Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70XC rear brake bleed questiion

Views : 1767

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2021, 12:41   #1
Nick45

Default V70XC rear brake bleed questiion

Hi Folks,

I've got a soft brake pedal and while not certain, I'm thinking some air has got into the system after recent rear brake overhaul work.

In any case, I think bleeding the brakes is a worthwhile thing to do and can't hurt.

Might sound daft but I've not bled rears before with 2 nipples per side - is there any order (eg top then bottom or v/versa?)

Cheers,
Nick
Nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 12:50   #2
400-ascona
Premier Member

If the nipples are one at the top and one at the bottom, you only need to do the top one. The bubbles will make their way to the top anyway and so any air will exit by the top nipple. One less to seize and shear off as well!
Old May 15th, 2021, 13:47   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

These cars can be a pig to bleed. I read somewhere that bleeding these cars is better achieved with the front elevated on ramps, and this helped in my case.

Another old-sweat's trick: Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... pump rapidly on the pedal for 10 secs to atomise air into thousands of minute bubbles, these bleed more easily than one or two stubborn air-pockets. It can take 5 minutes for air to return to contiguous pockets.

Rinse & Repeat.

Pressure-bleeders are best for most jobs, but if it's really stubborn follow with vacuum, using a MityVac or similar. If that fails, feed-up using the Mityvac's reverse funtion. ie put fluid in at the nipple end, and push the air up - the way it wants to go naturally - into the reservoir.

But make sure there's no cr*p in the nipples or you'll soon be cryin' in your beer.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; May 15th, 2021 at 14:01.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 15:29   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I found when using a pressure bleeding system that a low pressure and go round all wheels and do it again a couple of times did it best.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 16:22   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I found when using a pressure bleeding system that a low pressure and go round all wheels and do it again a couple of times did it best.
Seconded. I use my Gunson Ezibleed and it's a totally straightforward job, no dramas.
Old May 15th, 2021, 20:50   #6
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Agreed, they're a long way from the hardest vehicles to bleed, many other makes are far worse.

After swapping an ABS unit I was struggling with mine. My pressure-bleeder got there, but not quite. Nothing really worked.

Read about the 'ramp thing'. With nothing to lose, I parked nose-up on a very steep incline. Rapid-prodded the pedal - and finally got a solid pedal.

I'm not fan of the Gunson Eezibleed, but when they work, they work well. . Seem to leak after 3-4 uses, and the pricier alternatives are not much better, I wound-up making a home-brew with a garden-sprayer, and the remnants of my various presure-bleeders.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; May 15th, 2021 at 20:56.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 21:16   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

I've used the Sealey VS820 for 6 years and it's never failed me on any car or van. It also fits my cooling system for quick and easy pressure testing.

Old May 15th, 2021, 21:18   #8
Nick45

Thanks for all the advice folks. Got to say I'm not looking forward to the job as the nipples on the rear offside have had no dust covers on for what seems a long time - really poor condition. Maybe the smart move is to order some spares before I start...
Nick45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2021, 22:44   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick45 View Post
Thanks for all the advice folks. Got to say I'm not looking forward to the job as the nipples on the rear offside have had no dust covers on for what seems a long time - really poor condition. Maybe the smart move is to order some spares before I start...
I know all about that! Having spares handy won't do any harm, or at least give the rusted bleed nipples a generous coating of penetrating fluid a good few hours before you plan on tackling the work.
Old May 16th, 2021, 00:07   #10
Bashy
Aged Member

The Gunson failed me, on my V70, although no air was coming out of the rears, the (a little from the fronts) its still soft pedal :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post: