Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvo and seeking S80 / V70 / XC70 advise please

Views : 1010

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 21:43   #1
Zirynx

Default New to Volvo and seeking S80 / V70 / XC70 advise please

Hi,

New member and first post! I'm new to Volvo but reasonably sure that one will become my next purchase. But, which one, is my greatest conundrum right now. I've done some initial research and reading of posts here, but am seeking insight to some specific questions, from those much more familiar and brand-knowledgeable than I am.

I'm considering an S80, V70 or even an XC70. Different machines, I know, but all have merits and there is no clear winner for me from an applicability perspective, so other things such as engine, reliability, fuel efficiency and possibly even ULEZ compliance, are coming into play. An additional factor is whether my ailing and increasingly troublesome 2009 SAAB 93 wagon will survive the latest diagnostic autopsy, or be condemned.

I'm most likely looking at a 2013 - 2016 car. I do ~30k mies per year just commuting between home and single place of work. The daily 120 mile round trip is made up of ~100 miles of motorway, and 20 miles urban.

V70:
This is my instinctive choice, especially if I lose the SAAB 93 wagon mentioned above. Not being pre-attached to the 5-cylinder engine, I was drawn to the 4-cylinder VEA engine, with its respectable power and torque figures, ULEZ compliance and very respectable fuel consumption figures. All was looking good, on paper, until I discovered the threads on oil consumption, making it now seem like a risky and ultimately possibly expensive secondhand purchase, especially if purchased privately, or without dependable lengthy warranty.

The fallback option here is a 5-cylinder D5, albeit with reduced fuel efficiency and lack of ULEZ compliance. I am less keen on dropping to a less capable iteration of the 5-cylinder motor.

XC70: - I've noticed that the very latest XC70 come with a Euro 6 (220) iteration of the 5-cylinder engine. Although I'm less enamoured by the XC70 (superficially, as something to look at) and I don't really need AWD, the ULEZ compliance could become a compelling factor, despite the reduced fuel efficiency. Whilst I don't need ULEZ right now, my place of work is precariously positioned, about 2 miles outside of the current ULEZ boundary, so any future zone expansion would implicate my place of work.

D5 Euro 6:
Taking the above into consideration, is anyone knowledgeable about whether or not the later V70 can be found, however rare, with the Euro 6 D5 engine? Or is that only available in the XC70?

S80:
Bit of an outsider, but I find the later S80 strangely alluring! I'm drawn to vehicles that are less usual and not so prevalent on the road. Compared with the V70 and even the XC70, the S80 seems relatively few and far between, especially within my nominal production year range, and I realise I've no hopes whatsoever of finding the S80 with a Euro 6 5-cylinder.

One S80 I've seen for sale (2014 / '64' plate) is listed as having the RTI Nav system, whereas the V70's within this production year window seem to be listed with the Sensus system. Would someone be able to advise me of the differences, if any, between these systems, assuming it's not simply branding.

Transmission:
Historically, I've always been a manual transmission person, and have previously found autos (none Volvo) a bit frustrating - frequently hunting for the 'right' gear, changing up or down at the 'wrong' time - but in fairness, these are all much older experiences, so I'm trying to be optimistic that things are much better post-2012. My understanding is that the 4-cylinder VEA engine seems to be paired with an 8-speed Geartronic, and I believe that the previous iteration (with the identical-looking gearstick) found mated to the 5-cylinder engines is a 6-speed Geartronic. Would that be correct? Would anyone have any thoughts or advice on the relative performance and behaviour of those two transmissions? Going slightly older, the auto gearstick looks quite different and so I'm assuming an even earlier iteration of auto trans.

And as a wildcard, does anyone drive a manual D5? I'd be interested to hear about that!

I'm sure there are and will be lots more questions, but for now these might help me to choose wisely at the next fork in the path ahead.

Many thanks.
Zirynx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zirynx For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 04:13   #2
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

I am biased to the S80 and would encourage you to look at the T6 or the awesome V8 - I love my Fat Slag #2 and the sound of that Yamaha V8

The difference in SatNav systems as far as I can tell is that the RTI system is updated from a DVD and the Sensus from a download my RTI does not require the DVD to be inserted to work the data is on a hard drive in the system.

There's a post here that may help

Other than that I hear good things from my brother on his s/v70s but his true love is his D5 XC90

But if you want a super comfortable car with a switchable box auto/manual with a cracking engine then the S80 in T6 or V8 form would be my goto... but I am as I say biased

Here's a T6 S80 on ebay

Last edited by nemesisthewarlock; Apr 4th, 2022 at 04:29.
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 09:15   #3
Sotosound
Premier Member

The V70 offers the best bang for your buck, being less expensive to buy and run than the XC70 whilst being far more versatile than the S80.

To my understanding, the EU6 version of the D5 engine was sadly never offered in the V70. This might be because the VEA D4 offered performance not that dissimilar, plus it is probably a bit quieter than the D5 and it offers a nice 8-speed automatic for those who prefer the car to look after the gear-changes. Given that, there was probably no profit to be made from offering an EU6 V70 D5.

As someone who used to do loads of miles on my daily commute, I found my VEA-engined V70 D4 Geartronic to be my best friend but, then again, so were my manual Mondeos and my manual 2003 V70 D5.

In terms of VEA oil consumption, it's a bit of a lottery. My own V70 is fine but my wife's V60 isn't.

Have you considered a slightly later V60 D4, with the modified VEA engine? Slightly smaller, but a great drive. The SE Lux would make a great commuting car.

Also, it is possible, but not certain that the very last V70s had VEA engines with the modified piston rings. The engine number ought to tell the tale. Perhaps another member can advise regarding the engine number that marks the switchover?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 09:24   #4
Zirynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
I am biased to the S80 and would encourage you to look at the T6 or the awesome V8 - I love my Fat Slag #2 and the sound of that Yamaha V8

.... if you want a super comfortable car with a switchable box auto/manual with a cracking engine then the S80 in T6 or V8 form would be my goto... but I am as I say biased

Here's a T6 S80 on ebay
Thanks for your thoughts - I hear where you're coming from. But, I'm hoping to avoid paying such a high VED and for the mileage I'm proposing to do, the fuel consumption figures would be prohibitively costly. I'm fortunate to have some interesting classics from which I can get my motoring pleasures, so the car I'm looking for really needs to be a reliable, cost-effective high mileage commuter, preferably with some comfort.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 09:38   #5
Zirynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
The V70 offers the best bang for your buck, being less expensive to buy and run than the XC70 whilst being far more versatile than the S80.
Yes, I agree, and it's where my instincts are primarily pointing me, with just slight deviation towards the other options.

Quote:
To my understanding, the EU6 version of the D5 engine was sadly never offered in the V70. This might be because the VEA D4 offered performance not that dissimilar, plus it is probably a bit quieter than the D5 and it offers a nice 8-speed automatic for those who prefer the car to look after the gear-changes. Given that, there was probably no profit to be made from offering an EU6 V70 D5.

As someone who used to do loads of miles on my daily commute, I found my VEA-engined V70 D4 Geartronic to be my best friend but, then again, so were my manual Mondeos and my manual 2003 V70 D5.
I suspect you are are absolutely correct on no EU6 V70 D5. On paper, the VEA D4 is the 'right' car for me - it's really only the engine oil consumption issue that's holding me back, along with reports I'm reading about the EGR valve and cooler. I guess these are 'first adopter' issues :-)

Quote:
In terms of VEA oil consumption, it's a bit of a lottery. My own V70 is fine but my wife's V60 isn't.
It would be interesting to know if there was any consensus on the contributory causes, such as type of driving / usage, type of oil used or even the quality of fuel - I'm reading that the VEA D4 is particularly sensitive to both of the latter, the fuel type being impossible to determine retrospectively, for a secondhand purchase.

Quote:
Have you considered a slightly later V60 D4, with the modified VEA engine? Slightly smaller, but a great drive. The SE Lux would make a great commuting car.
Briefly, yes, although that would take the purchase beyond the upper end of budget. Also, from a cursory look at the newer V60 (and V90) the central console appears to be very screen-based. I'm old school and prefer buttons, switches and knobs rather than endless scrolling.

Quote:
Also, it is possible, but not certain that the very last V70s had VEA engines with the modified piston rings. The engine number ought to tell the tale. Perhaps another member can advise regarding the engine number that marks the switchover?
This might provide some objectivity to that particular issue. I'll enquire at a Volvo dealership but won't hold my breath for them being too candid on the issue!

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 10:09   #6
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirynx View Post
Yes, I agree, and it's where my instincts are primarily pointing me, with just slight deviation towards the other options.

I suspect you are are absolutely correct on no EU6 V70 D5. On paper, the VEA D4 is the 'right' car for me - it's really only the engine oil consumption issue that's holding me back, along with reports I'm reading about the EGR valve and cooler. I guess these are 'first adopter' issues :-)

It would be interesting to know if there was any consensus on the contributory causes, such as type of driving / usage, type of oil used or even the quality of fuel - I'm reading that the VEA D4 is particularly sensitive to both of the latter, the fuel type being impossible to determine retrospectively, for a secondhand purchase.

Briefly, yes, although that would take the purchase beyond the upper end of budget. Also, from a cursory look at the newer V60 (and V90) the central console appears to be very screen-based. I'm old school and prefer buttons, switches and knobs rather than endless scrolling.

This might provide some objectivity to that particular issue. I'll enquire at a Volvo dealership but won't hold my breath for them being too candid on the issue!

Thanks for your thoughts.
Regarding V60s, I was referring to the older shape, which was built on the same platform as the V70. These were sold up until 2018 and offer the old-school style of controls that you prefer. In fact, the controls are exactly the same as those on the V70.

It's also worth noting that the D4 VEA engine offers slightly better performance in the V60 but is no less refined than in the V70.

I too am not fond of the touch screen in the newer cars. It would be too easy to get distracted by a failed swipe whilst driving. When I have driven one of these cars, I have tried to set things up before driving off so that I don't have an issue on the move. A lack of familiarity with the new interface has, however, caused frustration, especially when trying to play music from a USB stick.

Regarding EGR etc., any car that you buy ought to have been sorted. If not, then, subject to age and mileage, the right Volvo main dealer might get any required repair paid for by Volvo. This happened to me with my V70 less than 18 months ago, despite in being a high mileage 64-reg car.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 11:20   #7
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirynx View Post
D5 Euro 6:
Taking the above into consideration, is anyone knowledgeable about whether or not the later V70 can be found, however rare, with the Euro 6 D5 engine? Or is that only available in the XC70?
In 2016, everything was Euro 6. For most models that implied some version of the four-cylinder VEA engine.
However, AWD cars were never brought into the VEA sphere. That's why it's easier to find an XC70 2016 with 5-cylinder Euro 6 approval, since there are more XC70 AWD cars around. V70 AWD exists, but they are not that frequent.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 11:53   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I think all the cars you describe are mechanically almost identical so it really comes down to do you need and estate and/or AWD?

Assuming you do not (otherwise you wouldn't be considering the S80) then I would discount AWD cars as there is a price premium and fuel economy hit - which narrows it down to V70 or S80.

With regards to engines, as said above all 2016MY cars (i.e. those sold after around July 2015) are Euro 6.

My personal choice would be a V70 D4 Geartronic - has VEA engine and 8-speed box - very smooth and fairly economical. Autoboxes are much better these days.

With regard to SATNAV - the post 2013MY facelift cars with Sensus have a much better system and better dashboard if you get the LUX versions with the active TFT display. They also have generally better, more up to date external media connectivity.

I'd also widen your search to the XC60 of which there are 2wd and 4wd versions with the same engines and gearboxes.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 13:41   #9
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
... do you need and estate and/or AWD?

Assuming you do not (otherwise you wouldn't be considering the S80) then I would discount AWD cars as there is a price premium and fuel economy hit - which narrows it down to V70 or S80.
At least in Sweden there were a few models of FWD XC70 sold too. For fuel economy reasons.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 13:45   #10
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
With regard to SATNAV - the post 2013MY facelift cars with Sensus have a much better system and better dashboard if you get the LUX versions with the active TFT display. They also have generally better, more up to date external media connectivity.
Yes, from MY 2014 the navigation system was renewed again. 2012-2013 has a different version, and 2011 and older yet another, even older.

Connectability to external media is about the same from MY 2012, provided that the first buyer specified the car with one of the two mulitmedia sound systems that were available (at least in Sweden). But only from MY 2014 do you have internet connectivity.
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post: