Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon lowering springs

Views : 884

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 12:27   #1
packers1712

Default Amazon lowering springs

I know this subject has been done to the death but I'm just trying to get a feeling for general opinion on lowered Amazon's, I'm not specifically chasing performance my main reason for considering lowering is purely aesthetic, sorry to any purists but as most american hot rodders say "give it attitude by decreasing the altitude!"
Brookhouse offer two versions of a 40mm lowered spring linear and progressive and Simon at Brookhouse suggested the former were more aimed for racing and the latter for street/road cars, is this a fair assessment?
I inherited the car with reasonably fresh protech adjustable dampers that state can only be used on cars lowered to a max of 40mm so I don't want to just change the dampers for the sake of getting any lower and I'm not sure its necessary.

Comments and thoughts much appreciated.

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 12:54   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

I agree that the look of a "heavily laden" vehicle can be more atrractive but unless during the lockdown(s) road repairs have improved considerably in the UK I'm amazed to hear that anyone would want to lower a vehicle they actually want to drive on UK roads.

The trend for years has been to buy SUVs or crossover SUVs to get away from the potholes! (I heard recently that Ford has even stopped making the Mondeo because the "market wants" to be high up)

{To be honest I'm surprised there are not more of those "big foot" kits being sold that they used to have in the late 1990s}

My personal impression of Volvo suspension of the Amazon and PV era is that it is quite refined and delicate for its age certainly when you compare it with what you'd find under a Mercedes (which admittedly are on the whole about half a ton heavier - I know - but still - Volvo stuff of this era ain't chunky)

Even here in the Netherlands where the roads are well maintained I wouldn't want to lower any of my vehicles because whilst there isn't a plague of potholes there certainly is a plague of those sodding speed humps...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 13:56   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

If you want to go lower talk to classicswede.

If you want to stay around standard height I'd talk to Amazon cars.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 17:51   #4
packers1712

classicswede I've PM'd you but not sure its gone as there's nothing in my sent items?

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 19:50   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
classicswede I've PM'd you but not sure its gone as there's nothing in my sent items?

Doug.
He has a website; https://www.classicswede.co.uk/
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 19:52   #6
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Guys who I know with the 100mm had issues with it being too low and went for the 60mm lowering kit.
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 20:11   #7
142 Guy
Master Member

When considering shortened springs, give consideration to the fact that reducing the ride height alters the driveshaft and U joint angles. You may need to make adjustments to the torque rod length to bring the U joint flange angles back into agreement if you do a more drastic drop. Reducing the ride height also causes the panhard bar to push the rear axle off center. You may need to alter the panhard bar or get an adjustable one to shorten it and bring the axle back to center. The more drop - the bigger the problem!

Finally, this is mostly for appearance. On a dual wishbone suspension when you shorten the springs you drop the center of gravity; but, you also drop the roll center of the vehicle so the moment between the roll center and the C of G remains the same, or worse increases. Net effect is that amount of vehicle roll does not reduce (or may get worse); but, your perception of roll may be reduced because you are a nudge closer to the ground.

My direct experience is with the Lejofors short springs on a 142. Very stiff and ended up shaking the car badly on uneven surfaces. My Wife refused to ride in the car. Very little body roll because the spring rate was so high that the suspension did not compress much during cornering. I switched them out for the Amazon Car's fast road springs which are progressive in the front. Much nicer and the car is not developing rattles from driving on our less than perfect road surfaces.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 21:29   #8
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Cars with drive shafts are never normally a issue with lowering as the CV joints are much more flexible to the angle.

Prop shafts with UJ's can be a issue with the angle when lowering. Amazons are not usually a problem but 940's are much more sensitive.

When you lift/lower a car with a 5 link the panhard rod will want the length correcting to bring the axle into centre. This is mostly a issue with wider wheels.

Suspension is always a comprimise in function and also looks. The best suspension for racing at Silverstone is going to be nothing like one needed for racing a Forest track. A original Amazon will drive fine down a rough gravel farm track yet a new S90 will struggle on a lot of single track roads let alone a farm track.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 00:39   #9
Bracpan

I fitted the 60mm kit from classicswede with the progressive rate spring, GAZ Shocks and adjustable panard rod. Also fitted 6" wide wheels on the front and 7" on the rear. With 195 and 205 tyres
Very easy to fit and adjust, I have also kept the shocks on a lower setting to soften the ride a touch. I still have a good ground clearance and no rubbing issues.
The car looks and sits very nice. Purists might not like it but most people do and often get comments about it when im out in it.
I have kept all the old springs, shocks and wheels so could go back to standard in a day if needed.
Bracpan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2021, 05:30   #10
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracpan View Post
I fitted the 60mm kit from classicswede with the progressive rate spring, GAZ Shocks and adjustable panard rod. Also fitted 6" wide wheels on the front and 7" on the rear. With 195 and 205 tyres
Very easy to fit and adjust, I have also kept the shocks on a lower setting to soften the ride a touch. I still have a good ground clearance and no rubbing issues.
The car looks and sits very nice. Purists might not like it but most people do and often get comments about it when im out in it.
I have kept all the old springs, shocks and wheels so could go back to standard in a day if needed.
Hi, where did you get the adjustable Panhard rod?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post: