Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

s80 power steering

Views : 1805

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2013, 10:44   #1
arsenal

Default s80 power steering

hi all i have a s80 2007 with steering problems. basically the steering loses its power steering. i have replaced the pump and rack to no avail, so the problem is still there. ive been told to have the servo relay looked at, problem is i have no idea where it is. i was told to look near the brake pedals but i cant see any relays there. anyone have any ideas where it could be
thanks
arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 17:11   #2
kenny
Master Member

hi, when you say the power steering is not working, how bad is it?

I am buying a v70 and it is at a Volvo dealership getting the steering fixed before i pick it up.

When i test drove the car the steering felt fine until i tried to do a U turn and it felt really stiff. it is also stiff if you try to turn the wheel full lock when standing still but as long as the car is moving even slightly it feels fine.

If this is along the lines of what you are getting i can let you know what they find once i get it back.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 20:05   #3
arsenal

yes thats exactly what im getting. driving the car is perfect but at almost standstill or when the car is standstill its a nightmare. really stiff and feels like there is no power steering
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 10:21   #4
steve...

There was a recall on the 2007 power steering, to re-route the reservoir pipe as pressure could build up apparently. You get a new reservoir and pipework. There was also a recall on the racks as they leaked, I'd go to a dealer and see if yours has been done.
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 21:52   #5
arsenal

yes i read about the recall but volvo say it does not effect my car. my car is the new shape s80 but 56 plate december 2006, i woul dhave thought the recall would be for these vechles aswel but volvo say no. they tested the rack to see if there was any iron in it but there was none, meaning rack was ok. i thought it would be the pump then and had that changed but to no avail, but this was done elesewhere and not from volvo.
Old Jun 17th, 2013, 19:00   #6
kenny
Master Member

well i got a call from the dealer i am buting the v70 from. it is in a volvo dealership who have just phoned to say it needs a new steering rack and wait for it, Volvo are covering all costs under an extended warranty.

It is a 57 plate with 45000 miles and a full volvo history

Last edited by kenny; Jun 17th, 2013 at 19:04.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 20:57   #7
arsenal

the news i didnt want lol. anyway rang volvo to get a price on the new rack, quoted as £750+vat without any labour lol. just cant win either way
your lucky you have the extended warranty
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 21:12   #8
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
the news i didnt want lol. anyway rang volvo to get a price on the new rack, quoted as £750+vat without any labour lol. just cant win either way
your lucky you have the extended warranty
I don't have an extended warranty.

I am buying this from an independant garage, i noticed the steering was not right on the test drive. They agreed with me that the steering is not right and agreed to sort it before i collect. They then put it into the local volvo main dealer, they found the rack was faulty and contacted Volvo UK, it is Volvo UK that are paying for a new rack under warranty, the car is a 57 plate with 45000 miles and a full volvo history.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 21:20   #9
arsenal

oh i see. mines done around 95k so theres no chance of me getting any luck with volvo
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 17:37   #10
kenny
Master Member

well new rack fitted and it's is still the same!

watch this space.