Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

#3557, "960 Head Gasket & Valve Timing"

Views : 603

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 10:31   #1
S_J_Eastwood

Default #3557, "960 Head Gasket & Valve Timing"

Dear All,

Just an update on my problems, or lack of real ones at the minute (touch wood!)

As you may recall from my previous listing, I had done the headgasket on my car and was still having some difficulties:

Codes showing Idle Air Valve - Fixed by replacing the Idle Air Valve with another; the second is just as noisy as the first, but no problems as such. (Couldn't see how to take the valve apart to clean it; looked very secure, so opted for replaing it).

High idling - At some point the idle screw had been knoocked / twiddled &c. by someones fingers while it had been of in the garage. Turned this, and brought idle speed right down. This just leaves the matter (I think) of adjusting the throttle position sensor microswitch to ensure it knows when its on tickover. CLeaned all pivots &c. prior to reassembly and now revs, blips, and returns as it should.

Codes showing Cam Position Sensor - Here it wa a case of that infamous "manky" wiring on these Volvos. My multimeter showed me that all was not well with the voltages at the Cam Position Sensor plug, so, beginning to track the wires back, I peeled back the rubber plug sleeve, and found only 1 of the 3 wires still connected in the plug! The other two had obviously been in for it to run, but all were lose and wobbly. Solved by splicing in a new plug, and all was fine for a while (no codes).

Then (the bit you don't know yet): She began to spontaneously switch off. Driving along and she'd switch off (scary). Idling and she'd switch off (annoying). As time went on, happened more and more frequently, until, limping around the block after a check of all plugs and wiring, she stopped over 18 times!!!

Checked codes:

Codes of Cam Position Sensor and Injector Groups 1 & 2 - "Aargh" was my first thought. Having cleaned up the Cam Position Sensor and checked the plug wiring, I began to think that these were bogus codes, i.e. the items themselves were fine, but somewhere where the wiring ran together they were interfering with each other. Followed wiring at back of engine (thank you Volvo for making the bonnet open 90 degress, else I never would have seen it (my inspection amp now having died)). found one of the two earth wires on the back of the cam carrier was much looser than I would have liked (could spin it round). Checked the other and that was loose too. Tightened these both up (Torx 25 socket) using a ratchet as tight as I dare on an aluminium head, and no problems at all since then; runs beautifully!

Lambda light keeps coming back on, so gong to try and clean sensor or replace it if it is passed that, and replace/mend radiator (as found that when removing allen key from timing belt tensioner, I pierced the rad and made a tiny tiny hole.

Other than that, all done. It wasn't that bad after all!

My thanks to Colin of A & C Volvo and Transit spares of Hucknall (near Notingham). Sourced the engine and other bits and pieces from him, and he was always very helpful. If you should ever need his details, my 'phone number is in my previous posting, and I would be more than happy to pass them on. Alternatively, drop me an e-mail to "sjeastwood@hotmail.com".

Thanks to Mike and Peter for your advice in response to my previous posting. If anyone wants any advice &c. on doing a head gasket, I would be more than happy to try and help.

Cheers,

B-Ste.