Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 D5 Cambelt Replacement Guide

Views : 2187

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 23:32   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantowil View Post
Parts are:

Timing belt kit £143
Auxiliary belt £30 x 2
Auxiliary tensioners £70 x 2

Can get discount on the above to get it all around £250-£300.

Checked Volvo's prices on their website and it said £850. Everyone I talk to lately concerning Volvo say their service prices are ridiculous. Would generally have to agree, so weighing up whether I can do it. I guess the other thing is what warranty Volvo give if they do the job. Will check with FRF tomorrow.
So, say the parts are £300 labour no more than 2 hours say £200 that is £500 + VAT which is £600 .. ask them how they account for the extra £250 .. unless their labour is £200 an hour !

You get the standard 12 months warranty on garage jobs ..

compare citroen , Renault , Audi , VW , BMW etc service prices for comparison , Every one is expensive .
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 22:38   #12
iantowil

I just checked the Volvo website and it is £835 for the 6 year/108,000 mile service, so that includes oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, and most importantly timing belt and auxiliary belt. All other items seem to be charged for. I guess that makes up for the £250 difference.

I think all dealers are expensive, however when a colleague in work was charged £11 for just the sidelight bulb for his C30 he decided enough was enough - and he loved the car. He bought a BMW and reckons the servicing costs are significantly cheaper. Personally I have no actual experience as I never take my car to a dealer, but whenever I price up something, they seem expensive. A good example was the bi-xenon bulbs - I had a pair of OE Philips bulbs for £57 whereas Volvo wanted £127 for one (from memory). That said I've seen ridiculous bills from Peugeot for a 106 as well as my friends Mazda.
iantowil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 18:14   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I just checked the Volvo website and it is £835 for the 6 year/108,000 mile service, so that includes oil and filter, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, and most importantly timing belt and auxiliary belt. All other items seem to be charged for. I guess that makes up for the £250 difference.

I think all dealers are expensive, however when a colleague in work was charged £11 for just the sidelight bulb for his C30 he decided enough was enough - and he loved the car. He bought a BMW and reckons the servicing costs are significantly cheaper. Personally I have no actual experience as I never take my car to a dealer, but whenever I price up something, they seem expensive. A good example was the bi-xenon bulbs - I had a pair of OE Philips bulbs for £57 whereas Volvo wanted £127 for one (from memory). That said I've seen ridiculous bills from Peugeot for a 106 as well as my friends Mazda.
a friend retired after owning a 240 most of his life and "treated" himself to some kind of BMW , just under a year later he was presented for service bill of £2500 . £1500 for service and £1000 for tyres !
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 18:50   #14
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
a friend retired after owning a 240 most of his life and "treated" himself to some kind of BMW , just under a year later he was presented for service bill of £2500 . £1500 for service and £1000 for tyres !
I collected my old boss' Audi A6 armed with a cheque for just over £3000.
There was nothing "wrong" with the car as such. It was just service items and wear and tear parts.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 18:54   #15
iantowil

Exactly. I think they get you in on a basic service and do everything they can find and charge a fortune - tyres are a classic. I had my air con condenser replaced FoC becuase of the corrosion problem. I mentioned it smelled so got charged £50+ for the treatment when they replaced the condenser. I didn't make a fuss because I felt I had a good deal with the condenser, but the dealers all assume if you take the car there, you want everything done.

A colleague in work asked Mercedes for a breakdown on what they do for a service. They listed removing and replacing the wheels twice at the cost of £10 per wheel - Total service cost over £700. Needless to say he didn't take it there.
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 19:21   #16
iantowil

Hoping someone can help. I've checked VIDA and it says the timing belt should be replaced on the 6 year/108,000 mile service. However in the same table it says a MAXIMUM of 10 years. I assume if the mileage is less than 108,000 mile, then it can be left to a maximum of 10 years. Anyone know for sure what this discrepancy actually means?
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 19:52   #17
torroa

Quote:
Hoping someone can help. I've checked VIDA and it says the timing belt should be replaced on the 6 year/108,000 mile service. However in the same table it says a MAXIMUM of 10 years. I assume if the mileage is less than 108,000 mile, then it can be left to a maximum of 10 years. Anyone know for sure what this discrepancy actually means?
Whatever comes first
torroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 23:58   #18
iantowil

Yes, so 108,000 mile or 6 years, whichever comes first...........so why then mention 10 years MAXIMUM? This is on the table in VIDA 2011.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 18:51   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yes, so 108,000 mile or 6 years, whichever comes first...........so why then mention 10 years MAXIMUM? This is on the table in VIDA 2011.
The UK volvo service sheets have always said 108000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first for the 2007- C70 5 cylinder diesel ..
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 19:19   #20
iantowil

The service says 6 years or 108,000 miles, whichever comes first, but in the timing belt change box it then quotes MAXIMUM 10 years - I'll try and post a screenshot later tonight - My VIDA is on an old XP laptop, so a bit more difficult than you'd think :-(