one will look odd, no matter how much I clean the rest.

Best of luck.
i'll let you know how i get on and if i decide to sell them if i get the news ones fitted. might be a few months.....when i found the instructions online it looked a pain in the @rse of a job.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 10:02   #12
Beavis
Premier Member

the arches have just arrived. they look very good robust quality. they are smooth dark grey/graphite colour. I'd need to spray them to match mine.

they have volvo codes on them, and they have a quality date grid stamp printed on the back with made in germany. i'll need to size them up later, but so far, first impressions are that they are a good buy.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 13:21   #13
Beavis
Premier Member

arch.jpg

picture of the box.....anyone know if the box looks like genuine Volvo parts box? rest of it is plain box.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 14:35   #14
ianu
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuT4 View Post
the arches have just arrived. they look very good robust quality. they are smooth dark grey/graphite colour. I'd need to spray them to match mine.

they have volvo codes on them, and they have a quality date grid stamp printed on the back with made in germany. i'll need to size them up later, but so far, first impressions are that they are a good buy.
I ordered some aswell - and mine turned up today. They don't seem to be the 'extended' type, but are smooth finsish and appear to already be finished in metallic black (they've definitely been painted already) ? My car is titanium grey - with the original 'rough finish' plastic.
Stu - would you say yours are bare plastic or already finished. Do they have the extra lip on them ?
Definitely look like genuine parts and came with a pot of adhesive and cleaner etc. I'll try and get some pictures up asap before I start commiting them to the car.

Standby.
Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 15:04   #15
ianu
Premier Member

OK - packaging. It does say on the add that it may not be in original packaging - but everything looks genuine:

Metallic black - I have offered these up to the originals I have fitted and they ARE a bigger 'lip' - in other words they DO stick out further. They look like they pick up the same rivet points

Fixing kit:

Hmmm - methinks this will not be a 5 minute job.
1st job - change the colour. I have some titanium vinyl wrap - I'll keep you posted, unless anyone wants to swap a set of metallic grey for meatllic black :-)

let me know if anyone gets anything different

Cheers
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 15:23   #16
Beavis
Premier Member

looks the same as mine. Wheel arch extensions_30660629_en.pdf these are the proper instructions - i thought they would be a bit of a job.

i haven't got the xc90 with me at the moment, so i'm unable to check mine for size/location.

ian, did the glue come in the box with yours? i haven't looked all the way in mine yet.

mine is graphite grey so i'll try and pick up a couple of cans, so i can do a few coats over them. i probably won't get a chance to do these for a couple of months, so if you do yours, you'll have to load up pics.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 15:27   #17
Beavis
Premier Member

as the finish is currently smooth. Is it best to rough up the edge with a scotch pad before spraying?

actually, i have Dick Lovett Spraymaster next door to me at work, so i might have to pop in there to see if they fancy any small jobs.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 15:43   #18
Beavis
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianu View Post
Stu - would you say yours are bare plastic or already finished. Do they have the extra lip on them ?
Definitely look like genuine parts and came with a pot of adhesive and cleaner etc.
Hi Ian, just seen the glue etc is at the bottom of the box. My arches are also metalic black like you. they do appears to have a wider lip than the current rought grey ones. from memory, when i ordered a replacement washer cover i think it came in this colour too, and i then sprayed it graphite grey.

the twin packs of paint (1 colour + 1 lacquer) were from memory about £12-15, so i reckon for this job to give a couple/3 coats it might need a couple of cans. but i might chat up the guys next door and see if they could spray them as they do all of Dick Lovett's dealers repairs. Is yours graphite grey too?

I might not be ablel to speak with them until tomorrow, but will let you know what they say, just incase you want to drop yours at swindon (SN25 5AZ) for spraying. Can't promise anything, but i'll ask. Might get a good price if we ask for 8 corners to be done at once if you have the same colour.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 17:08   #19
ianu
Premier Member

Yes mine's 2005 Titanium Grey - I'd be interested in a price perhaps if it's comparable to a few cans of paint maybe, worth a try even if it takes a few weeks before I try and get them on.
No imediate rush though - so don't worry - let me know.

cheers
Ian
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 17:19   #20
raife

Excuse my ignorance on this.

I have a 2004 which has the normal non colour coded plastic arches bumpers etc.

Can I buy some of these in metallic black and simply fit them to mine?
raife is offline   Reply With Quote