Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange Symbol?

Views : 2204

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 12th, 2021, 09:39   #21
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
There's a thin piece of clear plastic in front of the dials. The vent here helps prevent that being fogged in cold conditions.
Woow I never thought about this. Now it make sense to me. Thank you Pete!!
Chudy85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 11:42   #22
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
And that 33 means you are on the verge of a speeding ticket in a 30 zone with a speed camera about to take your picture. Hopefully you you were slowing down not speeding up. 😇
Probably safe with the speedo overread unless these cars are accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
......whilst using a mobile to take a picture.
Not directly an offence as established by DPP v Baretto [2019] EWHC 2044.
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/...2019/2044.html

Perhaps not wise though.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 11:46   #23
Chudy85
Volvo family member

Quote:
Probably safe with the speedo overread unless these cars are accurate.
Main speedometer show 2 Mph more than on GPS
Chudy85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 11:47   #24
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Not directly an offence as established by DPP v Baretto [2019] EWHC 2044.
http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/...2019/2044.html
Not any more, that loophole was closed

https://www.wlmg.co.uk/news/new-mobi...ing-laws-2020/

Quote:
Illegal use of a smartphone while driving
The updated legislation means you can now be prosecuted for the following smartphone actions while behind the wheel of a car.

* Making a phone call
* Sending a text message (including WhatsApp messaging and emails)
* Browsing the internet (including social media)
* Taking photos
* Filming
* Scrolling through a playlist

It's also a criminal offence to use a mobile phone while driving without being connected to a hands-free device.
The uk.gov page makes it even clearer:

Quote:
It’s illegal to hold a phone or sat nav while driving or riding a motorcycle. You must have hands-free access
https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phon...riving-the-law

XC60 T8 R Design Pro

Last edited by Polestar Pete; May 12th, 2021 at 11:50.
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 12:04   #25
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Unless the legislation.gov.uk pages haven't been updated with ammendments, it doesn't appear to have changed. The CPS also seem to suggest no change https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...-mobile-phones
Old May 12th, 2021, 12:06   #26
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Of course the photo could have been taken by a passenger, no evidence it was the driver. 😇🤥

My original comment was intended to be light hearted banter not taken seriously. As I am sure Phil Fisher's was.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.

Last edited by nu11eaf; May 12th, 2021 at 12:13.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 13:15   #27
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Unless the legislation.gov.uk pages haven't been updated with ammendments, it doesn't appear to have changed. The CPS also seem to suggest no change https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...-mobile-phones
From your link:

Quote:
“Use”
A mobile telephone or device will be in use where it is making or receiving a call, or performing any other interactive communication function, whether with another person or not.

For the purposes of section 41D and Regulation 110 the “use” must be for an interactive communication function (Baretto paragraph 37.) The legislation does not prohibit all uses of mobile telephones or other devices, just calls or other interactive communications if the phone or device is held at some stage during that process (Baretto paragraph 47.)

The phone or device does not need to be seized before a prosecution can be brought but it will be necessary for there to be sufficient evidence that it was being used for a call or interactive communication rather than any other purpose before a prosecution under section 41D(b) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 can proceed.

See Alternative Offences and Mobile phones and other driving offences where the evidence of for section 41D(b) is not sufficient.
leading to

Quote:
Alternative Offences
In cases where there is uncertainty regarding the nature of the device, or dispute about whether it is being used, the alternative offence under Section 41(D)(a) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (driving in such a position that he cannot have proper control of the vehicle) may be preferred. In some circumstances the evidence may support a charge of careless or dangerous driving depending on the seriousness of the risk posed by the driving. Thirlwell LJ delivering the judgment in Baretto emphasised that drivers should not imagine the case gave them a green light to take films as they drove:

“… driving while filming events or taking photographs whether with a separate camera or with the camera on a phone, may be cogent evidence of careless driving, and possibly of dangerous driving. It is criminal conduct which may be prosecuted and on conviction may result in the imposition of penalties significantly more serious than those which flow from breach of the regulations. The same applies to any other use of the phone while driving.” .
My bold. Although Baretto argued his way out of prosecution, the CPS advice here reminds prosecutors that mobile phone use implies dangerous driving.

Therefore, waving the Baretto case in the face of traffic officers isn't a fit defence for filming or otherwise holding a mobile phone while driving.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 13:41   #28
Lennyboybruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
There are two speed limit functions, normal and automatic. You have the ASL activated so the symbol appears in the display. You can disable the ASL function in Sensus. Just a word of caution, be aware if you have ASL selected and you are on a fast road.
Many thanks Mike, that's very helpful.

For the concerned citizens, yes I was indeed slowing down, and the wife next to me took the picture - safety first always
Lennyboybruce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lennyboybruce For This Useful Post:
Old May 12th, 2021, 13:58   #29
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polestar Pete View Post
From your link:

leading to

My bold. Although Baretto argued his way out of prosecution, the CPS advice here reminds prosecutors that mobile phone use implies dangerous driving.

Therefore, waving the Baretto case in the face of traffic officers isn't a fit defence for filming or otherwise holding a mobile phone while driving.
It's going way off topic now sorry, just wanted to clear up that at present there is no specific offence for taking a picture. I did quantify it with the comment that it may bit be a good idea.

Yes doing it may fall foul off careless / dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention, although they all have a higher burden of proof and can't be established from a photo as in the OP, which was why the badly worded ill thought out mobile phone specific legislation was introduced in the first place.
Old May 12th, 2021, 14:11   #30
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Of course the photo could have been taken by a passenger, no evidence it was the driver. 😇🤥

My original comment was intended to be light hearted banter not taken seriously. As I am sure Phil Fisher's was.
I was indeed just gently taking the p155
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Fisher For This Useful Post: