Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just bought a XC60 Drive 2.4 (D5) Euro 5, What to look for ?

Views : 1766

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2020, 10:17   #1
bashracing

Default Just bought a XC60 Drive 2.4 (D5) Euro 5, What to look for ?

HI,

I've just purchased a XC60 2.4 (d5) with the twin turbo euro 5 engine and the 6 speed manual box, it has 118k miles on.
Just wondering what potential pitfalls and preventative measures I should be taking,

Thanks
bashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 19:11   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashracing View Post
HI,

I've just purchased a XC60 2.4 (d5) with the twin turbo euro 5 engine and the 6 speed manual box, it has 118k miles on.
Just wondering what potential pitfalls and preventative measures I should be taking,

Thanks
Check that all of the belts were done at the last service (108k) - cembelt, aux belt, tensioners and idlers. Stick to the Volvo prescribed services.

Other than that - just enjoy!
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 19:40   #3
silverfoxjw

Hi as above, also check other members articles for common faults, we had loss of power due to a DPF temp sensor (very common). We found it to be very good, nice to drive, make sure you keep the oil changed regularly, We have had 2 XC90 D5's 1 V70 D5 and S60D5 all different variants of the same engine all engines that will go round the clock with ease.

enjoy

current car XC60 D5 AWD SE Lux
silverfoxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silverfoxjw For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 20:23   #4
bashracing

The Cam belt was done at 80k in 2016 so I was planning doing it myself when I have time off over Christmas, I'm going to do the Aux belt ASAP as I have no idea how old it is.

Have ordered 6 litres of 0w30 a5/b5 oil and a filter, I tend to do all my cars on the 5k mile mark ( 100k - 105k - 110k etc) which keeps it easy to remember,
the clutch is nice and light but unsure if it's the original at 118k now.
bashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 21:02   #5
silverfoxjw

Hi,the oil had been changed by independent dealer just before we purchased our XC60, but soon the oil Warning light came on, our D5 (205bhp) engine does not have a dip stick, only electronic measuring, when checking, showed too much oil, on draining, found about 6.5 litres of oil. Check your owners manual, because although it says 6 litres, the hand book says to keep one notch from top of electronic indicator, i cant remember exactly but the electronic measurement indicator takes a few miles of driving to measure and reset to give an accurate reading, when i replaced our oil, i put about 5.5 litres in and it sits one notch before top, you can always add a bit extra after a quick run around the block, instead of getting underneath again ! good luck

XC60 D5 AWD
Old May 6th, 2020, 21:07   #6
bashracing

this one has a stubby dipstick buried down the front of the engine block but I don't think it's been out in a while as it wouldn't budge
Old May 6th, 2020, 21:29   #7
silverfoxjw

Question

Hi Sounds strange?? ours is same as yours (i think), 2009 D5, only difference is ours is auto, have you double checked the owners manual to see if you can check the oil by going through the dashboard check? by the way, im no mechanic, just sounds a bit strange that they moved away from old D5 engines with dip stick to have 2 variants?
Old May 7th, 2020, 00:23   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashracing View Post
The Cam belt was done at 80k in 2016 so I was planning doing it myself when I have time off over Christmas, I'm going to do the Aux belt ASAP as I have no idea how old it is.

Have ordered 6 litres of 0w30 a5/b5 oil and a filter, I tend to do all my cars on the 5k mile mark ( 100k - 105k - 110k etc) which keeps it easy to remember,
the clutch is nice and light but unsure if it's the original at 118k now.
If you're replacing the cam belt again, replace the aux belt tensioner too (£60 part approx) & also replace both aux belts (If they haven't already been done). The tensioner is normally recommended to be replaced on the major 10 year or 108,000 mile service, as are the aux belts.

Your car has two aux belts, one is for the alternator etc & the other is for the air conditioning. There's only one tensioner though (That's for the longer belt for the alternator etc). The smaller belt (For the a/c) has no tensioner, its just a snug fit around the pulleys. The aux belts replacement is every 5 years or 54,000 miles (Whichever comes first). The tensioner is every 10 years or 108,000 miles (Whichever comes first).

Belt failure can cause serious engine damage & is a known failure on the D5's, so its definitely worth getting them done sooner rather than later & don't forget the tensioner! Your car isn't 10 years old, but has reached the recommended mileage interval for replacement of these parts already - Bare this in mind.

Other than that, the D5's are cracking engines generally. Change the oil regularly with the correct grade oil (Use nothing else), like you're planning to do & replace the other associated service items like the fuel filter etc & it should serve you well. Has the transmission fluid been changed? At 118,000 miles, that might be another thing to consider. If it hasn't been done before, I imagine the fluid will be quite dirty.

Use genuine Volvo parts too where possible. If not, stick to well known brands like Mann for filters & brands like Sachs, Lemforder or Corteco for suspension parts. Don't use cheap parts from unknown brands, as you'll only end up replacing them sooner than you would if you used genuine or quality brands in the first place.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 7th, 2020 at 00:40.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2020, 11:59   #9
AndyJudge
Premier Member

On the oil levels you need to reset the level on the Electronic level counter IIRC. At least mine needed it doing after they forgot (or it didn't reset) at the last dealer service.

On my 3rd D5 Engine now 1x Original D5 on an S60 - 50,000 trouble free miles. 2x Bi-Turbo XC60's 60,000 trouble free miles.

Regular servicing is the key to longevity.

The S60 I got with 90k on the clock & traded it in with just over 140k.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old May 14th, 2021, 20:36   #10
Rocket Ron

Default XC 60 Owners Manual

Thanks for the info, very interesting to me as a newie to Volvo cars. I have an early 2017 manual XC60 Lux Nav with the 2 litre D4 engine.

I'm having trouble locating a printed version of the owners manual. I can find electronic versions all over but can't find a printed one anywhere. I tried ringing my local main dealer today to be told that they are no longer held in the UK and that the price is now £57 as opposed to around £30 when they were stocked in the UK. Can anyone help me please? A second hand one would also be OK.

Thank you
Rocket Ron is offline   Reply With Quote