Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2031391

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2021, 05:04   #2361
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
According to the Harbingers of Doom aka the weather forecasters/rumour mongers, we're in for 60-70mph winds and seriously heavy rain tomorrow Alan! :eek!

Finally got the windows back in the door so it's secure and weatherproof for tonight at about 2300hrs, by the time i'd got everything back in and sort of tidied away (still got bits to do so left the tools out), threw the pizza and garlic bread in the oven (which sort of placated Sasha) and sat down with said pizza and garlic bread it was around 2330. Sasha was happy, first that i was eating at last and secondly that she was getting bits of cheese-stuffed crust and garlic bread.

Sadly didn't get any pics of the actual tinting but have before and after pics of the glass. Once the glass was clean, cut a piece of film to slightly larger and in one corner fit a piece of tape (i used insulation tape) on one side then on the other side, another piece of tape at right angles to the first.

Leave a folded over tab of tape on each away from the film so the two pieces can be simultaneously pulled to separate the clear backing film from the tinting film but don't do the separation yet.

Use a strong solution of washing up liquid in a plant sprayer, spray the inside of the glass. Now separate the back film from the tinting film, ensuring you catch the tinting film so it doesn't fall on the floor or anywhere likely to pick up dog fur or similar.
Place the film on the inside of the glass on top of the suds, move it around into position then use a squeegee from the centre outwards to remove the moisture and smooth the film out. Leave somewhere to dry and then using a scalpel, trim the excess edges of the film.

Same method can be used for the glass in the car, i've got a few bits to sort where the seals puckered the film somewhat but i was exhausted, cold and hungry and just wanted it back together so it was weatherpoof and secure.

The trailer is a wise move for tomorrow i think, good luck with the test if i haven't already said it!

I would probably have finished earlier if i had been juggling live chainsaws or running hand grenades - might not have been much left of me but i would have been finished!
It looks wet and windy outside (it is only 05:00, but Millicent (the cat) has decided it is time I was up). I got the bike trailer out from its normal resting place last eve, I’ll check it over this morn and use it for the CCM to go to the MoT garage, that way I’ll have somewhere dry to wait - I’ll remember to make a flask of tea.

That sounds like an epic yesterday, but well done in getting everything secured before the storm. Sasha was probably pleased to see you finished and get some pizza!

The tint fitting sounds a little like applying decals to Airfix models as we all did as youngsters. I had not realised the film slid on a water base, but that makes sense. How long do the panes take to dry?

Time to get Bob up.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 10th, 2021 at 05:41.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 10:22   #2362
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It looks wet and windy outside (it is only 05:00, but Millicent (the cat) has decided it is time I was up). I got the bike trailer out from its normal resting place last eve, I’ll check it over this morn and use it for the CCM to go to the MoT garage, that way I’ll have somewhere dry to wait - I’ll remember to make a flask of tea.

That sounds like an epic yesterday, but well done in getting everything secured before the storm. Sasha was probably pleased to see you finished and get some pizza!

The tint fitting sounds a little like applying decals to Airfix models as we all did as youngsters. I had not realised the film slid on a water base, but that makes sense. How long do the panes take to dry?

Time to get Bob up.
I was most definitely in the land of nod at 0500 this morning! The wind was up and i could feel and smell rain in the air when i let Sasha out for her bedtime garden watering. This morning heavy wind and rain, just as the rumour mongers prophesied.

There are similarities to Airfix decals for sure, however they are easier to work with than the tint film. Difficult to say how long it takes for the panes to dry, there was still some dampness in them when i refitted, whether down to my squeegee technique or what i'm not sure. I know "professional" window tinters seem to think it takes a few days for the tints to fully dry.

Must admit, Volvo seem to have not only over-complicated the rear window set up but made it into some kind of Chinese monkey puzzle/Krypton Factor-esque game of a bit of movement here allows a bit of movement there allowing a third part to be moved which then allows the second part to move a bit more enabling the first to move significantly at which point the third part can be moved a bit more allowing the second part to move completely out of the way of the first part which can now be removed followed by the second part and finally the third. Or something like that.

Reversal is another unique game of swapping positions around and doesn't follow the "Haynes it" principle of "refitting is the reverse of removal" as that just locked all three parts together!

Considering my options for the other door, might leave the glass in the door for it and use some different techniques on the tint film application to (hopefully) speed the job up a lot.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 15:18   #2363
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Search ebay/Amazon for "3M Trim Tape" Alan, it's almost certainly how it was originally held on.

PS - currently trying to juggle widow tint film with a pizza and getting everything back together before the typhoon and monsoon we've been promised or i would have found a link for you!
This arrived from Mr Bazos today Dave:

... if we get a dry day I'll see how it works on the badge.
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 15:19   #2364
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
You won't regret it! Go from underneath and you'll have no trouble undoing it.
These arrived via Mr Bazos today Luke:

They look really cool for a fiver :-)
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 15:38   #2365
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
This arrived from Mr Bazos today Dave:

... if we get a dry day I'll see how it works on the badge.
Some heat from a hairdryer (or heatgun on low) to warm the panel, badge and tape before application will help a lot Alan!

Also a through degreasing with IPA or similar of the panel and rear of the badge will help too.

Quote:

Guaranteed for life too if you register them at Silverline.com (full registration details should be on the packaging) as they are a hand tool - power tools i think have a 3-year guarantee if registered.

As for Jeff Bezos, he's now overtaken Elon Musk to become the richest in the world which might have something to do with this :

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jeff-be...wn-amazon-ceo/

After 27 years it would appear he's sold his stake in Amazon or had a monumental golden handshake from the firm he started in what sounds like a glorified shed!

Richard Branson started Virgin Records from his bedroom and using a local phone box to recieve orders - how come the business ventures i've started along similar lines haven't worked?

Not that i'm jealous of course! Well, not much anyway - hugely is probably correct!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 18:15   #2366
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Also a through degreasing with IPA or similar of the panel and rear of the badge will help too.
India Pale Ale Dave? Out local Wetherspoons is closed at the moment :-) What is IPA? I was going to clean both sides with acetone.

Alan
Old Mar 10th, 2021, 19:03   #2367
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
India Pale Ale Dave? Out local Wetherspoons is closed at the moment :-) What is IPA? I was going to clean both sides with acetone.

Alan
Not enough alcohol in India pale Ale Alan!

I'm on about Iso-Propyl Alcohol, slightly less aggressive than acetone but both are excellent degreasers. If you use acetone be careful on the panel just in casse it lifts the paint - shouldn't do but test it on a small patch first that will be hidden by the badge just to be on the safe side.

The IPA i mean is the basis of contact cleaner although many proprietary contact-cleaners contain a lubricant for the contacts so not suitable for this sort of thing. It's also an excellent medical cleaner and you'll find IPA is in medical swabs used before injections etc and those are often found in First Aid Kits.

Old Mar 11th, 2021, 05:47   #2368
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Not enough alcohol in India pale Ale Alan!

I'm on about Iso-Propyl Alcohol, slightly less aggressive than acetone but both are excellent degreasers. If you use acetone be careful on the panel just in casse it lifts the paint - shouldn't do but test it on a small patch first that will be hidden by the badge just to be on the safe side.

The IPA i mean is the basis of contact cleaner although many proprietary contact-cleaners contain a lubricant for the contacts so not suitable for this sort of thing. It's also an excellent medical cleaner and you'll find IPA is in medical swabs used before injections etc and those are often found in First Aid Kits.
Thanks Dave. I learn something new every day :-)
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 07:32   #2369
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:

You should service the RB again just to try them out
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 11th, 2021, 07:37   #2370
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks Dave. I learn something new every day :-)
You're welcome Alan.

Purely for your interest, here's the Wikipedia page on UN1219 as it's also known :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol