Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Check Light

Views : 1179

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 15:00   #1
basher

Default Engine Check Light

Hi,

as some are aware I have a 98 S70 R, it has a Dump valve fitted (atmospheric) everything was fine for 3000 miles now this error code keeps coming up P0101, which according to my palm diagnostic tool says Mass or Volume air flow circuit, Range / Performance problem. it's had a new MAF sensor a couple of months ago.

Any Ideas ????

Thanks

Hedley
basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:03   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Engine Check Light

Hi.
Simply, these cars are not designed to allow a vent off of inlet charge to atmosphere. It bu88ers up the AFR and you will get a code eventually. These cars run closed loop. every part has to be air tight and all inlet charge 'accounted for'. As soon as the dump valve releases air to atmosphere, the car will be running very rich, although admittedly for a short period. But those periods all add up and then you get a long term code. The fact you have had a code after 3000 miles suggests the AFR is out by a lot each time it happens.

Is the noise they make really worth all the hassle? The recirc valve built into the turbo is very effective.

However, it is your car and you can do with it as you wish. Good luck with finding a solution. :)

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 18:37   #3
basher

Hi Dan,

Is the noise they make really worth all the hassle? - NO. It was ok standard but running higher boost the noise is beginning to get on my t1ts 00. The closed loop air thing is probably the only thing I don't know much about on these cars. I have an internal recirc valve I could try but if it's of no extra benefit I think I might go back to the original one. Now where did it land in my garage????

Any further comments welcome

Thanks

Hedley
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 18:54   #4
Rooster
Speed freak

I keep getting the same problem on my S40 keeps putting engine check light on but mine only comes on if am cruising on motorway for longer than two miles at 85mph other than that it doesn't put it on. It does stall at traffic lights and when sat in traffic sometimes tho.

I blocked my old reculation valve off and only have the dump valve running so i am going to try and open it back up and have them both running to see if it will cure the problem, just haven't got round to it yet.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 00:20   #5
Muscas
Master Member

Hi Hedley,

You may recall we met at Crocket Billet a few weeks ago.

This Palm Diagnostic tool of yours, so how does that work? Will it work on a Compaq iPAQ? Where did you get the software from?

Sorry about all the questions, looking forward to hearing from you.

Patrick
2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue

P.S. Did you get your RTi Sat Nav sorted out with Volvo?
Perhaps the reason it would not accept software revisions was your original database was for 1997 and you are trying to upload a 2003 database, perhaps just perhaps you are required to load one datbase at a time, i.e. starting with year 1998 and going from there.
I know when I did mine not only does the disk provide you with a new database but also with revised operational software. Let me know anyway.
Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 21:57   #6
basher

Hi Patrick

Go to http://www.pocketlogger.com , the short answer is no. I think they are only compatible with palm os handhelds. Got it working in the end it all went wrong last time I did a hotsync.

After our meeting I became all inspirational and decided to contact Volvo Uk directly myself again, aftet all the usual pillar 2 post stuff I got the only CD in the UK, and it works!!!! great stuff so I'm a happy person again.

Further to other Crooked Billet conversations I have now removed my Dastek Unichip so far its been out for nearly 2 weeks with not a single engine check light in sight. So I'm now left with 3 options

1. Keep perservering with the Unichip
2. Get a Rica chip fitted as soon as the rolling road gets going again
3. Let Power Engineering play with a modified Superchips map

Hedley
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:12   #7
Muscas
Master Member

Hi Hedley,

Thanks for the link!

Delighted to hear you got you RTi Sat Nav sorted out. So is the presentation the same as mine now? I was surprised to learn that there was two different Volvo Sat Nav operating softwares.

Re: your Dastek Unichip, I am using a Superchip installed by the previous owner, so I don't know to much about it. However I have contacted Superchip and made some enquiries. They told me that it was quite a mild chip, i.e. no chance of wrecking your engine unlike some other performance Remaps/chips.

They also told me that the minimum BHP increase was only 30BHP, thus giving me 295BHP, however it was more likely to be in the region of 320BHP approx. I understand that the TME remap is not aggressive either, but I don't know much about the RICA remap, only having driven an example, it did make the engine note sound fantastic!

Recently I have spoken to Superchips about my Engine management light and they assure me that the Superchip will not cause the light to come on.

My intermittent problem is that the Engine management light sometimes comes on flashing for a short period of time under hard acceleration, however I am bringing the car shortly to Volvo for a service so I hope to get to the bottom of that.

Good luck with your decision.

Patrick
2000 V70 R AWD Laser Blue

Muscas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 19:56   #8
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Hi I have a S70 T5,1998,and have done numerous mods,I first fitted a bleed valve,then moved onto a dump vlave and blanking plate,as it was offered to me really cheap including the Samco turbo hose set,well for £70 all in it was a bargain,I then got rid of the bleed valve and fitted a MBC manual boost control,now i have the CEL light coming on all the time,even after resetting it sat in traffic it will come on,It is driving me round the bend,the car was very fast to begin with but now,it is boosting to 10 psi on a boost gauge,and isn;t the car it used to be,I will tomorrow fit all the hoses back on and remove the MBC as this does away with the solenoid to begin with,,but someone did tell me because i have bypassed the solenoid,there is no way it can run rich,I am totally at a loss now,and will get rid of the items i have replaced one by one,But it may look like the dump valve is at fault?
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:45   #9
basher

Hi,

I would leave the hoses and dump valve on for the time being. I bet if you just remove the MBC all of your problems will go away. I thaught it was the dump valve to, but it was because I was using the unichip boost controller.

Hedley
Old Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:24   #10
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default Add-on mods and the benefits

Since my R is coming to the end of its warranty I was discussing the benefits of the modifications mentioned above to the independent who services my car (Sheffield & Meredith in Leicester).

He's a R owner too until he sold it and his view is that most of the add-ons have very limited value and the suggestion I made about polished manifolds and engine blueprinting was likely to be uneconomic as far as power increase was concerned.

The R engines will take higher boost pressures, but they need to be modified on a holistic basis (I've said this before) so that all the management/safety systems built into the car aren't triggered or disabled.

So if someone gives you a cheap tuning add-on, it coud be a frustrating or ultimately very expensive experience.

And one last point - BEFORE YOU UP THE POWER ON 850s, UPGRADE THE BRAKES!

See the many many threads on the rubbish standard brakes (70s are much better) on this model and remember it won't just be your life you'll save by doing this.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote