Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

front bumper trim - struggle

Views : 746

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2015, 15:54   #1
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default front bumper trim - struggle

I am struggling without success to refit the trim. The trim is in good condition, unbent, and I am using new clips.

I cannot get the trim to stay in place. It comes unclipped as fast as I click a new section into place. Sometimes I think I have succeeded but then the middle comes unclipped again. Several of the new clips have broken.

Has anyone any tips?
Should I assemble the three sections and then try and clip it all into place in one go?
Should I start at one end and work along?
How do I avoid getting tangled up with the headlamp wiper spindles - should I remove the motors?
How do I persuade both the plastic and metal layers to go in a clip - should I take the trim apart and fit the plastc bit first, then the chrome?
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 16:33   #2
Mark1Stu

I definitely wouldn't separate the individual elements that make up each trim piece.

I found it straightforward reattaching the 3 trim pieces at the front with the bumper loose / limp. Got all the trim on firmly, then slide the bumper back over the edge of the trim and upwards to close any gap. Some bits of trim moved upwards but not enough to detach through this process. Once the bumper was firm, I pushed down on the trim to fully secure it - then fully tightened the bumper.

Hope this helps / makes sense.

Good luck.

Stuart
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 17:49   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

It never occured to me to remove the bumper. Do you mean the real metal bit, or the plastic sheath covering the bumper?
That would mean removing the skirt and air-dam as well in order to get at the bumper bolts? It sounds a bit extreme just to replace a fiddly bit of trim.
Old Jul 21st, 2015, 19:34   #4
Mark1Stu

The car I was working on was a 1987 240. Not suggesting take the bumper off, just loosen the bolts so the bumper settles a bit lower and you've got a bit of wriggle room.

I had to swap my bumper (outer cover attached to the inner strengthening bar and the two shock absorbing tubes) anyway, but all I can offer Clifford is reinstating the trim pieces was relatively easy that way for me.
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 08:06   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I've had a go at following your suggestion. I'm not sure which bit of the bumper you mean loosening - the four bolts holding the bumper to the flanges on the end of the telescopic buffers, or the big bolt holding the shock absorber to the chassis?
I've had a go at each. The 4 nuts behind the bumper itself really need the skirt removing first for access (nuts and bolts rusted solid). I had a go trying a socket and a ring spanner, but one of the nuts has rounded. So to get any further with that means dismantling the whole plastic bumper cover and using an angle grinder to cut the bolts off.
The big bolt on the chassis rail is rusted tight and the hexagonal head is crumbling, so that's a major problem too.

With further attempts trying to fit the trim I've succeeded in getting one side piece in place. But I can't slide the centre piece into engagement without unclipping the end again.
The two basic problems seem to be a) the metal and the plastic edges are reluctant to stay together. I get the metal in but the plastic bit sticks up. Or b) The force to get both in at once breaks the clip.
Then when I do get a section engaged it pops out again at the slightest movement, eg when I move along to do the next clip.
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:03   #6
tannachyallen
240SE

I've always disliked that trim and have removed it from my current 240 and filled the holes with rivets (a look not to everyone's taste, I know). It just takes a slight nudge of the front bumper to dislodge the dam stuff; the trim on the back just traps water and encourages rust to my mind.

Am I right in thinking earlier models had a single piece of rubber that filled the gap between body and bumper?

Dave A.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:59   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannachyallen View Post

Am I right in thinking earlier models had a single piece of rubber that filled the gap between body and bumper?

Dave A.
Didn't the earier ones with the cowcatchers have large chunky rubber mouldings rivetted onto the face of the bumper, but no infilling between the bumper and the bodywork?

I've given up trying to make the clips work. I've drilled 5 holes at intervals in the centre trim and screwed it to the body with round-head chrome self-tappers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 18:07   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

A post on Brickboard suggested the use of the type of bolts shown. The head slots into the back of the trim. Either adjust the size of the existing clip holes if needed or drill new one adjacent to them so that they can be used with the proper clips later. With the price of the clips being as high as they are it makes a cheap fix. Poster said it works well. Access to the nuts is also OK I think. I haven't tried it. I have some new clips so might try the drop bumper method. My trims not as secure as they could be and that's how they get lost.

Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: