Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2007/57 VOLVO V70 SE LUX AUTO T6 - any good?

Views : 1373

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2013, 13:44   #1
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Default 2007/57 VOLVO V70 SE LUX AUTO T6 - any good?

Been considering upgrading from my '04 XC70 to something a bit more fun. This looks like a lot of car for the money:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308829503...84.m1423.l2649

Any views on reliability, fuel consumption, AWD system or other things to be wary of? Thanks in advance.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 17:22   #2
eosfan

Not quite the same thing but I have had my 57 reg V70 SE Luxe 3.2 petrol for just on a year now. Had no problems and average about 26-28mpg or 30 on long motorway run.

Dave
eosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2013, 17:24   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

One word, Fantastic. You must buy it.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 19:03   #4
mikeeddleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Been considering upgrading from my '04 XC70 to something a bit more fun. This looks like a lot of car for the money:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308829503...84.m1423.l2649

Any views on reliability, fuel consumption, AWD system or other things to be wary of? Thanks in advance.
I went to view this car in early December when it was at a dealers in Keighley West Yorks. Car had obviously been stood some time and was covered in dirt. Dealer couldn't get it started for me. Inside it was generally good but with a strong smell of dog. I have seen better examples but you have to wait for them. On the plus side it had an immaculate FSH and I think the asking price is about £400 less than when I saw it.

Good Luck

Mike
mikeeddleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 21:58   #5
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Thanks for the info, especially regarding the specific vehicle. It's taken me over two years to get rid of smell of dog from my current car and have given up trying to get rid of all the hair from the boot.

If it were a bit closer to home I would go and have a look, but it's certainly given me food for thought .
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 16:13   #6
N11BOT

On the down-side:
* it will cost more in fuel than a diesel to run.
* you will motor about like a maniac
On the up-side it is:
* value for money against buying a diesel of similar age and miles
* stunningly more fun to drive with V6 petrol 3.0ltr turbo 300bhp
* 4WD grip for for putting the power down on a wet road and powering out of corners but retaining 'saloon' car handling - the XC70 4x4 does not ride or handle like this car, the XC70 has a more choppy ride but does at least offers some extra ground clearance, good for dirt roads (which in Sweden are plentiful) and with m&s or winter tyres can be handy in slippery conditions.
* I fancy the longevity and ease of maintenance between a high-end petrol like this and a DPF/EGR burdened modern technically laden diesel comes down in the favour of the petrol car. I fancy this car over the next 100,000mls may very well cost less to maintain than the nearest equivalent Volvo V70 diesel - maybe so significantly so that the economy of the diesel will be out' the window! (it could be converted to gas too)
*the car has a good spec - the detachable tow-bar is excellent (note the car should have a cover on the bumper for when the hitch is removed), Xenon auto adjust so are good combination with the tow-bar. I will be a little surprised if the car does not also have self-levelling suspension as it is one owner and clearly purchased as a tow car.

One should make very sure the transmission is good - not a towed-out hack! Somehow I doubt it but it wants rigorously road testing to see it is changing up and down cleanly and over a few miles of hard/faster driving, up-hill, away from standstill, etc.

As regards the dog smell I think you should not let this put you off the car. A proper professional car valeting Co will be able to shampoo the car using biological materials that will clear the dirty smell away 100%. It needs a proper shampoo machine, time, determination, knowledge and effort. The car must be left to completely dry-out all open inside a building (or in the summer dry warmth) or it will end-up stinking again. Not included in a £50 valet! I suggest you make this conditional on your purchase of the car or hammer the price down.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...p/t-48276.html

Last edited by N11BOT; Apr 12th, 2013 at 18:14.
N11BOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 19:53   #7
St Evelyn
VOC Member

A few years back I bought a 320D touring that had been used to carry some dogs around. Absolutely fantastic car, except for the dog smell. I tried everything I could think of - upholstery cleaner, anti-bac room sprays etc but nothing would fix it.

Eventually I heard about Meguiars Car Odour Eliminator and gave that a try - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/car-odor-r...2780%26ps%3D54

It's not the cheapest or easiest to find product out there but, my word, it certainly works; one treatment of the carpets and headlining (leather seats so didn't put it on them) and the smell was gone forever!

Sadly I lent my bottle out and never got it back, but I'd go for it again in a flash.
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 18:25   #8
blackpools60d5

The car your talking about in West Yorkshire, I bought and the description you put on about the car is totally wrong, it had a full service history and 1 owner, body was in very good condition, odd stone chip but as for the car being dirty lol a clean and polish, and new battery. It was a lovely car and very very rare,
blackpools60d5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 19:11   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N11BOT View Post
On the down-side:
* it will cost more in fuel than a diesel to run.
* you will motor about like a maniac
On the up-side it is:
* value for money against buying a diesel of similar age and miles
* stunningly more fun to drive with V6 petrol 3.0ltr turbo 300bhp
* 4WD grip for for putting the power down on a wet road and powering out of corners but retaining 'saloon' car handling - the XC70 4x4 does not ride or handle like this car, the XC70 has a more choppy ride but does at least offers some extra ground clearance, good for dirt roads (which in Sweden are plentiful) and with m&s or winter tyres can be handy in slippery conditions.
* I fancy the longevity and ease of maintenance between a high-end petrol like this and a DPF/EGR burdened modern technically laden diesel comes down in the favour of the petrol car. I fancy this car over the next 100,000mls may very well cost less to maintain than the nearest equivalent Volvo V70 diesel - maybe so significantly so that the economy of the diesel will be out' the window! (it could be converted to gas too)
*the car has a good spec - the detachable tow-bar is excellent (note the car should have a cover on the bumper for when the hitch is removed), Xenon auto adjust so are good combination with the tow-bar. I will be a little surprised if the car does not also have self-levelling suspension as it is one owner and clearly purchased as a tow car.

One should make very sure the transmission is good - not a towed-out hack! Somehow I doubt it but it wants rigorously road testing to see it is changing up and down cleanly and over a few miles of hard/faster driving, up-hill, away from standstill, etc.

As regards the dog smell I think you should not let this put you off the car. A proper professional car valeting Co will be able to shampoo the car using biological materials that will clear the dirty smell away 100%. It needs a proper shampoo machine, time, determination, knowledge and effort. The car must be left to completely dry-out all open inside a building (or in the summer dry warmth) or it will end-up stinking again. Not included in a £50 valet! I suggest you make this conditional on your purchase of the car or hammer the price down.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...p/t-48276.html
Volvo havent used a V6 for about 25 years . Its an evoloution of the straight six which started life in the 960 of 1990 heavily redesigned now ..
Old Jul 11th, 2013, 11:11   #10
turbo estate

To answer the question"is it any good?"

Yes,quite simple.

I have the 2008 model(same)and love it to bits,drive is fantastic(no traffic light burner)but a very fast,very comfetable estate car.

Mine is the summum model(belgium)with all the toys onboard)bought mine very cheap(3 yrs ago)in Germany.
As for the dog odeur,there are machenis(as said)that blow smoke(with a detergent)in you car(not up your ass,lol)wich should elimanate this fragrances,

Good luck deciding,Walter