Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Remote/keyless entry

Views : 1259

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2021, 12:12   #11
turboboy
Master Member

Default Remote Fob and Keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
Has anyone 'successfully' achieved replacement working remote fobs for late 98-99 on cars? As far as I can make out...

There's outfits that simply charge £35 for a repair service to swap lumps of plastic, you'll see the parts they use on eBlag for £5-6. (You can do this yourself in under 3 minutes). But:

1. Who do we go to to get an additional mechanical key?
2. Who do we go to to get an additional working 'chipped' remote fob?
To clarify, it is the mechanical key that is chipped and not the remote fob.

You can get a key cut from any competent key cutting place but it will not allow you to start the car, only open the door / boot.

One way around this is to tape a chipped key (or just the chip from a spare key) to the steering column, out o site.

Basically, there are two separate "systems" involved:
1) the key chip which works with the sensor ring to allow the engine to start / run.
2) the remote fob which operates the door locks remotely and arms / disarms the alarm.

The expensive part appears to be getting a dealer to programm a remote fob to "talk" to the alarm / remote locking.

HTH

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 16:16   #12
Clark
850R+240GLT = Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
Advice please, remote fob won't lock or unlock car, replaced battery still no joy. Thought it may be a faulty receiver (on top of instrumant cluster) so bought s/h unit with fob on fleabay, supposed to be working when removed, still noy joy.
Does receiver have to be programmed to car?
Next step is to see if the receiver is sending any voltage to central lockong control unit...once I can find it

Any help appreciated
When my 1996 850 fob stopped working...I just removed the fuse for the immobilser (which also stops your central locking from working) and changed the central locking relay to allow me to manually use my central locking with the key (with no need for the fob). I know the fob is fixable but I've decided to not fix it due to the risk of it stopping working ad-hoc. I know this is a common issue and a lot of 850 choose to simplify things afterwards. I hope that helps.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 17:15   #13
volvo again
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
When my 1996 850 fob stopped working...I just removed the fuse for the immobilser (which also stops your central locking from working) and changed the central locking relay to allow me to manually use my central locking with the key (with no need for the fob). I know the fob is fixable but I've decided to not fix it due to the risk of it stopping working ad-hoc. I know this is a common issue and a lot of 850 choose to simplify things afterwards. I hope that helps.
Tried this...once the fuse for the immobilisor was removed the car wouldn't start...well, started but stopped after a second or two
Old May 13th, 2021, 20:59   #14
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Amongst the garbled thinking on this subject, Turboboy has it right.

This is not quite the perfect solution but it's cheap. I've managed to get a working remote Fob, with foldaway action. I can only speak for my V70 MY1999 - I've two of these cars. Both ETM Denso no-cable throttle etc variants.

Quote:
Basically, there are two separate "systems" involved:
1) the key chip which works with the sensor ring to allow the engine to start / run.
2) the remote fob which operates the door locks remotely and arms / disarms the alarm.

Quote:
You can get a key cut from any competent key cutting place but it will not allow you to start the car, only open the door / boot.
Not all can, but Timpsons (in this instance - Dunstable branch next to Tesco) were able to cut to my supplied blank, this a mechanical key from my eBay sourced repair fob.

See atttached, thus I'm halfway there...

ie Using the PCB etc extracted from my existing 20 year old fob, I've got a remote-fob which 'remote locks/unlocks' my car. It looks great...
But not so fast - what Timpsons could not give me was a chipped key. Thus the 'cut' was able to start the car, but it conked 3-4 secs later. To start the car required my original factory key held tight against my Timpsons-come-eBay-special. Thus only with my now manky 20YO key does it work. Not good.

Seems previous posts have it about right, the immobilser-ring, which sits around the ignition lock, needs to be very close to the factory chipped-key to start the car.

Quote:
The expensive part appears to be getting a dealer to programm a remote fob to "talk" to the alarm / remote locking.
Agreed, thus for my next trick I swapped part 9472461 from car to car. I was able to get my seconnd 1999 car's fob to operate my first 1999 car's locks. I can confirm that part 9472461 are paired to fobs, but not cars. Fobs are independent to the immobilser. Which means as far as I can see, part 9472461 without keys ' 'as seen on eBay' are worthless. 9472463 fits some other variants, whether it too is paired to fobs, not cars I can't say. Again I confirm 9472461 does work as pairs.

I reckon I'll move my immobliser ring up into the dash, hide my factory chipper with it, source a pile more Timpson's £10 cuts, and be done. Not best, but it'll work. Hence I can always get in the car, and swap-out 9472461 if need be.

Yes I could extract the chip from my factory key, and put it in my 'eBay folding special' yet walking about waiting for the day when (not if) I lose it and the pile of woe with it - has gotta rank as very dim.

If I read right, short of daft money with a Volvo dealer, there's no other way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo V70 Fob.jpg (74.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 9472461 Volvo.jpg (52.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; May 13th, 2021 at 21:55.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2021, 19:58   #15
pff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
I can confirm that part 9472461 are paired to fobs, but not cars. Fobs are independent to the immobilser.
Very interesting, i looked at the comms between vgla and immo a while ago and i think the 99/00s had the expected code in the eeprom and the 98s didn't but left it at that.

Anyway if you want to program a fob to a vgla unit it is possible if you have some method to read the eeprom inside the vgla unit and a DECENT elm clone (cheap clones cannot take a new ecu address).