Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Half price 2017 XC90?!

Views : 2083

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2024, 22:18   #21
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Have we really become a nation of cynics?

Bargains are still to be had. In 2016, admittedly at a much lower price point than the car in question, I was looking for a replacement for my trusty long-term ownership 745. I chanced upon a 2000 V70 up at £695. I told the vendor (a dealer) that I would meet his asking price if he put a new MOT on it (there were a few months remaining). He declined, but immediately offered me the car at £550 as a 'trade sale'. We shook on that and I drove the car away. Almost eight years on I'm still driving what has proved to be a very reliable comfortable Volvo. At the time, decent V70s were changing hands at around twice what I paid!

Not all used car dealers are Charlatans and we do them a grave disservice if we think that they are. As I said before, buyer beware, common sense and yes, mutual trust, go a long way to making life more pleasant for all concerned.

Regards, John.
Why don't you buy this T8 then, and immediately re sell it, making a 10k profit. Easy money.

I accept your desire to see the best in people and nobody is saying all used car dealers are all thieves, but there is nothing about this listing which doesn't just scream "scam". Again everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion and we should respect that, but I simply cannot comprehend what you see in this listing as being genuine.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 22:20   #22
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

And I will soon be in the market to sell a T8. As such I have been monitoring the prices of used ones for a good 9 months now. In all that time I have not seen a single one at lower than 19995. Even with monster miles. So one at 17k might be a bargain for a quick sale. One at 9k is simply nonsense. Nobody does that.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 00:28   #23
4x4
Premier Member

This...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scams.jpg (55.0 KB, 93 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 06:03   #24
rmvm

I think one of a boat load of red flags on this advertisement is the fact the car is showing as taxed and more telling is the fact the vehicle is showing as still insured...which dealer does anyone know that has cars for sale that are taxed AND insured. Previously mentioned the mileages on the MOT don't match the advertisement.....the list goes on and on.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 07:31   #25
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Why don't you buy this T8 then, and immediately re sell it, making a 10k profit. Easy money.

I accept your desire to see the best in people and nobody is saying all used car dealers are all thieves, but there is nothing about this listing which doesn't just scream "scam". Again everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion and we should respect that, but I simply cannot comprehend what you see in this listing as being genuine.
Is that a serious question, Philip? I don't happen to have that kind of money lying around and, if I did, I can think of much better ways to spend it than on a depreciating asset like a motor car. I have no wish to own a T8, even if I knew what one was, even for a short while. I don't want any overly complex modern motor car, thank you. Then there are the tax and insurance implications to be considered. I am not a used car dealer and, finally, I have no desire or need of an 'easy' £10K - I'd rather rely on my Premium Bonds and ISAs.

You may well be right, this car may be suspicious, or it might be a genuine offer - that is up to prospective purchasers to decide. As I said before, 'buyer beware' with any used car. My point is, however, that even if this one turns out to be 'dodgy', that does not mean that every other dealer is the same. We seem to be in danger of assuming the lowest common denominator in stereotyping people and, metaphorically, 'tarring them all with the same brush' here. That isn't right, either.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 08:16   #26
4x4
Premier Member

What an easy way to make a very quick £10,000

WBAC will double your purchase price so it's a no-brainer to buy it and flip it

Attached Images
File Type: png WBAC.png (79.3 KB, 85 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 08:38   #27
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Is that a serious question, Philip? I don't happen to have that kind of money lying around and, if I did, I can think of much better ways to spend it than on a depreciating asset like a motor car. I have no wish to own a T8, even if I knew what one was, even for a short while. I don't want any overly complex modern motor car, thank you. Then there are the tax and insurance implications to be considered. I am not a used car dealer and, finally, I have no desire or need of an 'easy' £10K - I'd rather rely on my Premium Bonds and ISAs.

You may well be right, this car may be suspicious, or it might be a genuine offer - that is up to prospective purchasers to decide. As I said before, 'buyer beware' with any used car. My point is, however, that even if this one turns out to be 'dodgy', that does not mean that every other dealer is the same. We seem to be in danger of assuming the lowest common denominator in stereotyping people and, metaphorically, 'tarring them all with the same brush' here. That isn't right, either.

Regards, John.
Hi John

It was a semi serious question yes. I was inviting you to put your money where your mouth is.

The thing is, I think you are fighting a different fight. I started this thread with a simple question "this looks like a massive sacm here, what do others think?". I didn't start a thread with the question "is everyone who sells a used car a thief?" As far as I can see, everyone has replied to the former. You seem to be answering the latter.

So does it matter? You are expressing a different opinion to others, surely that is what makes a forum a discussion and a community of ideas? Well yes and no. In this instance I take the opinion that openly pursuing the opinion (and repeatedly so) that this isn't a scam is quite dangerous. It could lead to someone making a very expensive mistake. So it is quite important that we robustly challenge your comments.

And finally this a forum dedicated to a number of cars, including the flagship model the T8. Confessing that you don't even know what a T8 is does somewhat undermine your argument.
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 09:04   #28
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenEagles View Post
I didn’t think the crystal gear selector was available on that age of car ?
Was fitted as standard from the start on all trim levels of the T8. I think that changed later on but was standard for at least a couple of years.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 09:37   #29
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Maybe I am missing something here, but this is on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364836567...Bk9SR_DFieHZYw

At 9k it is half the price of the next cheapest XC90 T8 and seller has no feedback.

Guess maybe a scam?
There is a dealer in Newcastle that does this all the time, when you enquire about the advertised car he says sorry that car is no longer available now or sold and says I have another car you may be interested in etc, etc,
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 09:41   #30
rmvm

I recently did a check on a number of cars this "dealer" has on offer, everyone i checked was both taxed and Insured, if you sell to a dealer isn't it the case you notify DVLA and obtain a tax refund. I also noticed the postcode quoted for pick up of the vehiche was a Wrexham in North Wales postcode. Well, the first part is the final 3 digits aren't recognised by the post office.