Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto gearbox drone on selection of reverse

Views : 937

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2013, 15:06   #1
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default Auto gearbox drone on selection of reverse

Hi all,

After at least 5 years in the wilderness in Mondeo/Passat/Golf/A6 saloon and A6 estate I am back in a proper XC70 and loving it.

Car is 3 months old, "13" reg XC70 D5 AWD Auto with a few options.

Pretty much everything I hoped for, but for a problem with the auto box which the dealer cannot (although they have had just one attempt so far) diagnose or fix.

After driving in forward for a reasonable amount of time (normally my 45 mile/45 minute commute) there is a noise when I come to a halt to reverse, after I select reverse gear. This is a droning, almost dry sounding noise which lasts for about 2 seconds. After this it goes away. Stopping, driving forward again and then selecting reverse again does not generate the noise again.

Cannot find anything on the internet and dealer is stumped.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Philip
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2013, 20:20   #2
rnlisg

Default droning noise

you dont mention how many miles youve done?could it be that something is "bedding in perhaps"?.
as the car has a long warranty left i personally would give it a month or two and see how it goes,if still the same then back to dealer or if you are not happy with them try another main dealer,if it gets worse and is clearly audible then take it straight back.
cheers
sandy
rnlisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 09:00   #3
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

It has done 6500 miles and is just coming up to 3 months old. It has made the noise pretty much since day one, it just took me a while to work out that it was the gearbox and not the steering (I was always turning the steering wheel when reversing), but I know it is definately not steering related now.

I got it back to the dealer last week at 6000 miles, and the issue I have is that it makes the noise when selecting reverse on most occasions only after reverse hasn't been used for a while. So the dealer had it all day and couldn't get it to make the noise. It is one of those intermittant issues which I know garages, whichever garage, find almost impossible to fix.

My best hope is to find someone else with a similar issue who has gone through the pain and found the fix....

Loving the car otherwise, and nice to get my VOC Forum posting going again, can't believe I first joined 11 years ago....
Old May 23rd, 2013, 18:21   #4
biggs312800

Hi there

I think i have the same issue but mine is a 57reg v70 d5 auto and done 65k
ive only noticed this whist reversing and a little more now when pulling off at a slow speed (so forwards and reverse) mine does feel gear boxy but i can feel it through the wheels and the pedals a little
I hope someone may come up with a solution

biggs
biggs312800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 11:55   #5
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default Still making the noise

I still am getting this noise, 10k miles since new now. I have a RoadHawk in the car which records video and audio. I have the noise recorded on a few files. I have never uploaded anything to YouTube, but if I did and uploaded would you guys have a listen and see if you recognise anything? The dealer is helpful, but the intermittant nature of the problem makes recreating it nigh on impossible.